Author Topic: My 2017 classic video game player hall of fame  (Read 3324 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My 2017 classic video game player hall of fame
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:20 am »
This is my dictatorship.  No vote, just me picking every year who deserves to be in my personal video game hall of fame. Is my list fair?  No, but it's fairer than what we have now.
I will mirror baseball, and open with five inductees.

1. Donald Hayes
2. Billy Mitchell
3. Matt Hall
4. Dwayne Richard
5. Todd Rogers
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline gstrain

• Awards
Re: My 2017 classic video game player hall of fame
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »
So are cheaters allowed in the Hall of Fame provided they are still sufficiently famous?
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »
Two PED users in your inaugural class!?  I don't know Riley, that may diminish the prestige of your Hall of Fame to the point that some legitimate players may refuse induction.

...Not actually sure if you can refuse induction to a Hall of Fame, but I'd find it hilarious if longtime MLB HoFers seceded if Bonds got inducted.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:23:39 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 03:35:51 pm »
First off, Todd Rogers Atari 2600 Galaxian score was what got me into TG in the first place.  So I am biased.
2nd off, for Todd it's more for being, "the first professional gamer."  Activision did pay Todd to play at events.  Given how people are making careers out of it now, it's to pay homage to just that alone.  Also I collected for Atari 2600 games at one point.  Todd was the first competitive gamer I knew about.  It was a hard decision, but I included him in the end.
For Billy it's different.  He had five major world records back in the day.  None of these scores have been questioned.   This is more for 1980s Billy Mitchell than modern day Mitchell.  If this was based solely on Billy since 2000 I don't think I put him in.
By the way Bonds and Clemens both got over 50% from the writers last go round.  Also, a main argument was that they were Hall of Famers before the cheating.
By the way, the current IVGHoF has both Todd Rogers as Hall of Famers.  They don't however have Matt Hall, Dwayne Richard, and Donald Hayes as HoFers.  Just food for thought.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:37:43 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:06:29 pm »
By the way, the current IVGHoF has both Todd Rogers as Hall of Famers.  They don't however have Matt Hall, Dwayne Richard, and Donald Hayes as HoFers.  Just food for thought.

wow it's almost like you have to be part of some club or something

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:19 pm »
Yes, the over age 50 club.
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years