Author Topic: What do you consider you best tourney showing?  (Read 5166 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
What do you consider you best tourney showing?
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
First, my question to anything that's been an Arcade, MAME, or both tournament.  So anything goes.  Yolympics, Funspot, Grinkers, IGBY, Crap, BOTA, Kong Off, DK Online Open, or something else.

As far as me it's got to be the 16th place in BOTA that just happened.  This tournament didn't have the most players.  I think something like 45 people participated.  IGBY, and Yolympics usually have double that.  Having said that, the top 30 players of this tournament were very, very good.  This may have been one of the strongest top 30 I have ever seen for a tournament.  Also, getting a decent showing in a major arcade tournament was also pretty cool.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

Re: What do you consider you best tourney showing?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »
Probably the recent event in Montreal. It has always been a goal to score 1.14 live, and I came in with no practice expecting to get absolutely slaughtered. Scoring ~1.148 while slightly drunk came as a big surprise.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
Next year's BOTA when I kick all your asses!! Kreygasm <stirpot>  <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:04:13 am »
IGBY 2016. The first tournament where I really turned on grind mode, and I finished #10 in the individual standings. It was a nice affirmation that if I put in the effort I can be competitive in these things.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:52:55 am »
Sometime in 1984, a local radio station, 104.1 KOFM did a remote at one of my local arcades (Electric Eagle) and sponsored a high score competition with the prizes being popular albums at the time. The games were Galaga, Looping (of all things), and I forget the third game...either Vanguard or Fantasy...something like that. Anyways, I won all three bagging Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual...Billy Joel - An Innocent Man...and Culture Club - Kissing to be Clever. I still have the albums, I think, somewhere. The radio guys wanted me to talk live on the air, but I was to chicken shit, go figure.

The other thing around that time, another arcade (Overland Trail Arcade) was participating in the Track and Field competitions with the prizes being plastic trophies. I won that easily as I was the only one locally using the scratch technique. I still have that trophy.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:39:12 am »
The other thing around that time, another arcade (Overland Trail Arcade) was participating in the Track and Field competitions with the prizes being plastic trophies. I won that easily as I was the only one locally using the scratch technique. I still have that trophy.

Sweet.  Are they those T&F trophies i see on EBAY from time to time?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:52 am »
Sweet.  Are they those T&F trophies i see on EBAY from time to time?

yep
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »
Hmmm....Might have to be the TG Fest in Banning. I choked in most other comps that I've been in when $$ was on the table.

Edit: Hehe, didn't even think of it till I saw it in this pic. All those framed certificates on the wall were from a Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 competition that TG did. I won 6 $150 prizes and was never told why I was DQ'd on the $1000 portion even after they called and said I was the winner. I would have to go with the THPS2 TG tournament. DQ'd for being too good.  <thefinger>

Hec
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:05:32 pm by Fly »
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »
Probably the last DK Online Open.  Got my first CK killscreen, walked away with some cash.  Other than that, probably IGBY 2, my first tournament, where I literally killed myself for a month to make a good showing.  I think I finished 8th or 9th.  I'm still burned out from that one.
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline anningmay

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »
Puzzle Madness for me. I never had a shot at winning, of course, but I did manage to take first place on a game I'd never played before (Chicken Shift), and manage a respectable third place behind Nick and Giro-X on Logic Pro 2, another game I'd never played before.

Unless there is an all  <pacman>-genre tourney, I suspect that this is the best I'll ever do.  :)

Dave
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:27 am »
Hmmm I haven't done a lot of these but I guess winning a DKO, a Mame Event and Crap Tourny are the best for me (Even though being called a cheat stains one of them for me. I've moved passed that but it still bothers me if I think about it so I just don't. <Tim>  Kreygasm

I have managed a few first place and top 5 scores along the way as well which given the caliber of play these people put out in these competitions makes me feel pretty good regardless of the other drama which I just avoid anymore. I enjoy playing games and keep it that way.  BibleThump Kreygasm
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:46:02 am by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 09:17:59 pm »
First, my question to anything that's been an Arcade, MAME, or both tournament.  So anything goes.  Yolympics, Funspot, Grinkers, IGBY, Crap, BOTA, Kong Off, DK Online Open, or something else.
Haven't played in many in the 10 years I've been in the hobby, as most of them have been across the country somewhere.  Also, I changed careers before online CAG tournaments took off and I didn't have that kind of time anymore.  I kinda prefer playing the real thing anyway ever since I built my own home arcade in 2010.

But of the eight arcade tourneys I've been in since 2007 I feel best about...

Finishing 9th overall in the first BOTA (player standings).  35 players participated and 24 of them qualified.  The eight players who finished ahead of me were all world class players with multiple WRs, each with multiple tourney wins under his belt.  I felt really good about that one.

Finishing 3rd in the main tournament at Grinkers in 2014 (with 2nd place scores on 4 of the 11 games) behind McAllister and Kalan Harvest, then 2nd in the main tournament at Grinkers in 2015 (with 1st place scores on 3 of the 11 games) behind Kalan.  I think of those more as the "beer-drinking amateurs" tournaments though, and I don't take them very seriously.  They're a lot more social and fun and less stuffy than some CAG tourneys I've seen, though, with the notable exception of BOTA.

Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 08:45:58 pm »

As far as me it's got to be the 16th place in BOTA that just happened.  This tournament didn't have the most players.  I think something like 45 people participated.  IGBY, and Yolympics usually have double that.  Having said that, the top 30 players of this tournament were very, very good.  This may have been one of the strongest top 30 I have ever seen for a tournament.  Also, getting a decent showing in a major arcade tournament was also pretty cool.

I finished 15th in BOTA even though none of the 12 games I was a "ringer" at... except for perhaps Zoo Keeper where I still was not in the striking distance of the top few players and the GGA cabinet developed a ROM glitch while being transported to the tournament area. That tourney was super tough. I finished 7th in BOTA 2014 but was dominant on two games and there were fewer competitors.

Both you and I finished ahead of Ken House, so that is quite the accomplishment right there!  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:47:43 pm by Verminator »
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:44:23 am »
Yeah, getting past Ken House in his own tourney is definitely cool.  There should be the Ken House rule, if you can pass Ken House in a BOTA tournament you should be admitted into the, "Good Arcade Gamers Club", which is one step below the, "Great Arcade Gamers Club." 8)

Edit: In order to get into the "Great Arcade Gamers Club", one has to get past Donald Hayes in BOTA. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:50:30 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener