Author Topic: The lack of Indians in CAG/MAME seems strange to me  (Read 2467 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The lack of Indians in CAG/MAME seems strange to me
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:09:05 am »
There are four main reasons I feel this way.
1) The country has 1.3 billion people.  You'd think a few of such a large number of people would go into CAG/MAME gaming.
2) The country has 125 million English speakers.  Unlike China, and Japan English is not an obstacle for a large number of Indians. So submitting a score isn't really that big of an issue for 125 million people.
3) World records actually have significance in India.  Guinness gets an unusually high number of record submissions from India.
4) A large number of Indians are computer savy.  Silicon valley's number one import of workers is from India. 

So it's beyond me why I can't think of a single Indian CAG/MAME gamer. 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Re: The lack of Indians in CAG/MAME seems strange to me
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:18:17 am »
Joke answer: World’s longest fingernails guy would have a hard time playing dk.

Hypotheses:

1. Zero nostalgia factor like many other countries have.
2. Extreme poverty across a lot of the population reduces that 1.3 billion by a lot.
3. Those who would have the skills are busy working to avoid aforementioned extreme poverty.

Related question:

Why so few women? Seems like it should be about half, and I’m pretty sure it’s a little less.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:12 am »
It looks like India has never even won a single medal in the winter Olympics and only won 2 medals (none gold) in the last summer Olympics.  So I'm going to theorize that their culture just doesn't value competition.  Either that or they're just really bad at sports.  It looks to me like the only thing they are any good at is Cricket.
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

bh

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
For a game about plumbers and OSHA violations, I don't see many plumbers playing DK.

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:48 pm »
He’s also known as Jumpman, so the fact that I used to high jump fills that gap.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:07:55 pm »
The 80s were a happy time in the US but a miserable time in India.  So though poverty was mentioned before and nostalgia you really have to put those two together.  We're remembering a better time from the 80s, they're remembering a worse time.
Member for 7 Years

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 02:17:42 pm »
The Indian-American kid who won the national spelling bee lives in my neighborhood.  Maybe I can tear him away from a dictionary long enough to make Lakeman nervous??? 
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer