Author Topic: What are the easiest golden age CAG records to break?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
What are the easiest golden age CAG records to break?
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:57:48 am »
As far as Golden Age goes I am going to let each person decide what time frame that is.  But I am genuinely interested in which games from this era are the easiest.
I am not positive on what games Brian Kuhn broke when he broke a whole bunch of Arcade records in a day, but I am pretty sure most of them are pretty easy to break.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline timhett

• Awards
Re: What are the easiest golden age CAG records to break?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:20:46 pm »
DK3 of course Kappa
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:50:24 pm »
DK3 of course Kappa
Well that's an obvious one.  Kappa
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

spectre

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:06 am »
First thought that came to my mind is probably games that weren't well known and by default doesn't have a lot of competition? A game that comes to mind is Roc'n Rope(1983). The Twin Galaxies record is 487k, a great score, but it's also the only score. With my limited experience with the game it tells me that, like Donkey Kong, it's the same boards that repeat in a cycle and the difficulty top out at some point.

More popular games that come to mind, that in my opinion, are "easy" to beat are Galaga (Fast Fire) and Gradius/Nemesis. In Galaga's (1981) case it comes down to knowing the patterns and knowing how to play the game. You have to memorize the bonus stages but after that it becomes a marathon. Fast Fire helps to give you the advantage and lowers the difficulty compared to the original.

Gradius (1985) is purely memorization. It's 5 stages, if memory serves me, and the game loops indefinitely, so once you've got the patterns/strategies down, it also becomes a marathon.

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:08:34 am »
First thought that came to my mind is probably games that weren't well known and by default doesn't have a lot of competition? A game that comes to mind is Roc'n Rope(1983). The Twin Galaxies record is 487k, a great score, but it's also the only score. With my limited experience with the game it tells me that, like Donkey Kong, it's the same boards that repeat in a cycle and the difficulty top out at some point.

If memory serves, Roc'n Rope ends after only a few screens, so like Donkey Kong it becomes all about the point pressing.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer