Author Topic: A big reason why competitors tend to be friendly towards each other  (Read 3933 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
If you look around the arcade scene there tends to be friendly competition.  Well why is that?  Yes, it's nice to have a hobby where you actually get along with the people you compete against.  Yes, there is a moment of decency that's found in almost everyone where we know that it reflects badly on us if we start to trash talk.

Still, there is another reason.  One that almost no competitor would ever admit to.  In fact if I heard of this idea I'd mock it because it simply goes against the status quo, and it's best if people don't believe this.

It's simple.  When a person trash talks another person in the field of a competitive game that person becomes inspired.  Pro and college sports teams are taught not to trash talk their opponent.  They know that their words will be used as motivation.  Their words will be put on the bulletin board of the opposing team.  They know that trash talking puts gasoline on a person's competitive fire.

Act cocky, and trash talk and you'll get the very best from that person.  Now he or she has something to prove.

Yes, I know, there are examples of extremely cocky people who trash talk in our scene.  But you want to know why they do that?  Usually it's because the games they play lack competition.  These are the types of people who actually want people to play their relatively obscure game just so they can have competition.  So they don't fear the motivation of their opponents because they don't have any opponents to begin with.  They sort of trash talk like the person who sits on top of a water tank to perspective customers.  A person is more likely to throw balls at the trigger for the water tank if someone is smack talking them.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: A big reason why competitors tend to be friendly towards each other
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:26:23 pm »
These are the types of people who actually want people to play their relatively obscure game just so they can have competition

Sky Skipper?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:19 pm »
These are the types of people who actually want people to play their relatively obscure game just so they can have competition

Sky Skipper?
Yep, for me having competition in the obscure game is great.  Though I know if I upped the  <stirpot> about how good I am at the game I might get some more competition.  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Sumez

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:14:32 pm »
If you look around the arcade scene there tends to be friendly competition.  Well why is that?
Because they are video games. The idea is to have fun.
Member for 6 Years

Offline Sidseattle

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:38 pm »
I have a lit of fun, bettering my scores regardless of who im surpassing, i play games to ks or finish or loop them..not to beat..other competitors..there is one exception and he knows who that is. Sid
Member for 6 Years Former DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer