Author Topic: 1999: The year modern CAG gaming started.  (Read 3970 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
1999: The year modern CAG gaming started.
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:20:18 pm »
For me this is the dividing line between the modern CAG gamers, and the old school gamers.  I list this year because I believe a resurgence of CAG gaming was starting.  Twin Galaxies was coming back into existence.  The Funspot tournaments were just starting, and MARP was a newly created website.
So for me it was the start of CAG gaming as we know it now.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: 1999: The year modern CAG gaming started.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
I don't see how this relates to DK3 at all
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:26 pm »
I tend to disagree.

I personally think, in my humble and not biased opinion, that the real start of the "CAG gaming" began when you destroyed the DK3 world record at the Kong Off 2. No gamer ever, before that event, got any kind of respectable score like you did on DK3 at the Kong Off 2. After that score, the popularity of the community were expanding exponentially without ever stopping. George is like the Big Bang itself: But instead of starting with one atom expanding his mass into infinite matter, it was one gamer expanding his skills into infinite gamers.

There you go. Got any other requests?  Kappa
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 12:08:52 am »
I tend to disagree.

I personally think, in my humble and not biased opinion, that the real start of the "CAG gaming" began when you destroyed the DK3 world record at the Kong Off 2. No gamer ever, before that event, got any kind of respectable score like you did on DK3 at the Kong Off 2. After that score, the popularity of the community were expanding exponentially without ever stopping. George is like the Big Bang itself: But instead of starting with one atom expanding his mass into infinite matter, it was one gamer expanding his skills into infinite gamers.

There you go. Got any other requests?  Kappa
ROFL ROFL ROFL 8) 8) 8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 07:24:59 am »
For me this is the dividing line between the modern CAG gamers, and the old school gamers.  I list this year because I believe a resurgence of CAG gaming was starting.  Twin Galaxies was coming back into existence.  The Funspot tournaments were just starting, and MARP was a newly created website.
So for me it was the start of CAG gaming as we know it now.
I would argue in favor of 1998 since that was the year of the first submissions to MARP on Donkey Kong 3.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:46:46 am »
Interesting, there are three DK3 scores from 1998.  Speaking of MARP, and Donkey Kong 3, I see you have submitted a score two days ago that's that's only ten thousand points behind the great Brian Allen.  8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:52:33 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard