Poll

Should we allow score submissions from Johns pace rom?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Accept submissions from Johns pace rom?  (Read 30136 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Accept submissions from Johns pace rom?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »
If someone were to complete a barrel board on a certain frame of the flashing 1UP, the fireball spawn timing on the following rivets board would be the same between both normal DK and Pace ROM sets.

In-game timing will be the same.   The Z80 does take a little bit of processing time to draw the pace chart onto the "how high" screen, but the code also shortens the delay timer for how long that screen stays up so the timing from screen to screen stays the same.

The RNG does not change in character, it generates exactly as random as before - but random on DK is a little special.. it's impossible to prove that there is zero effect on the random generator.    If you took the DK ROMs, and replaced one "JP (address)" (that actually gets executed) with a "JR (address)" and even though both opcodes perform the same operation (jump to an address) the difference would cause an .INP file saved from one to desync when played on the other in MAME...  even though there would be no actual logic difference between both of those ROMs.

Similarly, the minor differences in clock crystals and other components from DK PCB to DK PCB also means no two DK PCB sets could ever spew out exactly the same sequence of random numbers, from fresh power up or not.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that random is still totally random but this is something that can't be demonstrably proven.   The only way to get a consensus would be for enough people to play and see that they have the same proportion of good and/or bad randomness as they normally do.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 09:46:24 am »
I'd probably be more inclined to accept submissions from the Pace ROM if it were open source.

Offline _Zaphod_

• Prime Сasual Dating True Females
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 10:50:03 am »
Here is what i know.

1) pauline pace program is undetectable. it is an advantage, but we can't possibly know.
2) pace rom supposedly doesn't affect gameplay.

therefore there should be no difference between the two.

Therefore a test.  record an imp on one, and play it back on the other. it should sync, if the two are truly identical.

if playback syncs between the two, then there is no change, and it should be allowed.  if it dos not sync, then it dose affect gameplay, and scores with it are not comparable to pauline assisted scores.

If it does sync, then it's possible to just convert the inp and play it back without pace anyway, making it just as undetectable.

Sorry for being late to the party.