Author Topic: Marathonable games for tournaments  (Read 3733 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Marathonable games for tournaments
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:42:22 am »
It seems to me that I think we have an unnecessary fear of marathonable games for tournaments.   The reason I say this is because most games that are thought of as marathonable a good 90 percent of the tourney participants WON'T be able to marathon during tournament time.   So I guess what I am saying is marathonable games get a bad rap.  My two cents.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Marathonable games for tournaments
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:08:18 am »
Online tourneys they're fine, if someone wants to skip work or something and play all day that's their prerogative.   For live tourneys it's a bit tricky.  Timber and Kick were in the FS tourneys before and with a few people marathoning/kill screening them it tied up the machines for a day or two which when you have 100 participants all trying to get on games it's not the best plan if it can be avoided with substitute games/tougher settings.  That being said, using the Aurcade system where point differential matters greatly, it makes no sense to play them at all other than to just qualify on it, if you can't marathon it and someone else can. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:41:39 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:44:55 am »
Online tourneys they're fine, if someone wants to skip work or something and play all day that's their prerogative.   For live tourneys it's a bit tricky.  Timber and Kick were in the FS tourneys before and with a few people marathoning/kill screening them it tied up the machines for a day or two which when you have 100 participants all trying to get on games it's not the best plan if it can be avoided with substitute games/tougher settings.  That being said, using the Aurcade system where point differential matters greatly, it makes no sense to play them at all other than to just qualify on it, if you can't marathon it and someone else can.
Yeah, I was thinking more in the lines of IGBY, and Yolympics.  Not live tourneys.  I agree with you, that for live tourneys it doesn't work out.  This is for more the month long tourneys.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »
There's zero need for marathonable games in these competitions when the tournament variations almost always serve as a better test of skill
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:23:54 pm »
There's zero need for marathonable games in these competitions when the tournament variations almost always serve as a better test of skill

Agree. honestly I prefer the 1 hour time limit as well. Makes the games exciting and really gets a competition going for every team and you dont end up spending forever on a title.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:11:51 pm »

Agree. honestly I prefer the 1 hour time limit as well. Makes the games exciting and really gets a competition going for every team and you dont end up spending forever on a title.

I'd love to see some one hour stuff in these tourneys as it encourages different strategies than the norm and brings a fresh life to these games. I don't think I've ever played a game with a time limit in mind. More TG needed tracks I reckon <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »
One more reason BOTA is the best CAG tournament. We have had lots of marathonable games. Sometimes we use tournament settings, sometimes we use 1 hour. Both have their place but like Dan I prefer the 1 hour track, learning to maximize points per hour really pays.

-Ken

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer