Author Topic: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?  (Read 7373 times)

Offline maxxcat2018

• Awards
Re: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:24 am »
I actually liked the NES ports of nintendo arcades quite a bit (DK1, JR, 3, Mario bros, etc.) not perfect but I still like them. :P
There really are a lot of quality NES arcade ports. I agree with the ones you mentioned. I also grew up with Joust and Galaga, which are just as much fun as the arcade versions even if slightly different. (Joust has the sad omission of the gap between the platforms on the right, so no belly flop slip trick. :( ). Arkanoid, 1943, Xevious, TMNT2, Bubble Bobble, Bionic Commando. The list goes on and on. Not arcade perfect, obviously, but certainly not "crappy" by any means.

In fact, there are a few games that end up being way better on NES than in the arcades. Double Dragon 1-3, Contra and Super C are the big ones that come to mind.

And pretty impressive for Famicom/NES considering look at DK from 2600, intellivision, coleco. Then compare it to famicom/nes (same game for both), and it's quite impressive for a hardware that came out (famicom) not long after the coleco.
Member for 6 Years