Author Topic: Junior Progress  (Read 45085 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Junior Progress
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 03:08:54 pm »
OK, pretty sure that was sarcasm...

Yeah it was. I was just kidding around with Steve.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »
George I never said I'm any better then you are.

Yes i noticed you where not on this list.  Thats why i was confused if i should be on this list or not.Has nothing to do with you personaly.

I would rather not have my Name said that much anyways at the moment...

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 03:17:55 pm »

Uh-oh. Guess I better make a change to the Staal soundboard.  ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »

Uh-oh. Guess I better make a change to the Staal soundboard.  ;D

Don't you dare! ;D
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
Again, all this listing of who is better at something has become quite obnoxious. I find this list even more silly because of the fact that what is being called "skill" is actually just a combination of knowledge and practice/execution-familiarity.

People that pick up games quickly almost always have one of these two characteristics when it comes to the game they are playing. For me personally, I grew up with almost zero gaming in my background, so I knew I needed to learn a lot and play a lot before I would start seeing the fruit. I know that the only reason I am getting good at some of these games is due to much study of the techniques and much practice. After a while of doing this with certain games, it becomes easier to do this with others. Since I've done this with DK, it helps with DKjr. I'm sure if I did this with Galaga, it would help with Galaxian (since they are similar types of games). You get the picture.

Another example is that one of my personal goals is to master one of each type of classic game that I can find with a different control scheme. I am doing this very intentionally for the very purpose of becoming a better, all-around gamer since it will help with one of the aspects of a "skilled" gamer that I mentioned: Execution-familiarity.

What I'm getting at is that it's not like there is (generally speaking) really some sort of innate ability that some people have and some people don't when it comes to these games. This isn't poker; and none of us are Rain Men. We all simply draw off of the experience we have with other games to affect how quickly we can pick up a new game. We also draw off of the sources of knowledge that we have about the game we are trying to learn. If anything ought to be praised, it is a player's 1) perseverance/patience/practice, 2) knowledge, what is gained only by means of themselves, as well as from others, and how effectively/efficiently they incorporate it into their gameplay, and 3) their kindness to other players when they do choose to share what they have learned with others. These things are (generally) the only thing that really sets apart one gamer from another IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:19:03 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:06 pm »
For the fact that theres somethings out there with my name out on it...  I have'nt gotten a copy of it ..  Or was asked if they could use it.

Even though someone else says my Name in a Stream or a Sound Bite.    You would think they'd ask the person before hand.

hchien

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 06:08:44 pm »
What I'm getting at is that it's not like there is (generally speaking) really some sort of innate ability that some people have and some people don't when it comes to these games.

So Billy Mitchell was wrong?

"It's in your DNA" -Billy Mitchell

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 06:52:47 pm »
For the fact that theres somethings out there with my name out on it...  I have'nt gotten a copy of it ..  Or was asked if they could use it.

Even though someone else says my Name in a Stream or a Sound Bite.    You would think they'd ask the person before hand.

What on earth are you talking about? :o
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »
What I'm getting at is that it's not like there is (generally speaking) really some sort of innate ability that some people have and some people don't when it comes to these games.

So Billy Mitchell was wrong?

"It's in your DNA" -Billy Mitchell

So is it DNA or is it putting in the time?  For a game like Donkey Kong I would say it's more about putting in the time.  But if it was a game competitively played by tens of thousands, than I would say both.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:53 pm »
Well, DNA does have something to do with it, but so many other variables come into play, in much more directly influential ways, that the differences between peoples' DNA is negligible. I mean, interaction with other people with different DNA than your own is a HUGE factor at getting people even into gaming in the first place. Things like someone showing you the KoK, or other people actively helping you with a game are just some examples of things that are not dependent upon your own DNA, and seem to clearly have a great influence. I'm saying that we should dish out praise simply for what someone did or does, and not try to parse out something as complex as who they are and praise them for that. It seems like there are way too many influential causes at play to easily do the latter correctly. Again, just MHO.

P.s. Hank, I know you were probably just being witty, but I thought I should still clarify my position on that.  ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 07:50:58 pm »
Wakeup  George .

What on earth are you talking about? :o

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 08:33:32 pm »
Wakeup  George .

I don't want to.  I have spent 37 years invested in this dream, and I don't want to wake up! ;)   Ironically your "Wakeup George" actually did wake me up to what you are saying.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Simpsons99

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 09:12:31 pm »
whats that?
Wakeup  George .

I don't want to.  I have spent 37 years invested in this dream, and I don't want to wake up! ;)   Ironically your "Wakeup George" actually did wake me up to what you are saying.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:07 pm »
Brian, you need to start your own blog in this forum, cuz this is totally off topic. No one will get bothered if you voice your more controversial opinions/rants/grievances there. Just saying.

George, I don't know if you have one either. Might be a something to think about as well. If only just to keep these threads more on topic.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:06 am »
Brian, you need to start your own blog in this forum, cuz this is totally off topic. No one will get bothered if you voice your more controversial opinions/rants/grievances there. Just saying.

George, I don't know if you have one either. Might be a something to think about as well. If only just to keep these threads more on topic.

Except I was on topic.  It's Junior Progress.  I was talking about how quickly one progresses in the game.  My whole point is that I don't think the average person progresses in Junior as quickly as people think. 

OK, though the blog thing does seem like an interesting idea.  I am going to start one called "Too hot for regular threads" blog.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:10:26 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard