Author Topic: Space Cyclone Streaming Bounty  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
Space Cyclone Streaming Bounty
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »
Let's have sort of a trial run.

I will offer a $100 (usd) bounty for the first player that can complete wave 9 on Space Cyclone, added to MAME last month with the release of MAME .186.

You must use WolfMAME .186. Use MAME default settings. The inp file must play back for myself or someone that I trust.

You must stream the performance live on Twitch, and at the time of the performance must be listed in the forum's Twitch streamer list, administrated in this thread, so that we can see when you are playing. Afterwards you will need to save a video of the game on Twitch and attach the inp file here. For this challenge I won't require external camera video of you playing the game, but I still anticipate that being part of future GEGOTW challenges if they ensue.

After wave 9, all waves are shown as wave "1". From my own experience with my meager skills (I have only completed wave 6), the waves don't seem to really get harder after 4 or 5, the problem is that situations occur (at least to me) that I don't think anybody could have survived. Perhaps those more accurate in shooting will leave themselves less open to such danger, but I'll be interested to see.

Payment will be made by Paypal only. I reserve the right to set a time limit (like by the end of the year) if the task turns out to be harder than I think. I fear one of you elite gaming bastards will make short work of it.

For the first player to beat my own best after a couple of weeks playing, 46,770, I have a DKF t-shirt (when ready). It will probably look like below, assuming the spineless t-shirt purveyor balks at using the name "Donkey Kong". If you accomplish this on your first attempt playing the game, your soul will be damned for all eternity, if I am reading from this Necronomicon correctly.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

If there are difficulties that have to be ironed out, we'll deal with it. That's part of the point here.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:20:40 am by Weehawk »
Member for 10 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Space Cyclone Streaming Bounty
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:03:03 pm »
Seems brutal but fair. Managed to make it to wave 4 after 3 tries
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:21:50 pm »
Seems brutal but fair. Managed to make it to wave 4 after 3 tries
Fair? Let's see... I've been shot by enemies that were already dead...I mean the shot initiated after they were clearly gone. I've seen a bullet stop just above the ground and stay there until I had to try to cross it, at which time it killed me. And watch my death in the attached inp at 11070 points. There is nothing visible anywhere near me...my ship just explodes.

Member for 10 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:16:58 pm »
Fair? Let's see... I've been shot by enemies that were already dead...I mean the shot initiated after they were clearly gone. I've seen a bullet stop just above the ground and stay there until I had to try to cross it, at which time it killed me. And watch my death in the attached inp at 11070 points. There is nothing visible anywhere near me...my ship just explodes.

Haha ok then I'll play a few more games and reassess :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 02:14:42 am »
I don't seem to be dying unfairly at all.

Best so far, stage 6

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:17:21 pm »
Should be stage 9 by the end of Monday.  Go, Barra!

I don't seem to be dying unfairly at all.

Best so far, stage 6

Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:20:21 pm »
Have to stream though

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 09:21:55 am »
Original post edited to require default settings and inp playback verification.
Member for 10 Years

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 10:41:47 am »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 11:13:32 am »
Wave 8
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156334681

That'll be good for the t-shirt. PM me your address and size.

I've ordered a batch reading "Donkey Kong Forum". I assume the seller will balk at the trademarked name, then I'll order as "DK Forum". Probably a couple of weeks.

And Twitch Leecher works like a charm.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 01:04:14 pm »
Are we discussing strats?

Near the end of each wave (early on at least) I've been letting a few baddies drop as to force out the demon, stopping it from spawning near the beginning of the next wave.

There's usually a quiet period each wave after the first round of spawns so if you can try and spawn him then it becomes much easier to deal with.....until he delays the 3rd shot FailFish

:)

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:35 pm »
I've been letting a few baddies drop as to force out the demon, stopping it from spawning near the beginning of the next wave.

I don't know. If I just had one left the launch it, I might think about letting him out so he won't come at the start of the next wave, otherwise, I think I'd just try to thin the next wave out before he gets built the first time.

Regarding nomenclature:

I've been calling it the "robot", because they have to build it/him. It does look demon-like, though.

The flyer for the game calls them "Bems". Whatever.

I just call it "the saucer". Flies across the top of the screen and shoots one lightning bolt at you.

I guess I would call this "the bomber" because he keeps dropping those smart bombs at you. Dan calls them fire bombs, I call them smart bombs because they track you.

And I don't have a word for those purple wave-things, but I hate them.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 08:41:26 pm »
Thanks, I really had no idea what to call stuff

As for the purple wave things, their name changes a lot but it's usually some sort of expletive.

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:39 pm »
And while I never played Space Cyclone back in the day (I don't think it made it to the US), it does remind me of this game that I did play in the early eighties:

! No longer available
Member for 10 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 06:00:22 pm »
Final mock-up from the t-shirt people, expected July 14:

Member for 10 Years