Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Possible incompatibity issue with DK Remix board  (Read 24559 times)

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
Re: IMPORTANT: Possible incompatibity issue with DK Remix board
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 12:18:50 pm »
It was me who first broke it bwhahaha :D   BibleThump
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:26 pm »
It was me who first broke it bwhahaha :D   BibleThump

Ah, fun times.  I almost had a heart attack watching one of the very first boards glitch out, live, on stream.  haha

It was good to find out as soon as possible, and also live I guess, because it helped to figure out it was the NEC Z80 right away.

Later, I went and got myself a pretty janky DK PCB, found the most marginal Z80 chip I could find, and that's what I use for testing.   If it works on this janky setup, it's going to work no matter what.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline raulito

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »
This just happened so I don't have full verification or details yet, but it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue if your DK PCB has a certain variant of the Z80 chip.

I don't know if this is common or rare yet.  I have investigating to do.

If you have a Z80 chip labelled "NEC D780C" on your DK PCB, the Remix board may not function correctly.

The solution most likely is to switch the Z80 with a different one.  My DK PCB has a "SHARP LH0080A Z80A-CPU"

Basically, I think anything that ends with an "A" will be fine.  A Z80 chip with a number ending with a "C" might not be.

If people can check their DK PCBs to see how common a "C" type chip is, I would be extremely grateful.  (especially anyone who's already waiting for their board to arrive)

If it's common, I'm going to maybe include a Z80A with each Remix board but it's going to delay things.

I'm sorry everyone.  I'm going to do everything I can to fix this.

Which pcs? 1,2 or 5 pcs? I already ordered a DK Remix with Deranged Edition kit with a Zilog Z80a CPU and does not go into the Z80 CPU socket. Do I need an adapter for the Zilog or to buy the Sharp LH0080A Z80A-CPU?
Member for 6 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 05:54:09 pm »
Which pcs? 1,2 or 5 pcs? I already ordered a DK Remix with Deranged Edition kit with a Zilog Z80a CPU and does not go into the Z80 CPU socket. Do I need an adapter for the Zilog or to buy the Sharp LH0080A Z80A-CPU?

What do you mean by 1,2 or 5 pcs?

The DK Remix kit is compatible with every brand of Z80 now so you can just use the Z80 that is already on your DK PCB.  Unplug the Z80 from it's socket on the DK PCB, plug the DK Remix kit into the main PCB's Z80 socket, then plug the Z80 chip into the DK Remix kit.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer