Author Topic: Games where being great at just that game makes you a great gamer  (Read 5258 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Games where being great at just that game makes you a great gamer
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:50:05 pm »
I saw a discussion on Facebook on Roy Schildt, and that got me to thinking.  Tony Temple and Roy Schildt only have great scores on Missile Command, but they are considered great gamers despite the fact that they are great at just that game.  So I was thinking about it.  What arcade are so difficult and competitive that have a great score on just that one game is all you need to be considered a great gamer?  For me three come to mind.

Missile Command: Get past Roy Schildt's score on five man settings, and you'll be considered a great gamer.  Getting the Marathon record will get you that status as well.
Robotron: Get one million on five man settings and you'll be anointed as a great gamer.
Donkey Kong: I'd say getting 1.1 million on this game will get you the status of great gamer.

So what say you?  What other games, and what score on those games make you known as a great gamer just for having a great score on that game?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
Re: Games where being great at just that game makes you a great gamer
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »
"Robotron: Get one million on five man settings and you'll be anointed as a great gamer."

You realize there's only a single player that has done this in the history of the game? That's more than great gamer, that's legendary.

Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »
"Robotron: Get one million on five man settings and you'll be anointed as a great gamer."

You realize there's only a single player that has done this in the history of the game? That's more than great gamer, that's legendary.
Ok, so I take it that you'd put it at 750k or something like that?

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:40:17 pm »
750k?!? Do you even play Robotron?

Offline Zerst

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:49:20 pm »
Donkey Kong 3
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:52:22 pm »
750k?!? Do you even play Robotron?
I've gotten 282,475 on 5 man settings.  So yeah, I know the difficulty of the game.
https://www.battleofthearcades.net/Game/4/9

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:15:43 pm »
Are they great gamers because they got these scores, or did they get these scores because they’re great gamers?

It’s subjective either way, I guess.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 05:31:51 am »
Donkey Kong 3
Eh, I am going to have to disagree on that.  But thanks for the shout out.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:59:10 am »
Fortnite
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 07:22:39 am »
Fortnite
Look, basically ANY popular modern game where you are top 10 makes you a great gamer.  So lets keep this for Arcade/MAME games from 1978 to 1989 please. :)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 07:51:57 am »
Playchoice-10 arcade/Super Mario Bros 1/Speed Run category
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 08:58:48 am »
Candlepin bowling
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline K Rool

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 09:41:31 am »
I'm not very good Playing DK
Member for 5 Years

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:33:16 am »
Probably a 5 man 500k score is a great gamer score for Robotron. Sadly our Robotron had issues with the diagonal on the right stick so you couldnt shoot like to the top right or something so our scores suffered. The fact that Don got 522k amazes me.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »
Probably a 5 man 500k score is a great gamer score for Robotron. Sadly our Robotron had issues with the diagonal on the right stick so you couldnt shoot like to the top right or something so our scores suffered. The fact that Don got 522k amazes me.

I know someone who can fix issues like that.  <Pigger>