Author Topic: The Die Is Cast  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
The Die Is Cast
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:54:50 am »

We have before us a standard cubical die, like they use for Craps or many well-known board games. It's faces are numbered with the integers 1 though 6, usually represented with dots, in one of these layouts:

The two arrangments are mirror images of each other, and for our purposes are interchangeable. The important thing is that the 1 is opposite the 6, the 2 is opposite the 5, and the 3 is opposite the 4.

One player starts this game by rolling the die. The number is noted and becomes our total thus far. The players then take turns, starting with the other player (not the one who rolled), turning the die one quarter turn, that is, to an adjacent side to the one that was previously "up". The new "up" number is then added to the running total. The players continue taking turns in this fashion until the total is 31 or greater.

The winner is the player to make the total exactly 31, without going over. If the player goes over 31, he or she loses. The player must turn the die each turn, no passing.

Brave volunteers may initiate a game with me by requesting to roll first, which I will do for them (actually I don't have a die handy and will use random.org to pick a number between 1 and 6), or may defer the first roll to me.

Please allow one volunteer to lose before another begins.

For the first member to beat me by making the total 31 or forcing me to go over, I have a DK Forum t-shirt. If you already have one, you're playing just for fun. (And I'll play until somebody without one beats me.)

Member for 10 Years

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: The Die Is Cast
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »
Roll it!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:21:04 pm »
Roll it!

I have rolled a 1. The total is now 1.

You may turn to 2, 3, 4, or 5.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 05:21:51 pm »
Well, George has obviously met with some sort of foul play.

While others plan his memorial services, if he doesn't post in an hour or so, I will declare a forfeit.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:26:45 pm »
Okay, I'm calling time of death on George at 5:45 PM Anchorage time.

NEXT?
Member for 10 Years

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
I'm a truck driver.  I'd go with 5 if I'm still in.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:30:16 pm »
Stuff like this is why trucking long haul isn't a normal job.  33 consecutive days of work.  Not many jobs where you can do that.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:14:25 am »
I'll volunteer next, if I may, and let you roll first.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 06:11:58 am »
I'll volunteer next, if I may, and let you roll first.

I have rolled a 1. The total is now 1.

Member for 10 Years

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:47:50 am »
Turn to 4.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:55:22 am »
Turn to 4.

Making the total 5.

I turn to 1 to make the total 6.

Member for 10 Years

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:04:16 am »
Turn to 4.  Total is 10.

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 08:06:20 am »
Turn to 4.  Total is 10.

Turn to 1. Total is 11.

Member for 10 Years

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 08:10:31 am »
Turn to 3.  Total is 14.

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 08:12:21 am »
Turn to 3.  Total is 14.
Turn to 1. Total is 15.

Member for 10 Years