Author Topic: A way to solve a better Arcade gamer dispute.  (Read 2030 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
A way to solve a better Arcade gamer dispute.
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
Of course my idea doesn't really solve anything, but it would be an interesting competition none the less.  Say for instance Matt Hall decided to challenge Donald Hayes to best Arcade/MAME gamer out there.  I have an interesting way to settle it.  Have a game off challenge.

Here is how this would work.
Each person has the choice of a game they are great at, and the competition goes until one person beats the other person in their choice of game.
So an example
Donald Hayes would pick Centipede.  He, and Matt Hall play one game of Centipede, and if Donald Hayes wins then Matt has to respond with his choice.  Most likely Matt would choose Shock Troopers, and if Matt wins, then Don has to pick another game.   Most likely for Don he's picking something like dig dug, or Super Zaxxon.   This would go over, and over, and over again until one person picks a game, and loses to their competitor.  Then that person would be declared to be the better player.
I don't know if anyone will actually use this idea, but I do think it's a good way to settle whose the better gamer.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: A way to solve a better Arcade gamer dispute.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
I think Replay F/X does a similar type of thing but from a limited pool of games.  But they bracket seed and the higher seed picks the game they have to play vs.  It's an interesting concept for sure.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
Re: A way to solve a better Arcade gamer dispute.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:05 am »
Sounds like a good competition to me too.  Though, as you say, it probably wouldn't solve much.  Declare a competition winner, but hard to say who is the "best gamer."  IMHO to call someone the best as a blanket statement, I'd look for a pattern.  It's possible to have a good or bad day, even for a really good player and not everyone can know all the games.  I also think competitions with unknown games are good.  Maybe Don has a bunch of patterns for Dig Dug, but a test to see who can learn and master a game quickly may be indicative of innate talent/ skill.
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer