Author Topic: "Riley Theory": Classic gaming is the best way to keep the mind in shape.  (Read 2500 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
 Say what?  Yep, I said it.  <popcorn>
I have some reasons to list off as well.
1. It's real time learning with consequences, and a reward system for making the correct move, and the correct choice.   For instance in scholarly learning the rewards are a good grade in a test, and a good grade in the class overall.  These rewards can takes days, weeks, and months to happen.  While with classic gaming the rewards are immediately recognizable, and are immediately given. 
2.  Many games require a new skill set in order to be very good at them.  Because of this the brain constantly is in a state of learning.  There is always a new problem to solve, and a new movement to master.   If you play Galaga, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Q*Bert, Nibbler, Centipede, Donkey Kong 3, Congo Bongo, Super Zaxxon, among many others you will get a very unique and challenging experience where information you learned from the other games will not have much help to you.
3.  There are thousands of classic games.  So in the end, no one will be able to master every single classic game known to man.  It's humanly impossible.  That's why we have so many different world record holders for all these great games.
4. I can't think of another activity that has real time learning, and rewards, and constantly gives you a different type of skill set to master.
With almost everything else I know the skills you learn are transferable.  The skills you learn in chess are transferable no matter who you play.  The skills you learn in math are transferable no matter what level of math you are in.  The skills you learn in cooking are transferable to other dishes you cook.  The skills you learn in pinball are transferable to other games of pinball.
The skills you learn in Donkey Kong are not transferable to Galaga.  The skills you learn in Galaga, and Donkey Kong are not transferable to Frogger.  The skills you learn in Galaga, Donkey Kong, and Frogger are not transferable to a game of Nibbler.
So for me, I really think classic gaming is the best way to keep a mind in shape as we get older.
So there it is.  I said it. <stirpot>
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
Well I only read the title. Why are there so many people who seemingly suffer from mental illness?
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Well I only read the title. Why are there so many people who seemingly suffer from mental illness?
Hey now, I resemble that remark!  BibleThump

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
One thing I know for sure, in verifying RU scores lately, is DK3 skills definitely don't transfer to Nibbler  Kappa
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
One thing I know for sure, in verifying RU scores lately, is DK3 skills definitely don't transfer to Nibbler  Kappa

Well, that's what grinding is for! Kappa

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard