Author Topic: Strange Scores  (Read 20013 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Strange Scores
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 01:14:04 am »
Looks like a chit game to me. Kappa

http://imgur.com/NG5X9fU
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 06:40:15 am »
Oh, this is an oldie but goodie topic. The video that had me question it the most back then was this after the DK junior score was achieved. Just the things said by Todd and why didn't they just point the camera at the screen in this video? Billy backs up real quick to cover the screen. And all Todd says is, everyone will know when they see the video. Don't know, just seemed strange. Most people would go straight to the machine that the score was just achieved on and show the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdrEgk2l6g
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:52:30 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 08:30:17 am »
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was a "live" score. I'm not aware of any claim of Billy's to that effect, but then, as far as I know, I don't think Billy has ever owned a DK either, so unless it was at somebody else's house, it would have to been "live" in the sense of "live" being at a public location. Nobody really knows anything about this score though (except  <Billy>).

Just what I said.

11:27: "Right. The Tape. Well maybe they mean the tape from the movie."
12:27: "But the game itself was actually played in a room in front of, you know, crowds and crowds of people. And I never actually had...I never actually had access, um, to the board."

So, a clear claim that the 1,047,200 was done in front of a crowd. Also, this is a direct feed game...but he didn't have access to the PCB?  ??? Am I wrong that this was a direct feed game?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:44:43 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 04:32:41 pm »
dafkk?

Wow, I wasn't watching when that interview happened.

So the 1,047 was supposedly played in front of "crowds and crowds of people," but in the movie the tape was given to Brian/Doris as if it was top secret nuclear codes and nobody had ever seen it before.

If this game had live witnesses, who were the witnesses, what was the venue, and why was it a surprise to everybody at Funspot if it was a public game??

I've actually been waiting since just after KO2 for a public discussion of this to happen. ;D I was *ahem* awakened around that time. I wasn't gonna push the issue, but it's interesting to see it come out of the closet.

<popcorn>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:36:28 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 04:46:38 pm »
Unfortunately just as conversation was getting interesting and it looked like fresh looks at the videos from Boomers were yielding new information, Mark Alpiger decided to abruptly end the inquiry and lock the discussion about the facts of the event.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
OK, you don't need to be an expert to realize this is a Donkey Kong Junior screen.  I ask ANYONE.  To just start a Donkey Kong Junior game.  The game has Insert Coin, and Player Coin in different Colors.  Now go to a Donkey Kong game.  The Insert Coin, and Player Coin are in the same color.  Now check out Billy Mitchell's screen in the background.  It's in different colors were the Insert Coin, and Player Coin is.

But the most obvious evidence is at 1:31.  Check it out yourself.  Are those vines you see or ladders?  They are vines.  Even being super fuzzy it's plain as day they are vines.

Maybe another person can refute me.  That actually would be nice.

You are 100% correct... it was a DK Jr screen. I keep trying to freeze that split second the screen is visible but am not able to... but there were clearly vines.
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 10:36:40 am »
I can tell DK is in a cage around the 2:04 mark. Definitely a DK Jr. screen.   <popcorn>

I'm also still not sure what <Pigger> was thinking as far as defamation. That thread did amuse me. Too bad he didn't let it keep going.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:56 pm »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:08:35 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/dxYRGWK.jpg

EDIT:  <popcorn>
I think the key question to be asking is if this "moments after breaking donkey kong record" video was made before they made the "board swap" video converting the machine from DK Jr to DK Jr, or after.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
My question, and I'm serious about it, is why did they go out of their way to shoot, and then post, videos from that day which are both totally unnecessary and self-incriminating?

If nobody's asking for a video of a board-swap, and you don't have both a DK and a DK Junior boardset in your posession on the day when you supposedly used both, and the video is going to end up having to be an obvious Junior for Junior swap, then I dunno, call me crazy, but maybe it would be better to just not film or upload the video at all??
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
Iv seen the board swap video before, and noted they swapped the exact same JR board in and out. I never heard the audio before though, and it really is pretty damning, "we have a donkey kong board in our hands".

The billy mitchell speaks video does not read like it was filmed between records, they talk like both records are done and its over. With the feel and background noise of the videos id speculate that all three videos (billy speaks, board swap, new jr record) were shot within minutes, not hours, of each other...

8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:47:28 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
Yeah there are so many shady things in the videos. Another one being it's known that Billy's tapes/submission are direct feed. There was no sign of a cable leaving the cabinet going to a direct feed recorder. I'm not ever sure how you do it, do you split the RGB feed to the monitor and go straight to a VHS, etc..

About the first video being done before or in between, the board swap video gives the indication that Billy starts the DK Jr. right after the board swap. SO he would have had to die then step away record the first video shows DK Jr in the back ground. And of course the funny thing about the after the DK Jr record, Rob must have left, went home and went to sleep, because Billy got him out of bed to come see the record.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

jammyyy

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »
The direct feed would have to be off the pcb , so ether they split the video line to monitor and one to a RGBS to RCA component adapter for a VCR , and it would have to be after A  inverter board to be pos inverted for the VCR. if it was a Nintendo inverter board it one in put and two out puts Inverted  and non - inverted. so the non-inverted could go to monitor and the pos inverded could go to a RGBS to RCA component adapter for a VCR. i didn't see any thing that look like that :)  it all makes no sens to even record the game if its being done live, its not needed. and why in 2010-11 i cant remember would you even use a VCR there lots of USB capture devises that have RCA component input to record on computer with .... why would any one want to drag a VCR to a remote location to record when you dont have to set the record in first place?.... it is what it is ,,  In less there some kinda phantom of the opera character at his house playing games for him :)  i`m sure Billy recorded them games at home like he`s has done before in past and just pull yet another fast one. The good old boy system was still alive and well back then :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:23:21 pm by jammyyy »

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:19 pm »
I'd just like to quote the wise words of community elder Mark Alpiger from earlier in this thread when it was over at CAGDC about "Strange Scores" in the TG database:

Quote from: MDARULZ
BTW, the reason this comes up like a broken record, as you say, is that it's so silly that it happened in the first place.  Walter is a great / nice guy, and took the lead in scorekeeping, while no one else did...  Kudos !!!  But... with that leadership / position comes responsibility, and he took the 'nice' route, and we've paid the price (with false scores, bad decisions regarding stitched-together scores, etc.) ever since.  The point is not about Walter not being perfect...   The point is, the topic comes up over and over because of the problems generated by the oversight not being as nearly as thorough / accurate as it should have been...

It's good to see Mark Alpiger not afraid of calling Walter and TG out about the lack of oversight in the past that's resulted in a database of scores that is hard to trust and believe in.

Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 12:32:08 pm »
TG pulled plausible Junior scores from the database in the 80s, so they weren't nice to everybody. :)

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer