Author Topic: Delayed movements  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Delayed movements
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:04:30 am »
Junior:

Is there any reason why Junior takes so long to move sometimes? I've noticed that quite consistently on the springboard stage, he has a tendency to dick around and hang there for a split second before actually descending down any of the ropes. It happens other places too but less frequently (from my experience)

There was an instance today where it seemed to take even longer than usual.
I ran the INP back through with the -iv option (input viewer), and he took 14, yes you read that right, FOURTEEN!! frames of the down arrow before Junior even moved an inch. 13 dead frames. Thats basically 1/4 of a second.

WTF Junior

Is this a MAME issue alone?

Sorry - I know this turned out a bit ranty, but if anyone knows why this happens it would be much appreciated if you could spare some time for a post or point me in the right direction.

Heres the video where I used frame advance (shift+P) to show the inputs in each frame
Frame 10131 - down arrow input first registered
Frame 10144 - first movement
http://youtu.be/zTfwmC44OME
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:07:59 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Delayed movements
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:08:35 am »
Junior:

Is there any reason why Junior takes so long to move sometimes? I've noticed that quite consistently on the springboard stage, he has a tendency to dick around and hang there for a split second before actually descending down any of the ropes. It happens other places too but less frequently (from my experience)

Hey mate,

I've always had this issue, especially on the springboard level there is often a huge delay when wanting to come down quickly on a vine. So, MAME or PCB, Junior does seem to enjoy dicking around on a regular basis. FailFish
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:10:23 am by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:39:40 am »
No, that's normal. I don't know why it's that way, I just assumed it was intentional...sort of a breaking of a tight two fisted grip delay. That could be completely wrong though. Like the springboard, whether it's intentional or broken, it's been that way for decades and it's not changing, ever (well maybe if you marinate the roms it will)  <Tim> . So it's one of those things you have to adjust to and be prepared for and try not to overthink I guess. I didn't realize that the delay was variable and was different based on what screen you were playing, but it does seem more noticeable on the springboard screen.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:06:18 am »
No, that's normal. I don't know why it's that way, I just assumed it was intentional...sort of a breaking of a tight two fisted grip delay. That could be completely wrong though. Like the springboard, whether it's intentional or broken, it's been that way for decades and it's not changing, ever (well maybe if you marinate the roms it will)  <Tim> . So it's one of those things you have to adjust to and be prepared for and try not to overthink I guess. I didn't realize that the delay was variable and was different based on what screen you were playing, but it does seem more noticeable on the springboard screen.

Cheers for the info. It might just be me but it definitely seems variable from screen to screen and also within the springboard screen itself.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer