Author Topic: Pole Position and how to get better  (Read 65023 times)

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
Re: Pole Position and how to get better
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »
Probably not, I most likely won't even get 66k, haven't played the game in months.
66k takes some solid practice to get and most of us that are playing in BOTA won't be putting in that kind of practice.  We'll just get a nice 65,xxx and move on to the other games.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener

Offline yamnitz

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 06:04:33 am »
Just wanted to chime in, this is a great thread! I've read through it many times.  I'm getting very close to cracking in to the 214's.  The very first post is interesting, I've run a 55.82 first lap so it looks like if I go 1 hundreth faster it will knock the lap time down to 55.71?  If true that could be very helpful!   Im trying to attach some times I ran a few days ago and my PB is 215.15 so far. 
Member for 5 Years

Offline yamnitz

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2019, 03:44:37 pm »
So I did it and I don't really know why... I ran a 55.71, but in slowing down the video it clearly shows I'm at least 55.79 before the finish line..  which looks like an available ending score.   Did I run a 55.81 but it jumped to 55.71 due to the programming?   and If I had actually run a 55.79 that would have stood?  What is going on?

Here's attachments of 55.71 after finish line and getting extended play.

A screen shot of 55.79 right before the finish line. 

And here's a link to the youtube video. 
weird stuff!
Member for 5 Years

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »
Will never have to worry about the world record being broken on this game since IMO its pretty much impossible and you will never see a video of anyone getting that score ever. Funny how they were godlike in the 80s and yet in the entire time of having video neither one of the amazing duo posts video of a score that is even close and just says "do better" when you question it.  All these legendary gamers can still put up WR scores and actually play better now than they did back then but when you question anyone of these "impossible" scores they can never seem to get that score funny how that works huh? Whatever i gave up on this one a while ago.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2019, 03:16:11 pm »
Remember it goes 78 79 70 71 then 82 83 84 85 so nothing new.  Just think of it as 0-9 = 10 frames and each time it goes back to 0 or 1 or whatever that it's another 10 frames, once you reach 99 and it goes to 0 you just ran 40 frames or 1 game second.

Wow that is a fast first lap, at the rate you're going I'm guessing you will be hitting the 67k soon if not already. 

The only other research I've done lately is to play around with revisions of the game.  I'm trying to mix and match versions so that I get the game play from the Namco board set but with the graphics from Atari rom sets.  I'm thinking that since they had to change the graphics to be politically correct that they might have put out a rom revision to do that and in order to work with a certain board type they might have changed the code in order to do so.  I think that you can somehow use the Namco game play with the Atari graphics and if so the game would be a little easier to get higher scores.  The difference is that the car patterns are different and you can pass on the inside much easier than the current atari only versions.

Keep playing and updating us with your fantastic game play.

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:51 pm »
Just wanted to chime in, this is a great thread! I've read through it many times.  I'm getting very close to cracking in to the 214's.  The very first post is interesting, I've run a 55.82 first lap so it looks like if I go 1 hundreth faster it will knock the lap time down to 55.71?  If true that could be very helpful!   Im trying to attach some times I ran a few days ago and my PB is 215.15 so far.

Some of the qualifying times posted in this thread are insane! I have only been sub-56 a handful of times.
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline yamnitz

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 10:06:01 pm »

Ran these scores just last week.  62,310 can be done,.. you just have to be perfect. 

Here's my first 66,910 run, and my third lap was trash.  I've run 55.70 first laps, 52.21 mid laps and 52.99 last lap.. just not all in the same race :)  It is really really... really difficult to get those lap times, let alone all at once.. but I'm still practicing! 

Still 3rd at Twin Galaxies, but I've closed the gap from the old 3rd place to the record by half. 

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/pole-position/arcade/fuji-speedway-points/page/1?ref=fbshare

According to Video Paradise and TG records in 1983, it took Mike and Les a year to go from 66,710 to the records.  That should show how incredibly difficult those high scores are!!!   Records were set 6-27-84 and 7-1-84, those scores are from June of '83.

Member for 5 Years

Offline yamnitz

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2019, 12:11:38 pm »
Well it is worth discussing that top 2 scores of all time were done in the SAME tournament, over the same weekend, on the SAME pole position cabinet and no one has managed to come close in over 34+ years. I dont quite understand how going faster would somehow gain you the ability to pass a bunch of extra cars and I also find it odd that we still dont have a single video of a 67k+ score from either of these two guys in 35+ years (Well none that I have seen or are aware of)? Kinda the same questions I had with Mr Rodgers scores in that there is a lot of talk but no video? At least perhaps that PP cabinet was off perhaps just like how mame scores that 350 extra points? Basically to me anymore if there is no video I just dont believe any of the scores from the 80s. Way to many folks been caught flat out lying and the history of how those scores got into TG from 1500points makes it all suspect. :)

Well now there is one video of a 67k score, mine.  And my first lap was trash too, still room for improvement! 

Member for 5 Years

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 12:40:57 pm »
Wow holy smoke congrats Daniel!! This is huge!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mitch Mitchell

• Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2019, 12:56:12 pm »
What a run! Fantastic, just imagine if the first lap had been perfect too... so good.
VS Duck Hunt - 3,502,900
DK - 985,400
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline yamnitz

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 05:23:14 pm »
What a run! Fantastic, just imagine if the first lap had been perfect too... so good.
Wow holy smoke congrats Daniel!! This is huge!

Thanks for the kind words!  I'm still getting better.  Ran a 52.02 2nd lap today, I used to think 212.99 was completely impossible.. now I'm not so sure.  but that might be the only way to actually beat the record.  I don't know if passing 143 cars at 213.xx is possible, time will tell. but...

My lap times were 55.15, 52.46, 52.64, 52.71 = 213.96  the computer only added .39 to my score to get 214.35 game time. So...
If you combined my current best laps ever of 55.70, 52.02, 52.35 52.71 = 212.78 + .39 = 213.17   If i can shave another .2 off maybe, just maybe a 67,410 would be possible?..?  Im dreaming, but I now know it's not totally impossible.

Member for 5 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2019, 06:19:58 pm »
Wow, first person in about 35 years to get 67,000.  Very awesome job!
Also, thanks for basically confirming that the world record score is possible. I know some thought it was impossible to get 67,310.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline bestcellar

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 09:42:07 am »
Absolutely incredible run!!! Congratulations!!! Thank you so much for posting your progress as well.
Member for 9 Years

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:35 pm »
I was gonna post a video but I didn't bring my SD card to the library.  Let the  anticipation build :)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »
 <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer