Author Topic: Donkey Kong Kill-Screener Timeline  (Read 196751 times)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Kill-Screener Timeline
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2015, 03:32:44 pm »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline serphintizer

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:41 pm »
Quote from: WCopeland
Frankly, Robbie's opinions on MAME usability are irrelevant because Robbie is not a MAME player, and to my knowledge has never played a MAME game of Donkey Kong at a world-class level. This is also a mischaracterization of how Robbie feels about platform differences, which is that there are two records: the arcade platform and the MAME platform.

Irrelevant?  What?!  How should one even approach such ridiculousness?  A million on MAME is a joke to him, we have already seen that.

I feel like I'm in a unique position to address this because I have some of the highest scores ever achieved on both platforms.

For context, you have publicly made these comments on Twitch:

Ethan, rent a U-Haul and bring Dean a machine. Let's see what he's got. Kappa
I don't count Dean's score either.
Reclining in a La-Z-Boy with greasy chips sitting on your belly while playing Donkey Kong should not count.
Smaller muscle groups vs larger muscle groups.
MAME has the advantage all day long.
Reaction time and reflexes.
I have said this before and I'll say it again, Dean knows the secret of all secrets.
Dean's "dinosaur" setup isn't by accident.
Go ask Dean and Jeff Willms, HUGDD.

;D I forgot that the community is heavy into bugging/screenshots/recon.  I stand by those comments (the full context isn't represented, but no matter).  I am convinced, and that is what I believe.  Let's also remember that these comments were made in regards to WORLD RECORD scores (part of the missing context).

By a wide margin, the community disagrees with you that MAME is a huge advantage. At a lower level, such as what I've seen you play at, I can understand how mechanical skill might make a difference. However, at 1.1m+ and especially 1.14m+ paces, I would argue that decision-making by far and away trumps mechanical ability as the most important skill needed to avoid pace decay. I think any player who is able to maintain a 61k level average over six or seven levels realizes this as well.

Arcade on CRT should experience even less input lag than 100% speed MAME on a flatscreen regardless of OS. With this in mind, the only thing left is physical endurance and the mechanical delay caused by a joystick (which, as noted above, doesn't actually matter anyway). None of the top MAME players have had any problem with this:

â€¢Jeff Willms won three Kong Offs in a row (we can go ahead and include KO4).
     â€¢Dean has scored 1.1m on arcade platform at the drop of a hat and has maintained astronomically higher pace very deep into the game on arcade platform.
     â€¢I have performed well at every live event I've ever played at, scoring 1m+ multiple times and taking 3rd overall at KO4. Not to mention the first man 1.1m thing.

The fact of the matter is, every top MAME player has proven their abilities on an arcade cabinet as well. There is no quantifiable evidence I can find to suggest that a top MAME player would struggle on Arcade, or would not be capable of getting the same score on the other platform. I am quite confident that if Dean had access to a cabinet and was grinding on that platform instead of MAME when he was going for his 1.2m, he would've gotten it on Arcade instead. There is little to no evidence that would suggest otherwise.

Right off the bat with argumentum ad populum?!  You are better than that, Wes.  My 1M+ point game with only a 108400 start and zero grouping throughout is considered "low level"?  <gasp>  Let's say that arcade on CRT "should" experience less input lag—even if that were the case, it won't make up for the physical endurance needed or the mechanical delay caused by a joystick (you say it doesn't matter...what?!).  If you don't believe that playing on an arcade machine is a lot more physically, and therefore mentally demanding than playing MAME, I don't know what to tell you (it's rudimentary science).  Weren't your wrists bothering you so much that you had to stop playing on an arcade machine for a while...hmm.  I also remember Dean saying that after playing on an arcade machine, certain muscles would be extremely sore afterwards...hmm.  Speaking of Dean, I know for a fact that he has been given an upgraded computer to use, and has even been offered an arcade machine indefinitely...for free!  He has declined.  There is some evidence for you right there.  Now how ya gonna solve that one, Aguado?
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener CK World Record Holder - MAME DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1.2M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Former D2K World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »
I've sparred with Lexmark before, so I'll let your posts speak for themselves. I have nothing else to add.

Offline serphintizer

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2015, 04:55:11 pm »
I've sparred with Lexmark before, so I'll let your posts speak for themselves. I have nothing else to add.

FailFish What does that even mean?
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener CK World Record Holder - MAME DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1.2M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Former D2K World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
Billy Gaines killscreened on November 1st, but I'll just let his own "victory speech" do the talking:   :)

"Donkey Kong 'Kill Screen' is here! I got to the 117th board aka the Kill Screen a few minutes ago. After a 19 month battle (to the day) and many failed attempts, I finally beat that big Ape. Thanks to so many people for their support. Jerry Bagwell turned me on to the King of Kong documentary a few years ago and after watching it again April 1st of last year I began my Kill Screen quest. The support of Wes Copeland, Robbie Lakeman, Allen Staal, Joe Dupre, Dan Solis, Aaron C Truitt, Jeremy Young, Chris Psaros, Brian Allen, Jonathan Mccourt, Mark Kiehl, Ethan Daniels, Andrew Gardikis, Andrew Barrow, Andrew Garrett, Eric Tessler, Todd Anthony Lalonde, Al Jones, Duc, Michelle Heckman, Jeff Strickland, Todd Heard, Vincent Lemay, George Riley, Phil Tudose, Ken House, Jeff Harrist and many others helped keep me going. Thanks to Billy Mitchell for setting the Kill Screen as a standard of arcade excellence. Walter Aldro Day Jr. & Richie Knucklez thanks for keeping our hobby alive with your work and passion. Dan Solis of the Z82 Retrocade in Sherwood, AR you are the man my friend. Most of all I thank my lovely wife Yuliya Gaines for putting up with me during the countless hours of play. Love you babe! OMG ... Tears .. LIT!"
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Online xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:13 am »
Billy Gaines killscreened on November 1st, but I'll just let his own "victory speech" do the talking:   :)

This was an Arcade KS, currently listed as MAME.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2015, 07:33:16 am »
Ike Hall's game on 6/14/2009 was not a killscreen. Unsure if he ever did.

Josh Criss game date should be 11/7/2010 (or the verification date of 11/22/2010).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2015, 04:19:56 pm »

What's a man gotta do to get his badge? 
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2015, 04:51:29 pm »

What's a man gotta do to get his badge?
JC is the only person who can apply badges unfortunately, and I think he has been busy as of late.  If I see him here, ill remind him to add your badge.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Fliplismc

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2015, 02:11:22 am »
Just did my first Donkey Kong Killscreen . unfortunely l did not record it, cause im in Australia but did it live at Bartronia Arcade in Melbourne. Thank you everyone here at The DK Forum for The support, still cant believe it. Final score was 852.500
CK MAME: 601,000 - KS
DK Arcade: 853,500 - KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2015, 05:38:34 am »
outstanding! congrats johnny :)
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2015, 05:45:54 am »
Just did my first Donkey Kong Killscreen . unfortunely l did not record it, cause im in Australia but did it live at Bartronia Arcade in Melbourne. Thank you everyone here at The DK Forum for The support, still cant believe it. Final score was 852.500
Awesome!  Kongrats!
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2015, 10:16:30 am »

Sweet! How many people were able to be there to celebrate with you at the Killscreen?!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Fliplismc

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »

Sweet! How many people were able to be there to celebrate with you at the Killscreen?!
there were about 20 people in the arcade at the time but not many people gave a shit about it, playing Mario kart and pinball but the girl behind The counter loved it, and The guys next to me playing mortal Kombat watched it :) Highfives, hugs and cold beers, it was Awesome!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:34:53 pm by Fliplismc »
CK MAME: 601,000 - KS
DK Arcade: 853,500 - KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »
Added! :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener