Author Topic: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.  (Read 21884 times)

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
I posted this over at KLOV, but I figured I'll post it here and make it the beginning of a blog that I'll update when I reach some score milestones etc. 

When I was a kid I had a friend who was one of those kids whose parents bought him everything - a spoiled rich kid of sorts.  So he had like every video game and system imaginable.  Both his parents played games.  His mom was really good at Tetris, Columns, and Dr. Mario, and I always remember her in the living room playing one of those three games.  He was the first person I knew that got a Sega Genesis, I still remember him showing me Altered Beast.  But the most amazing thing of all was that his dad collected Arcade machines and they had a basement full of classic games, all free to play!  This was in the late 1980's so by this point they were already a bit dated, but it still blew my mind - just the whole concept of actually having an arcade machine IN YOUR HOME! My young mind would never have even conceived of such a reality before I saw it with my own eyes.  We didn't even have cable TV at my house and just had one old 19' Zenith TV from the late 70s, the kind with the big knob to change the channel.   The contrast between my home and my friend's home was almost overwhelming, it was like entering some sort of video game utopia. I had to beg for years before my parents finally and reluctantly got me an NES (Yes that's the same one seen in the pictures below!) One of the arcade machines I remember playing in that basement was Donkey Kong, and I never forgot just how difficult the game was.  Even in the late 80s and early 90s when I would go over this friend's house, I still knew there was something special about these older era games, and that memory stuck with me. With the resurgence of the arcades in the early 90s, I was mostly interested in the new games like NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Turtles, etc, but when I started getting down to my last few quarters I would head to the back corners of Aladdin's Castle where they kept the old games that only cost 25cents per credit, milking the last of my resource.

Ok, now that that nostalgia trip is aside, I present you with the latest, and for space limitations in my apartment, FINAL addition to my humble, two machine arcade.  I really wanted a cabaret and I needed one in great condition as it's literally in the middle of my living room.  It arrived this afternoon.  My friend was there to help me set it up and start playing.  My current high score is 80K. 

What's that in the distance??

My friend will be providing fierce competition. We already have an intense Galaga 88 rivalry. 

I got some new side art for that Galaga.

They look so happy together!!

Current high score.  Just warming up.  I to the DK Remix high score save kit, but haven't put it in yet. 
Member for 6 Years Blogger

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
Looks amazing sir! I'd definitely like to get a cabaret someday. Hope to see some big scores from you soon!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:51:26 pm »
Thanks!  It looks like it just rolled off the factory floor!  It has a 2 board set, so the board isn't original, but I was fine with that when I bought it.  I'm going to install the high score save and DK Remix mod soon. 

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:53:48 pm »
Those Cabarets are cool in my book.  Very nice to see. 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:58:37 pm »
Any of you guys in the NYC area?  I'm in Williamsburg, Brooklyn if anyone wants to come over and play some Galaga 88 or DK or meet up at the Barcade just a 10min walk from my place.   :)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:49 pm »
Galaga 88 Kreygasm

Nice looking cabs, sir
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »
Questions:

Have many people kill screened a Cabaret?  How about the cocktail? 

Offline serphintizer

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »
Questions:

Have many people kill screened a Cabaret?  How about the cocktail?

Kappa
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener CK World Record Holder - MAME DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1.2M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Former D2K World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:57 am »
That cabaret!  Kreygasm  BibleThump
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:08:47 am »
This morning I installed the DK Remix and high score save daughter board.  I took some pictures of the inside before I pulled the board out.  Put it all back together and it seems to be working fine.  I also turned down the volume by removing the control panel and lifting the plexi and monitor bezel.  Had to guess which pot it was but found the right one (the bigger one on top). 

I guess you can see how the two board stack fits in here.   Also, you'll notice I have a modern power supply.  The original is still there and I believe it works but as well.

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:02:06 am »
Sir, that cabaret looks in such great condition! I'd love one of those!

The coin door looks monstrous on that little guy!

Fantastic get, good job!!  Kreygasm

Jonesy loves it!!!!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 11:45:58 am »
Thanks Jonesy!

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »
Very nice sir, I love it!

I'm guessing the cabarets were intended for 4-board stacks?  I don't know much outside of the UR's, but am always interested to learn more.

Also, have you noticed any side-to-side shaking of the video?  It's a semi common issue reported by DK owners (myself included) at KLOV.  I guess that's also my sneaky way of encouraging you to get it hooked back up on the original power supply.  However, if the original power supply needs to be re-capped, which is the most likely cause for the switching power supply being installed, you could get symptoms including from the original power supply including the side-to-side shake, waviness in the image, some other visual anomalies.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »
Thanks.  Yes I believe all the cabarets were originally 4 board stacks.  Mine was modified to use the 2 boards.   I have no shakiness or problems with my picture.  The monitor was recently re-capped by the seller who seems like he knew what he was doing.  Actually I believe the original power supply works fine and it was hooked up to it before I bought it.  I requested to have the modern power supply put in because I assumed it would be more reliable long term. Maybe this was an amateur move on my part.  I'm new to this.

Interestingly,  When the seller added the new power supply a problem with the picture developed.  He said the graphics were flickering at the top of the screen, i guess because the newer power supply isnt as strong of a voltage or something.  So he actually swapped out the board and put a different board set in and the problem went away. 

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 04:27:11 pm »
Well, if it's not creating any problems, then no harm no foul.  Me personally, I'm a purist.  Ironically, I actually put a new power supply in my cab to get rid of the shakes.  Turned out the original power supply was creating problems cuz it needed to be re-capped, and then the new replacement only made it worse.  A couple fixes later, including recapping the original power supply, and the shakiness finally went away.  Just an FYI, maybe something to be mindful of if you ever notice anomalies develop with the video/image.

Either way, good luck to you sir in your pursuit of improvement, and that is quite a nice and unique pick-up.  :)
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer