Author Topic: Token Barcade Dublin  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Token Barcade Dublin
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:44 am »

Visited the brand new barcade that opened in Dublin recently (the first and only one here to date).
Because I kicked in during the kickstarter I got to swing by today a few hours before opening to play some DK set to freeplay.

I can't begin to tell you how sweet it was to sit in front of a real cab for the first time and although I have no real frame of reference I could tell the jump button was on point!  Kreygasm , working a joystick though took some getting used to and I have a new found respect for people who point press on a cab, although that said I can also imagine an exclusive cab player finding keyboard controls difficult too if they were to switch to MAME.

The cabinets all looked in great condition and from what I could tell no dickheads have vandalized/ scratched their names into the control panels (yet). On the far wall there is a bunch of polaroids showing differnet players and their high scores, I took a quick gander at the DK record and it was about 23x,xxx, not bad at all  <Kuh>.

I didn't venture downstairs to the pinball room but I did manage to take a quick video of the cabinets that surrounded the DK machine, there was a few more cabs placed in what looked like a boxing ring in a far corner but there were staff members busy taking bookings and signing for beer/ keg consignments so I didn't want to be a nuisance by getting in the way or wandering off into other areas.

I ended up hanging round for about 4 hours but unfortunatley didn't even manage a KS, I was already eating into my last hour by the time I started getting a feel for the joystick and at this point the staff were preparing to open + I had some errands to run so I called it quits untill another time. Really friendly staff, had a lot of fun!

Will definitley return during opening hours at some point in the near future, I feel like I need a few more rounds to acclimate to the controls but after that I'll put up a safe cool million. I can see myself becoming a regular here, only wish I could go there with other people that share the interest, going alone is less fun plus I kind of have that serial killer vibe going on ya know?   <Tim>

Sorry for the quality my phone is a pos and I won't be winning any awards for my videoing skills any time soon. next time I'll get much better footage.

! No longer available

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Token Barcade Dublin
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:49 am »
On the far wall there is a bunch of polaroids showing differnet players and their high scores

That's an awesome old school idea.

Good to see you have an arcade to go to sir and one with alcohol to boot.   <Pigger> Liquid bread
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:37 pm »
Kreygasm

Love it sir, always good to see more arcades opening around the place. Playing cabs for first time Kreygasm

Lit
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:08:35 pm »
Looks like a solid lineup.  I could definitely burn 4 hours there without even trying.  DK, Ghouls n Ghosts, Double Dragon, Pac Man...whoops, 4 hours gone...   <blinky> <pacman>
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »

Somehow I missed the original post FailFish

Looks great and I wish them well.

Need to go home at some point in August, so a visit would seem to be unavoidable  Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer