Author Topic: Two things that separate DK3 from 95% of shooter games  (Read 5742 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Two things that separate DK3 from 95% of shooter games
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:06:14 pm »
For awhile I wondered.  Why do some people who are great at shooter games have problems with DK3.  After playing a decent amount of shooter games over the past two years, I think I figured out the answer.  There are two main things that are different from 95% of shooter games.

1) Invincible enemies that are on the screen for the entire level, level after level.  95% all shooter games seem to have enemies that can be killed, and even if there is an invincible enemy that enemy doesn't stay on screen the entire level.  I think for many the fact you can't kill donkey kong, and you can't kill the worms mentally blocks them from succeeding in the game.

2) There is no vanish/invincibility/bomb button that basically makes your character safe for a few seconds.  Yes, there is a super spray, but for two of three levels that super spray is very hard to get to.  It can be gotten, but no without great risk to your life to get it.  For me, for games that have this button, I tend to really struggle with the game because I am always a split second too late in pressing the button to save myself.  So a game like 1942 is a game that's near impossible for me to do decent in.

Of course there are five percent of games that do have these two things.  One that comes to mind is Robotron.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
Re: Two things that separate DK3 from 95% of shooter games
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:41:36 am »
For me, the biggest difference is that DK3 is a 4-way game while most shooters are 8-way.  In 1942 I can move my plane in a circular direction while DK3 it's only left/right or up/down.
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Two things that separate DK3 from 95% of shooter games
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:53 am »
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that concerns over DK falling is a part of the game that needs to be accounted for, especially on the harder settings.  It's not just shooting everything on the screen, you have to also deal with prioritization of keeping up Kong.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener