Author Topic: Although CAG is small it still has the most important thing.  (Read 3401 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Recently I was listening to an interview of Kershaw.  For those non baseball fans, he is one of the greatest pitchers out there.
He made mention that the greatest thing is the respect of his peers.  This is a man who is filthy rich, and very well known wherever he goes.  Yet despite all that he listed respect of peers as most important.  His reasoning was they were really the only ones who had any idea of how hard of a thing you do.
So while classic arcade gaming lacks the fame, money, groupies, and adoring fans we still have what matters most.  The respect of our peers.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Re: Although CAG is small it still has the most important thing.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:32:36 pm »

Nurse!
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VectorGamer

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 07:32:32 am »
we still have what matters most.  The respect of our peers.

Judging by what I read on social media there's probably an equal amount of disrespect
Star Castle (Vectrex) Champion Of the World!
PAPA 20 Ghostbusters Champ
Member Of the Billionaire Club
Member for 8 Years Blogger

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
we still have what matters most.  The respect of our peers.

Judging by what I read on social media there's probably an equal amount of disrespect

The majority of the people on social media who spew that kind of garbage (namely an abusive SJW from the northwest) never actually attend live events... nor really have a net positive impact for the community.

These people who exist only to stir up drama don't really represent the CAG community as a whole, and are better off left ignored to their own delusions. You must accept that some of these people quite possibly have mental issues that are beyond anyone but a professional's ability to help. The CAG community is much larger than them, any forum, or even the entire score-chasing community ... and I'd say DKF/TG/CAGDC probably only make up about 1% of the people who have a vested interest.

It's really easy to get caught in the trap of negativity ... I've fallen into it a few times myself. This is exactly what they want, so try to avoid it. At the end of the day, you are solely responsible for what you take in from the community. It's very easy to turn certain sources of noise off and only take in the content that drives you. Go play some new games, try to raise your scores, or introduce a friend to the hobby.

This is all about having fun. I like playing retro video games, and I like people who like playing retro video games. If someone isn't having fun, they're either doing something wrong or they're in the hobby for the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:06:34 pm by WCopeland »

Offline VectorGamer

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 01:29:08 pm »
This is all about having fun. I like playing retro video games, and I like people who like playing retro video games. If someone isn't having fun, they're either doing something wrong or they're in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

Yeah man I don't get it. Video games are supposed to be fun that's why they're called amusements.
Star Castle (Vectrex) Champion Of the World!
PAPA 20 Ghostbusters Champ
Member Of the Billionaire Club
Member for 8 Years Blogger

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »
I have fun for the wrong reasons.  <popcorn>
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener