Author Topic: Mike Kasper just got the World Record!  (Read 34053 times)

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Mike Kasper just got the World Record!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:45 pm »
We all know how i feel about the frampton score but the article was pretty good as far as i'm concerned.

Great Job Mike.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
I will certainly give props to the article, on principle of there being an article, and I'm glad to see Mike's achievement on the front page.

I will also laugh at myself as I have now spotted a highly-ironic typo in my earlier post ("aritcle"). Nice one, hotshot...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:04:55 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »
We all know how i feel about the frampton score but the article was pretty good as far as i'm concerned.

Great Job Mike.

Don't worry Ken, I have a very strong feeling that this is just the first of many articles written about Mike.  Your long time friend is a natural at classic gaming.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline d3scride

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
She just had to mention Calvin Frampton, followed by the statement, "it wasn’t until 2010 that Steve Wiebe and Mark Kiehl proved without a doubt that scores over a million were not only probable but attainable."

There's so much wrong here, both in her logic and diction. 

Cat DeSpira, try harder, or you will get booed off the stage.

Yeah I don't get the Calvin Frampton plug. Just because she had some involvement with researching this guy's score... There is no reason it should be mentioned in this article at all. Mark was the past champion.
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 09:15:48 pm »
Don't worry Ken, I have a very strong feeling that this is just the first of many articles written about Mike.  Your long time friend is a natural at classic gaming.

Hear, hear.  Mike's a force - both naturally good and devoted.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »
Yeah I don't get the Calvin Frampton plug. Just because she had some involvement with researching this guy's score... There is no reason it should be mentioned in this article at all. Mark was the past champion.

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about, here is the classic thread that started it all:
http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,2243.0.html

If you look at the rest of Cat's work and, uh, activism (for lack of a better word), you'll note that she has a preoccupation/fascination with the romantic "lost history" archetype, and enjoys casting herself in the role of the lone voice struggling against opposing forces that are clamoring to silence and suppress it. You'll see this "Cat vs. the World" (and "The World vs. Cat") narrative repeating itself again and again.

Not a value judgment, and she practically describes herself that way (if not in those words), but that's kinda her "thing", and the elements of the Calvin Frampton story make it irresistible to her.

Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:34 pm »
I'm definitely more inclined to believe Calvin's score now than when that thread first started.  Reading back through I spotted numerous incorrect assumptions (some made by me) as to what constitutes a perfect game of DKJr.

Maybe he did do it with only hideout point-pressing.

Now I'm curious why the score was removed from TG.  There are other Jr scores from the 80s mentioned in that thread, yet no Jr score from the 80s which eclipsed Billy's 80s score survived in the TG database.  I'm just going to assume - until someone sets me straight - this was part of another evil Billy Mitchell plan.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:40 am »
I'm definitely more inclined to believe Calvin's score now than when that thread first started.  Reading back through I spotted numerous incorrect assumptions (some made by me) as to what constitutes a perfect game of DKJr.

Yeah, I read some of the thread yet again, and I go back and forth. It's maddening actually, in that there are way too many things to support the pro-Frampton case to cry "bogus", yet there's so much that doesn't add up, and no smoking gun either way!

The best piece of evidence in his favor is the newspaper clipping that includes the score and the assertion that the game was 3 and a half hours long. The time is really key there, because 3 and a half hours is just about right for a game that big, and the simple fact that such a specific detail is not-wrong strongly supports the claim. Good on Cat for finding that clipping from an actual local non-video gamey news source because it's impossible to discount, whereas a score in a video game magazine would automatically be monstrously suspicious.

The major problem with his side is that everything except the basic rudiments of the game seems to have been wiped from his memory. Human memory is shit though, especially after the passage of decades, and especially especially when what you're remembering is something you were into during your youth/teenage years. A lot of who we were and what we did during those years is alien to us when we look back from adulthood. It's like another life. So I can't say "no way" just because of his lack of memory either.

I have to think, how many NES games did I defeat 25 years ago whose finer points I can't recall? Of course, absolutely crushing DK Junior would require a much deeper relationship with the game than anyone ever needed to have with an NES title, but memory of time spent plugging away at something can be shockingly feeble, no matter how intense an experience it was.

I'd forgotten totally about the underwater bomb-defusing level in the NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game until reading about it a few months ago in an article, and it instantly jogged my memory about that shit and how suicidally agonizing it was (though not many specifics came back).

For all any of us, including Calvin, knows, Calvin DID bump into the kill screen multiple times on the way to that big game, and even worked that into his strategy, but simply has no memory of any of it. Or he might have been close enough to objects on his other kill screens to incorrectly conclude that they're what killed him. Hard to say.

The score also might be some sort of "honest mistake," in the sense that he's not lying, he believes that he did it, but he's misremembering some critical detail, or perhaps several.

Specifically, I am extremely partial to Dean's "the score was written down incorrectly" theory. That is, 1,059,300 (or 1,025,900, or some such) was accidentally written down as 1,259,300. He rolled it, but the latter digits got misprinted somehow by the reporter. Anybody who has ever written these 7-digit scores down knows exactly how our brains like to screw with them, *especially when the number after a comma is a zero*.

Without detailing it specifically (this post is too long) that theory would explain and resolve virtually every issue. Calvin (and the arcade owner who showed up in the thread) could and would remember a big 1M+ game while easily forgetting whether it was 1.0 or 1.2.

They were really only adamant about the million. Not necessarily the digits after it. (And how could they be? How could Calvin remember the exact digits in the score of a specific game while not remembering how many points fruit-smashes are worth?)

The digit-fudging theory works for me: Calvin scored 1,0xx,x00 (with some mixture of a 2, 5, 9 and/or 3 in the "x" spots), and the real number got lost on the way to the paper. Simple. An innocent, and very common, mistake, everyone's memory is accurate to the extent of what they remember (and none of them have to be a liar), and the point-pressing is feasible. This theory just makes a whole lot of sense, more than any other.

Nobody has any right to be sure either way, though, and especially not because they (in Cat's words) "just know that something feels right." Intuiting that Calvin is honest, even if the intuition is correct, doesn't mean he wasn't mistaken about the exact score. I'm with Voltaire: "doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:17:40 am by ChrisP »

konghusker

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 01:31:37 pm »
Congrats Mike.  It was fun watching some of your attempts. 

Offline jdgilliam1

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:51 am »
AWESOME JOB!! CONGRATS MIKE!!
John Gilliam
DONKEY KONG (ARCADE) - 666,200
DONKEY KONG JUNIOR (ARCADE) - 156,700
Member for 11 Years

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:57 pm »
Congrats Mike if I didn't say so already. Also I would agree that Calvin got a 1,059 score and just no way he got a 1.259,000 score. Regardless of time if you play a game THAT long and then the local paper and media gets involved which people MAKE a big deal about it you would remember the details a lot more. Plus did he backjump leech the hideout or just normal jump leech? That is a HUGE difference in points over time. I would imagine the issue is he BROKE a million just not 1.2 million. Didn't think much about it and moved on. Has he concluded that he ABSOLUTELY got 1.2 million on the game or just that he rolled the score? Where is the PHOTO of the score on the machine? If that is that posted somewhere (Which would have been interesting and pertinent) then the argument goes away completely.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:12 pm »
It would be a very strange thing if both Calvin and the arcade owner were lying or misremembering that he rolled 1 million, so I've decided that I believe that part of it, because disbelieving it would necessitate that there's willful deceit going on and there's no need to get conspiratorial.

I don't think either of them were being deceptive, but I DO sense that Calvin might have been pretending to remember more than he actually did in response to Dean's questions, so as to back up his story. It would be frustrating to know that you did something and not be able to remember the answers to questions about the mechanics of it.

I beat Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out back in the day, and I have a friend who still refuses to believe it. The thing is, I'll be damned if I can remember anything about how I did it. If he started asking me for details, I would be tempted to research it. No evil motives, *I* know I did it, I'd just want to be able to be convincing in the face of doubt.

As for the question about why somebody would point press the hideouts to the point of getting 1M, it actually makes sense why someone would leech there (and the vines) even without knowing of the kill screen. Personal experience these last few weeks showed me why.

On several games I knew I had no shot at the kill screen, but I simply wanted to raise my personal best score, so on each cycle I just went for the easy hideout points because they were both hugely profitable and extremely low risk, whereas the very next screen (chains) was always going to present the greatest danger. So I said, "if it's my destiny to die on the next screen, I'd rather die with 350K than with 330K, so, time to hump sparks."

In other words, if I'm Calvin and I know that I can get a higher score while facing fewer iterations of the deadlier boards, of course I'm gonna do it that way, even without knowing of a kill screen.

Having said that, while 1.0 is possible with "casual" point pressing, 1.2 is a different story. For 1.2 you have to get the big fruit drops and timer bonuses, and therefore WOULD have to stick your neck out and seriously grind ass in a way that you wouldn't unless you knew that the game ended at L22.

It was a misprint. It had to be.

The thing is, even if it was only 1,0xx,x00, it doesn't change much. Cat was right to be interested in the score and to consider it significant, since it would have been the record (over Billy's) all the way up until 2008 (or 9, depending). Neither she nor Calvin himself really need to fight for it being 1.2 though because 1.0 is effectively the same, for the purposes of it being a "lost world record." It's just a whole lot more believable at 1.0. In fact, if 1,059 was the score brought to CAGdc, it might have never even been questioned.

Where Cat is wrong is the assertion that anyone, at any point, ever said that 1.2 million was "impossible." Nobody did. Not in 2009, not in 1982! What they said was that *this particular gamer* getting 1.2 was impossible without knowledge of the kill screen. Subtle but critical difference.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:27:50 pm by ChrisP »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 07:10:37 pm »
The PSP article showed an fact of information that is really scary.   HE ONLY HAS BEEN PLAYING CLASSIC GAMES FOR THE PAST 8 MONTHS!  Considering how he performed at the battle of the arcades this piece of information is outstanding.  He basically can get almost any arcade record if he wants it.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »
The PSP article showed an fact of information that is really scary.   HE ONLY HAS BEEN PLAYING CLASSIC GAMES FOR THE PAST 8 MONTHS!  Considering how he performed at the battle of the arcades this piece of information is outstanding.  He basically can get almost any arcade record if he wants it.

Thats not totally true. Mike has been an avid gamer all his life. We basically grew up in arcades and around here ALL the tops scores in every arcade game read KEN... SAM or MAK (MAK is Mike) He has played megatouch games for cash and prizes as well as various consoles including classic compelations on those consoles.

It is true that he just recently began playing on dedicated cabinets again and the fact that he so quickly grabbed the DKJR record is very impressive. There is much much more to come, this is only the beginning. I see him swinging his way into the DARK TOWER very soon....

-Ken

PS: I find it funny that that douche PSP said "After reconnecting with an old friend" instead of my name and "at a sanctioned Twin Galaxies arcade" instead of naming it. Grow up already Patrick...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:42:47 pm by Scoundrl »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer