Author Topic: Newton's laws of egg collection  (Read 2978 times)

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Newton's laws of egg collection
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:09 am »

While less adventurous gamers spent the long summer of 1983 staring slack-jawed at the likes of Crystal Castles and Donkey Kong 3, the more discerning folk in the know were (and are) dropping apples on squirrels.

A riddle wrapped in an enpigma, if there's one place on earth we can pay hoggage to this Sega classic, it's right here.

First law of scoring

I never sausage a scoring system. The points you get from collecting eggs and killing enemies depends on the number of axes you have picked up. I can't be arsed going past level 4, but I assume the trend continues. So it seems to be worthwhile to go axe-hunting before egg collecting, a tactic incidentally used by pigs in the wild.

One thing of note is that the thingummy that displays the scores when you kill a baddie only seems to go up to 4 digits, so you get only 6000 instead of the logical 16000 for killing squirrels on L4 with 3 axes. What do you expect from a chit game?

Gamm on!
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Newton's laws of egg collection
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:14:30 am »

While less adventurous gamers spent the long summer of 1983 staring slack-jawed at the likes of Crystal Castles and Donkey Kong 3

ROFL
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:34 pm »
Beautiful, Space.  It's beautiful!  BibleThump

I always thought the axe driven score inflation was looping, so after a certain amount of axes were collected the point values reset to what they were when no axes had been collected.  However, your observation that the point values cannot exceed 10K likely better explains this phenomenon.

OMG this game is so complex!   

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 03:39:34 am »

It also seems to apply to the values you get on picking up the axes themselves, viz:

Level 5
Axe 1   2500   Axe 2  5000   Axe 3   7500

Level 6
Axe 1   3000   Axe 2  6000   Axe 3   9000

Level 7 onwards

Axe 1   3500   Axe 2  7000   Axe 3   500 (instead of 10500)

I was also curious about the non-beehive levels - why 5, then 9, not 10? But after 9 it seems to be every 4 levels - 13, 17, 21 etc.

I think I need to get out more, and meet people.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer