Author Topic: My argumentation blog  (Read 18390 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: My argumentation blog
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:28 am »
My rule of thumb:

If a noun, it's "kill screen" (I reached the kill screen).

If a verb, "killscreen" (I just killscreened).

But then, we're getting off topic.  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
Isn't it ironic that someone started a personal thread to prevent hi-jacking other threads, and in turn that very same thread gets hi-jacked?

My vote is for killscreen "one word".

You absolutely nailed it, Dave!

Congratulations are in order.  Your reply joins an elite category of forum posts (and I've read all 3,165 of them) that caused me to involuntarily laugh out loud.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:39 am »
It doesn't matter what George says, it draws conspiracy. It's like the abortion issue. If he's for it, he's a son of a gun. If he's against it, he's a son of a gun. He's not god, he doesn't have all of the answers. So he's gotta be careful how he shares his opinion.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 11:58:23 am »
Everyone knows who the Red Baron is. That's because he shot down 87 enemy planes!  I mean he was the BEST!

There's a level of difference between people...and it translates into some games...

I always thought it was a shame that nobody knows who Eddie Rickenbacker is.  I mean, he did shoot down 26 enemy planes.  That's gotta be worth something.  He got the Medal of Honor...!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:28 pm »
I always thought it was a shame that nobody knows who Eddie Rickenbacker is.  I mean, he did shoot down 26 enemy planes.  That's gotta be worth something.  He got the Medal of Honor...!

What's really sad is that, if you were to stand at the corner of a busy intersection and ask 100 random passersby if they had heard of Eddie Rickenbacker, a substantial number would reply, "Of course!  I've seen his commercials on TV, and my family really likes his microwave popcorn."

EDIT:  No, I'm not kidding.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:39:26 pm by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »
Haha yea I totally agree. 

Idiocracy is one of my favorite movies.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 02:28:31 pm »
Ironically this is in response to mikegmi2 in one of my other threads, that might sidetrack the thread.

It's in regards to "I know nothing about DK3. Are you bringing it up because you'd like to see more people try to break your record?  Do you think your score has been contested by anyone?"

The only person who I am publicly aware of going after this record is Dwayne Richard, and he really didn't prepare that well before he tried to break my 3.5 million (I think) record at the time.  His highest was 2.07 million.  Now as far as wanting to see more people try to break my record that is a little more deep.

Personally I would just like to see someone try to take it semi seriously, and not even try to break my record. Over the past 3 years this is what 90 percent of the new DK3 players do when they play this game.  Once they hit 1 million on ANY level they stop soon after.  Some have done it on Twin Galaxies settings, and some do it on the easiest settings.  But almost all of them stop.  The only exception to this rule was Justin Knucklez who reported he got 2.2 million on easy settings.   Of course he went to prison for who knows what, and that was the end of his DK3 quest.

So what I would like to see is one of two things.  First I would like to see someone bluescreening this game on ANY level.  For those who don't know Bluescreening starts when someone hits board 159/160 in DK3.  The board repeats blue for the next 97 boards.  I found out about this crazy glitch in the game well over 2 years ago.  To me I would say this would be the closest to killscreening this game as you can get. 

On easy settings it takes a 3.3 or so million score in order to bluescreen the game.  On easy settings it's definitely doable.  Someone years ago came close on MARP with a 3.06 million score on easy settings.  They just didn't know about the repetitive blue screen at the time.  I am sure that person would have trudged through to get it, had he known about it.

If not that, than I would like to see someone at least get two million or more on at least medium settings for MAME, which is still one notch below Arcade settings.  I have even toyed with the idea of putting up a small bounty of some sort to see one of those two things happen. 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »
Brian Allen "Really killed any reason for me to turn my machine anymore though!"

This is in regards to playing Donkey Kong 3.  Really Brian?  Then why not stop playing Donkey Kong, or Donkey Kong Junior?  Do you really think getting the record in either one of those games is going to be so much easier? Really?

At least with Donkey Kong 3 you have a much better shot at getting the second highest score of all time.  You could play Donkey Kong every day for the rest of your life, and I am not sure you would get a second place score on that game.  Even with Donkey Kong Junior you're going to have to pull some rabbit out of your hat in order to pull off even a second place score at this stage in the game.  With DK3 the second place score is there for the taking.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:18 pm »
First I would like to see someone bluescreening this game on ANY level.

If you wanna have some competition on this game, I would suggest Ben Falls. I've heard Ben say a few time that he likes DK3 more than DKjr, so maybe you can get him interested in upping his achievements on this game. I, personally, can promise you that I will practice this game once it gets added to my local arcade. I'll add it to my list of goals on my blog when this happens, and you can see how I am progressing.

Brian Allen "Really killed any reason for me to turn my machine anymore though!"

This is in regards to playing Donkey Kong 3.  Really Brian?  Then why not stop playing Donkey Kong, or Donkey Kong Junior?  Do you really think getting the record in either one of those games is going to be so much easier? Really?

At least with Donkey Kong 3 you have a much better shot at getting the second highest score of all time.  You could play Donkey Kong every day for the rest of your life, and I am not sure you would get a second place score on that game.  Even with Donkey Kong Junior you're going to have to pull some rabbit out of your hat in order to pull off even a second place score at this stage in the game.  With DK3 the second place score is there for the taking.

All of this^. Seriously, all of it. This is exactly what I wanted to say to Brian.

Brian, you don't have to be able to get the world record to make playing a game worth it. This is the same sort of attitude I was talking about on your stream last week. Competition, serious competition, is good! Push yourself on the hard games and the easy games will seem that much more easy!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:17:56 pm »
That's a really good point about "virgin territory."

I would be down for some inter-forum DK3 competition at some point. I've played it enough times to see that it has the potential to be fun for me.

I want to get done with DK Jr. first though. I'm a serial monogamist about my games!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »
If you really want some competition you'll have to offer up cash money.

With a bounty worth less than the postage required to mail it, your competition will likely not garner much interest.

I hope I'm wrong George.  Offering a bounty is a great way to drum up interest in your favorite game, but in my opinion, you have not offered any bounty.

Yes, I know if you meet Walter Day in person it's pretty easy to get his autograph, but not everyone will meet Walter Day in person.  Do a completed listing search of Walter Day's autographed Twin Galaxies card in the past 3 months.  Guess what?  No one has offered one up for sale in that time period.

So just because it's not necessarily valuable does not mean it's not hard to get.  Also do a search on the Twin Galaxies coin on Ebay for the past 3 months, and see what that gets you.  Yep that's right, there are no sales in the past 3 months.  Guess what?  No one has offered one up for sale in that time period.  Yeah, you can get one at Mark's CAG site, but not everyone in this community wants to give Mark their business, and if they don't get it from his site, they are out of luck.

Sometimes there is more than value to consider.  Sometimes the difficulty in obtaining an item should also be considered.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:55 pm »
FWIW I dont think the items are worthless at all, I would like to have all of those items personally. I might even dust off my board and give it a little time.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer