Author Topic: Games that are impossible to play on MAME 4 way keyboard  (Read 3430 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Games that are impossible to play on MAME 4 way keyboard
« on: December 19, 2016, 04:09:26 pm »
Playing Scramble of all games inspired me with this post.  I tried over, and over again at one point in the game to try to get past a certain point in scramble. For those wondering, it's when it's nothing but fuel tanks.  After a whole bunch of failure I decided to look at someones Youtube video, and I realized, "Hey I can't do that with my four way keyboard arrows.  Sure enough he mentioned how you needed a good joystick for that particular part.  My guess is that it's possible with an 8 way joystick, but if you don't have it, it's basically impossible.  Are there any other games where at a certain point it's basically impossible to play the game?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Games that are impossible to play on MAME 4 way keyboard
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 04:14:33 pm »
Depends what you're used to

I've been playing scramble lately too and find the maze section trivial with keyboard. I don't have the precise movement needed when using a joy and die every time.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »

I've been playing scramble lately too and find the maze section trivial with keyboard. I don't have the precise movement needed when using a joy and die every time.
Hmm, are you playing 4 way or 8 way on MAME?  4 Way isn't doing the same thing I see on the video unless there is some trick I am missing.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 04:22:46 pm »

Hmm, are you playing 4 way or 8 way on MAME?  4 Way isn't doing the same thing I see on the video unless there is some trick I am missing.

I'm playing with a standard keyboard. Not sure I follow what you're asking
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:59 pm »
Look at this video.  He's hugging the wall with his ship as he goes down.  That doesn't happen when I go down.  I go down at a 45 degree angle while this guy is going at a near 90 degree angle.  I can't do that.   

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
Nevermind.  I figured out what the problem was.  It's me being an idiot.  Didn't think of going fast, and then super slow on the decent. :P

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:01:39 pm »
Yep holding back and up/down will make you go straight up/down, then let the screen push you forwards until you're low/high enough to speed up