Author Topic: The DK Masters Information and Submission Thread  (Read 39121 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
The DK Masters Information and Submission Thread
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:46:44 am »
Welcome to the information thread for the greatest leaderboard in the history of leaderboards

The DK Masters

Here we examine a player's performance across 4 classic, official games of the Donkey Kong series: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Crazy Kong. Don't like the inclusion of Donkey Kong 3 and/or Crazy Kong? Then you're not cut out for this leaderboard. The requirements for this leaderboard are brutal and perfect. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

Each player on the leaderboard will be given a Rank and a Rank Score. The Rank serves to separate players into different categories of mastery, while the Rank Score is used to determine the standings of each player within those categories.

There are 5 ranks, from lowest to highest: D, C, B, A, and S. You will find the requirements for each rank in the following post.

Rank D will have no Rank Score. Ranks C, B, and A will have a Rank Score based on the number of days it takes the player to meet the Rank requirements. For C, B, and A, a lower Rank Score is better. Rank S will have a Rank Score based solely on the number of times a player has achieved the requirements for that rank. For Rank S, a higher Rank Score is better. Players will only be ranked in their highest qualifying rank.

For example, Andrew Barrow scores 1M on DK. 2 days later he scores 1.1M on DKJR. Another 2 days later he scores 1M on DK3, and another 2 days later scores 650k on CK. He has now achieved all the requirements for Rank C. It took him 7 days, including the first achievement, so he is ranked C-7.

Brian Allen scores 1M on DK. The following day he scores 1.1M on DKJR. The day after that he scores 1M on DK3 and the next day he scores 650k on CK. He would be ranked C-4.

Allen Staal achieves all four Rank C requirements in one day. His rank would be C-1, the highest possible C rank.

The three players would be ranked thusly:

C-1 - Allen Staal
C-4 - Brian Allen
C-7 - Andrew Barrow

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:

The Rank Score is NOT determined by a player's first ever achievement of the requirements...it is determined by the smallest amount of time between ANY achievement of the requirements.

Players must post in this thread if they feel they have met the requirements for a particular Rank. All scores must meet the submission standards for their respective games.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:09:46 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: The DK Masters Information and Submission Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:04 am »
The DK Masters Rank Requirements

******Rank D******

Congratulations! You've demonstrated a basic level of competency on all four games. Will you stay here, counting your killscreens, or will you take the next step?

To achieve Rank D, players must:
  • Achieve a killscreen in Donkey Kong
  • Achieve a killscreen in Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Achieve 1,000,000 points in Donkey Kong 3, on Easy/Difficulty 1, with 3 starting lives, and bonus lives every 30,000 points
  • Achieve a killscreen in Crazy Kong

Players in this category will be ranked by the date when they achieve the ranking, earliest first.

******Rank C******

Congratulations! You've taken the next step towards your DK Mastery. You've put in some extra time and shown some potential. Where you go from here will tell us if you got here by brute force and luck, or by skill.

To achieve Rank C, players must:
  • Achieve 1,000,000 points in Donkey Kong
  • Achieve 1,100,000 points in Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Achieve 1,000,000 points in Donkey Kong 3, on Hard/Difficulty 3, with 3 starting lives, and bonus lives every 30,000 points
  • Achieve 650,000 points in Crazy Kong

Players in this category will be ranked by the number of days that have elapsed between obtaining the first and last achievement. In the case of ties, players who achieved the rank sooner will be given precedence. Beyond that, players will be sorted alphabetically by name.

******Rank B******

Congratulations! You've honed your skills and have shown that you truly have what it takes to be a master. However, there is always room to grow...

To achieve Rank B, players must:
  • Achieve 1,100,000 points in Donkey Kong
  • Achieve 1,200,000 points in Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Reach the repetitive blue screen in Donkey Kong 3 on Easy/Difficulty 1, with 3 starting lives and bonus lives every 30,000 points
  • Achieve 715,000 points in Crazy Kong

Players in this category will be ranked by the number of days that have elapsed between obtaining the first and last achievement. In the case of ties, players who achieved the rank sooner will be given precedence. Beyond that, players will be sorted alphabetically by name.

******Rank A******

Congratulations! You have mastered all four games and can now officially call yourself a DK Master!

To achieve Rank A, players must:
  • Achieve 1,130,000 points in Donkey Kong
  • Achieve 1,300,000 points in Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Reach the repetitive blue screen in Donkey Kong 3 on Hard/Difficulty 3, with 3 starting lives and bonus lives every 30,000 points
  • Achieve 750,000 points in Crazy Kong

******Rank S******

The superfecta. You are the best of the best.

To achieve Rank S, players must:
  • Achieve all Rank A requirements in a 24-hour period

The 24-hour clock starts running as soon as one achievement is reached. Keep in mind: the clock starts the moment the achievement is reached, even if that isn't the end of the game. Players must then meet the remaining 3 requirements within 24 hours. This is a hard cutoff. All achievements must be met in that 24-hour window.

Player rankings will be slightly different in this category. Players will be ranked by the shortest, real-world time it takes them to achieve Rank S. This ranking will include the total game time of the first achievement. In other words, to achieve Rank S you have a cushion and some leeway in choosing the first game to play to make the most of your 24 hours...but when it comes to time be ranked, the entire span of time will be included: from the moment you press start in the first game to the moment the last achievement is reached. In the case of an unlikely tie, players will be ranked by the number of times they have achieved Rank S, then by the earliest first Rank S, then by name.

As a special reward, anyone who reaches Rank S will receive a physical certificate commemorating their achievement!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 04:07:48 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:19:22 am »
holy sht
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:48:16 pm by WCopeland »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:56:08 pm »
Very cool.  I love it! Kreygasm
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
It's an honor to be on the same list as the legendary BEAst
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:12:50 am »
Awesome! So pumped for this. So brutal I love it
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 01:29:35 am »
Several players are close to meeting DKM requirements:

Rank D:
Estel - only needs the 1M on DK3
Danman - only needs the DKJR KS

Rank C:
Ben Falls - only needs 650k on CK, but it's been awhile since he's played DK games, so his Rank Score would be significantly worse than Wes.

There are quite a few people with 2 of the 4 requirements for Rank D and C.

Rank A and B:
Marky_d - needs the DK3 and CK requirements
Robbie - needs the DKJR and DK3 requirements
Serphy - same as Robbie, but needs a higher CK score for Rank A
Riley - needs the DK and CK requirements

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:01:34 am »
Hate to say this but DK3 makes this list really interesting. Such a different game compared to the other three so it really encompasses what it means to be a great overall gamer. Riley loves it, I reckon
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:54 pm »
I'm sure there will be questions and disagreements about the requirements for each Rank. Please know that I put a serious amount of thought into it. Also, allow me to quote two opinions that are hard to argue with:

Welcome to the information thread for the greatest leaderboard in the history of leaderboards

The requirements for this leaderboard are brutal and perfect.

Kappa

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:08 am »
Arggggg ok fine. I'll bump up my CK and get a DKJr 1.1+. Dang it i was really hoping to avoid DKJr for a while but I feel like the godfather... They pulled me back in.  Timeline coming i need to practice booooooo...  <gasp>
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:08 pm »
I'm glad I avoided junior now that the requirement is 1.1m. Would have been <mad> if I had a 1.0x score already

Is the 24-hour thing too brutal? Was thinking there could be S-1, S-2, and S-3 ranks for 24, 48 or 72 hours. Just a thot <Pigger>. Could over-complicate things though

WCopeland

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:47:51 am »
lol too brutal

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:58 am »
u cant do it

WCopeland

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:11:15 am »
 <popcorn>