Author Topic: Steve weibe Donkey kong review from funspot 2007  (Read 9015 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Steve weibe Donkey kong review from funspot 2007
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:24:00 am »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
Re: Steve weibe Donkey kong review from funspot 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:59 am »
wow I can't believe how hostile they are towards him...  I have read that he played with a 8-way joystick but does anyone know the explanation to how he could climb continuously with those joystick clicks?
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:19:34 am »
This is awesome...i've been wanting to see this video for a while. 

Um, i've never played with an 8-way joystick, but I would assume that if you are pushing up to climb a ladder...then move the joystick back and forth between stragiht up, and up/right...you could keep climbing without stopping...and make those joystick clicks.

What he is doing is a technique that I don't believe has ever really been proven...but some believe that you can 'push' the firefoxes away by pushing the joystick in the direction away from you.  I'm guilty of believing this in a way.

This is also why you will see some players hit to the right in the air as they jump left back over the first rivet during the star pattern...they think they are forcing the firefoxes away from them...and maybe they are....<spooky music>.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:16:23 am »
seems like a totaly un-biased replay analysis here, top notch.  Thanks for posting this!
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:29:47 am »
I've seen this video before (forgot where I saw it).

You have to consider the time and context of the video in order to understand why they were so hostile toward Steve.  Imagine today, an unknown DK player came out of nowhere and scored 1.3M.  This is exactly how they were feeling.  I'm sure everyone on this forum would be skeptical and scrutinizing the tape just as hard as or harder than they were.

As for the 8 way joystick, I don't know if anyone has definitively shown whether you can steer barrels while climbing ladders (on the rivet stage, I don’t believe it does anything).  One of these days I'm going to take the restrictor plate out of my CP and test it out.   Steve certainly seemed to be doing it when he was playing on an 8 way.  In MAME, you definitely CANNOT do it.  In an arcade cabinet it seems possible based on Steve's tapes.  If you are accustomed to a 4 way, playing on an 8 way would actually be a disadvantage, but in theory if steering while climbing is possible and you practiced on an 8 way it could be an advantage.  I'm sure Steve would now agree that scores on an 8 way should be excluded, but back then he was an outsider and didn't know any better.

I don't think anyone did anything "wrong"; everyone acted logically under the circumstances.  Given what we know now, it is funny to hear their comments.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:55:35 pm »
    I'm sure everyone on this forum would be skeptical and scrutinizing the tape just as hard as or harder than they were.

You bet the tape would be scrutinized, but I don't think people on this forum would be "calling BS" on obviously routine aspects of the game.  :D
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
You bet the tape would be scrutinized, but I don't think people on this forum would be "calling BS" on obviously routine aspects of the game.  :D

I'd be calling BS before I even saw the tape hahaha.

wberdan7

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »
This video... wow. 

Zetherman

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:09:27 am »
very interesting indeed. so did anyone ever test out whether or not you can steer whilst on a ladder without stopping your climb using an 8 way on arcade ?