Author Topic: My 2019 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame Inductee  (Read 6276 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My 2019 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame Inductee
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:11:05 pm »
Since this is the third year of me doing this I will yet again go off of the parallel for how many people the Baseball Hall of Fame inducted during it's third year. For some reason baseball only inducted 1 person in it's third year, and so for 2019, I am going to induct only one person.  I've noticed that there is only one person in my Hall of Fame connected to Donkey Kong, and that's Billy Mitchell.  This year I want to change that.  So this year I am going to give it to the person I feel has been the most groundbreaking, and influential Donkey Kong player of all time.  That player to me is Dean Saglio.  So for 2019, he's my one and only choice.

P.S. I don't kick people out of my Hall of Fame once they have been put in.  So yeah, I am leaving controversial picks in from the first year.

Donald Hayes
Billy Mitchell*
Matt Hall
Dwayne Richard
Todd Rogers*

*Both Todd Rogers, and Billy Mitchell were kicked out of Twin Galaxies after they were put in my personal Hall of Fame.

Martin Bedard
Tom Votava
John McCallister

Dean Saglio : First player ever to hit 1.2 million on Donkey Kong.  Many of his strategies are copied by others who built off of what Dean has done.  He was plugging away at this game before it was cool to grind at a game.  He's well deserving in my book.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:15:22 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: My 2019 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:56:18 pm »
Dean is most definitely deserving.  I'm relatively new to the scene (4 years).  No love for "Chris Caliente" if that's really his name (TiF)? 
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »
Lol it's Chris Clemente, but Caliente is way cooler so let's just go with that. Hot hot hot!
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »
LOL.  I misread it, didn't I?  A little Freudian slip.  I also think whoever Icarus is deserves some consideration.
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:11 pm »
Chris Clemente is a great gamer, but I have a couple of issues.

1) He hasn't been around that long.  He came onto the scene in early 2013.  I tend to like to give it to players who have been around for a good 10 years or more.
2) He's king of the games that are not popular.  Meaning, he doesn't have much cred on the major popular games.
3) He ditched the last BOTA when he was supposed to play.

Still he's on my short list for players.   His two MGL wins are great to look at, and him being the king of the non popular arcade/MAME games a strong selling point.  Like I said, I tend to give a lot of cred to how long you have been around.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:13 pm »
I've updated your 2017 list:

Donald Hayes
Billy Mitchell*
Matt Hall
Dwayne Richard
Todd Rogers*

*megacheats
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
Point well taken about gamers being on the scene.  5 years isn't long enough IMO.  That being said, Barra nailed this one.  35+ years on the scene for these two  <snek> <snek> <snek>

I've updated your 2017 list:

Donald Hayes
Billy Mitchell*
Matt Hall
Dwayne Richard
Todd Rogers*

*megacheats

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:14:20 pm »
Alright, I guess I can do that.  They shall have an asterisk from now on showing that both were kicked out of Twin Galaxies after being placed in the Hall of Fame.  I can do that. :)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:43:16 pm »
Least controversial inductee ever? If anything, I’d have guessed he should already have been added.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:46:43 am »

ill be in there soon LIT
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:23:44 am »

ill be in there soon LIT

Alongside Billy and Todd, lit.  Happy Thanksgiving Allen!
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 04:33:16 pm »
Quote from: homerwannabee
Since this is the third year of me doing this I will yet again go off of the parallel for how many people the Baseball Hall of Fame inducted during its third year. For some reason baseball only inducted 1 person in its third year, and so for 2019, I am going to induct only one person.

Forgive me, George, as I am not exactly a baseball expert, but where are you getting the numbers for how many people were inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

According to the Cooperstown website, there were 5 inductees in the first year (1936), 8 in the second (1937) and 3 in the third (1938).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/website-docs/Printable+Lists/HOFers_by_Induction_Year.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame

On another note, although it was a bit embarrassing that 40% of your first year's inductees had their scores removed from Guinness due to cheating, I'm sure that won't happen again.

Oh, one more thing:

John McCallister

I'm pretty sure it's McAllister :)
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
Pretty sure he’s going by the matching year, not mapping back to first years.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »
According to the Cooperstown website, there were 5 inductees in the first year (1936), 8 in the second (1937) and 3 in the third (1938).

I think George is picking an arbitrary start point rather than when the BBHOF actually started.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
No, I am going with the players that were inducted.  So 5 players were inducted in 1936, 3 players in 1937, and 1 player in 1938.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard