Author Topic: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details  (Read 45770 times)

WCopeland

Hi everyone. Before we went our separate ways in Banning, CA yesterday, Robbie Lakeman, Richie Knucklez, and I sat down to discuss Kong Off 5. Robbie and I were asked to share publicly most of the details of the lengthy conversation, so I am formalizing everything that was discussed right here.

When and Where?

Barring something unforeseeable, Kong Off 5 will be held at ReplayFX (David L. Lawrence Convention Center @ Pittsburgh, PA) once again. ReplayFX 2016 is being held on July 28, 2016 - July 31, 2016.

Format

KO5's format will mirror KO4's. The format for KO5 will be the format for every Kong Off going forward. While I don't have exact time spans, we can assume this will mean two days of score competition followed by a final bracket. I do have confirmed the final bracket will consist of the top eight players from the scoring competition. The bracket will not be incorrectly drawn this time around. 1st will play 8th, 2nd will play 7th, etc, until a winner is crowned. All matches will be single-elimination sudden death: one credit, no restarts.

Qualification Details

Twelve machines will be reserved for DKF Top 12, Arcade platform. Before you take out your pitchforks, there are no players that this platform regulation would currently "filter out".

The deadline to make it into the Arcade Top 12 is still forthcoming (if there is one). If a player were to achieve a 1.1m+ MAME score and be filtered out of the top 12 player pool due to platform regulation, Richie will reach out to that player and see what can possibilities can be made about their qualification. However, if you are not currently in the arcade top 12 and don't want to deal with this hassle and wish to have a dedicated machine at KO5, it is strongly encouraged you break into the top 12 using an arcade cabinet.

Each player in the top 12 will have a dedicated personal cabinet at KO5. If a player from the top 12 decides not to attend, the next player in line gets their cabinet (eg -- if one of the top 12 decides not to go, #13 gets their cab). Details on how remaining machines will be allocated is forthcoming.

Currently Qualified Players (as of February 17, 2016)

This thread will be kept up-to-date with the players that are currently allocated dedicated cabs at the KO5 event. If a player drops, next in line will take their place.

DKO First Place Seed
Mick Winzeler - 1,035,400 (DKO#4)
Seeding begins from DKO#3. Current DKO standings can be found here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:38:32 pm by WCopeland »

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
Re: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »
I am interested to see what players come out of the woodwork for the qualifiers ... <popcorn>
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:16:27 pm »
One cabinet will go to the #1 seed in Eric's Donkey Kong Online Open tournaments that have happened since KO4. Remove the arcade top 12 from the aggregate list and you have the #1 seed. The seeded player will get a cab even if their score was done on MAME.

Do you mean this season of DKOs, which actually started before KO4?
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:25:37 pm »
Only DKOs post-KO4. Wasn't your score done during an event after KO4?

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »
DKO #3 was the fist post-KO4 DKO.
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:38 pm »
Oops - this has now been fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:23:50 pm »
    • One cabinet will be available for walk-ups to compete on. There will be a fee to play on this cabinet (fee not yet set in stone).

OMG ... YES!  'I just qualified for KO5!'  tears  <Allen> lit
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:24 am »
Until KO5, there will be several regional qualifiers. Only one of these is 100% set in stone, and updates will be posted as more are officially confirmed, however they are and could include:
  • Free Play Florida (not confirmed, November 2015 -- Orlando, FL)
  • Kong Off 4.5 (confirmed, January 2016 -- Banning, CA)
  • MAGFest 2016 (not confirmed, February 2016 -- National Harbor, MD)
  • Kong Klash 7 (not confirmed... I will talk to Richie about this one, May 2016 -- Sherwood, AR)
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade Qualifier (not confirmed but mentioned possible by Richie, date unknown -- Chicago, IL)
  • The Place Retro Arcade Qualifier (not confirmed but mentioned possible by Richie, date unknown -- Cincinnati, OH)

Are there any plans on expanding this potential list for regional qualifiers, or reaching out in order to make other locations aware of the two machines up for grabs? Also, how are these scores going to be verified? A designated "ref" local to the area?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 12:38:08 am »
I like almost everything about all of this, except the "fee" to play on the walk-up cab.

This just seems weird, and kind of tacky somehow.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

WCopeland

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:20 am »
At first I was opposed to it, but then I realized it was a deterrent to keep someone from hogging the machine the entire event and thus dodging the qualifier system altogether (and devaluing everyone who qualified's hard work). For that purpose, I think it's effective.

Offline domchimp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 09:25:18 am »
It would be nice to see a qualifier at FunSpot...right Robbie?? #dontforgetyourroots :D
Member for 10 Years

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 12:34:11 pm »
there will only be sixteen machines at KO5

Why was this decision made?  Is there a competition related reason to reduce the number of machines going forward or is this more of a business decision related to supply and demand of building and then selling the machines?

From a competition standpoint, it seems to me that trying to grow every year would make more sense -- especially since the number of highly competitive players within the community continues to grow.  Qualifying into the Top 8 finals bracket out of a competition of 12 or 13 players is somewhat problematic imo -- for a finals bracket of this size I think that a competition between 20 to 24 players would make more sense.

Twelve of these machines will be reserved for DKF Top 12, Arcade platform.

In my opinion, this is repeating old mistakes that should have been learned from by now.  On a personal level I know that this will almost certainly cause me to become unqualified for the competition unless I end up taking the "online qualifier" machine -- which it is still unclear to me exactly how that slot will be determined.  From a community perspective, I think this hurtful overall as it is a highly restrictive policy in a hobby where we desperately need to be more inclusive.  This is the sort of attitude that made highly talented players such as Scott Kessler and Phil Tudose completely quit the "sport", and that is a great shame.

One cabinet will be available for walk-ups to compete on. There will be a fee to play on this cabinet (fee not yet set in stone).

The details of precisely how this will be handled should be rigerously thought out and not left until the last minute or improvised on the fly.

One cabinet will go to the #1 seed in Eric's Donkey Kong Online Open tournaments that have happened since KO4 (DKO#3 and beyond). Remove the arcade top 12 from the aggregate list and you have the #1 seed. The seeded player will get a cab even if their score was done on MAME.

I have not been following very closely how this has been handled, but all of a sudden it has become quite relavent for me so I hope that this can be further explained.  How exactly is the aggregate list calculated?  Is it simply the single highest scoring submission across all of the online competitions?

To further clarify, this means Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe currently do not qualify for cabinets at Kong Off 5.

I am likely in the minority on this, but I still feel that this is a mistake.  I really think that these guys should basically have lifetime invitations to all future competitions for a variety of reasons.  I don't necessarily know what's happening with these guys behind the scenes and if either of them has expressed that they might not be interested in attending any longer or not, but I think that if they want to compete they should be invited -- call it a "Former Arcade WR Holder Exemption" or something (which, incidentally, would include Tim Sczerby, which I personally feel would be a great thing).

I know that in recent competitions, Billy seems to be embracing the "MC" role, and Steve seemed to enjoy providing live commentary, and if they expressed that they wanted to withdraw from competing in favor of contributing in roles like this I think that would be an interesting development, but there is no doubt that their presence at these events is valuable.

As for event planning, I think that starting immediately, anything and everything that can be done to plan for improved live streaming of the event (and marketing such coverage in advance) should be a major focus.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME Twitch Streamer

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 01:05:43 pm »
The reduction of cabinets that are availible is also a big suprise to me.  In this year alone, many new players have come out of nowhere, showing great potential. 

Additionally, despite being an arcade exclusive player, I find the "throwing out" of mame scores to be an extreme step in the wrong direction, even if it doesn't affect any current top 12 players...

I am mostly happy that that these things are being discussed now, instead of a few months before the event
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 02:11:02 pm »
As for event planning, I think that starting immediately, anything and everything that can be done to plan for improved live streaming of the event (and marketing such coverage in advance) should be a major focus.

Direct feed, anyone?  ;D

I can throw my hat into the ring, donating my time and expertise toward helping making direct feed streams a reality at these events, if there's any interest.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »
Quote from: Dean Saglio
there will only be sixteen machines at KO5

Why was this decision made?  Is there a competition related reason to reduce the number of machines going forward or is this more of a business decision related to supply and demand of building and then selling the machines?

I believe the motivation for this decision was the fact that Richie was under a great deal of stress to get all the cabinets in working order -- both in terms of time and money. Not all the cabs at KO4 were in the best condition (though it may not have been immediately obvious, many of them did not survive later stress tests after the event -- at least one cab died during the event itself).

I can't speak for Richie, but I think the angle he wants is rather than have 24+ "good" machines, he can have 16 "great" machines.

Twelve of these machines will be reserved for DKF Top 12, Arcade platform.

In my opinion, this is repeating old mistakes that should have been learned from by now.  On a personal level I know that this will almost certainly cause me to become unqualified for the competition unless I end up taking the "online qualifier" machine

This is false. If you were bumped out of the arcade top 12, you would immediately become the #1 DKO seed with your 1.17 DKO3 score.

One cabinet will go to the #1 seed in Eric's Donkey Kong Online Open tournaments that have happened since KO4 (DKO#3 and beyond). Remove the arcade top 12 from the aggregate list and you have the #1 seed. The seeded player will get a cab even if their score was done on MAME.

I have not been following very closely how this has been handled, but all of a sudden it has become quite relavent for me so I hope that this can be further explained.  How exactly is the aggregate list calculated?  Is it simply the single highest scoring submission across all of the online competitions?

Aggregate beginning at DKO#3 (the most recent of Eric's tournaments). Again, if you were bumped out of Arcade Top 12, you would immediately be the #1 seed, and I highly doubt any contenders are going to put up a score in an online open higher than a 1.17m.

In the event you were somehow miraculously knocked out, you have an open invitation to come qualify on my cabinet -- I'm only about 1.5hr from you.

To further clarify, this means Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe currently do not qualify for cabinets at Kong Off 5.

I am likely in the minority on this, but I still feel that this is a mistake.

There is some reading in-between-the-lines that can be done here. Realistically, it is extremely likely at least one player from the current Arcade Top 12 decides not to come to the event. In that circumstance, next in line would be Corey Chambers. Assuming Corey doesn't go (and I have a hunch he wouldn't), Steve Wiebe would be next in line.

Also, if Wiebe or Billy still failed to qualify, this doesn't guarantee Richie wouldn't have them there anyway as personalities. This has been discussed as well.

Discussions are happening between Richie and Jace Hall about event broadcasting. The biggest concern is bandwidth in the convention center. I do know, however, that KO5 will be a center-stage event this time around, whereas KO4 was sort of the red-headed step-child of the event. This guarantees Richie more resources to pull off better internet exposure and live coverage.

Quote from: Tanner Fokkens
I find the "throwing out" of mame scores to be an extreme step in the wrong direction, even if it doesn't affect any current top 12 players...

I agree with you and Dean that the combined Arcade+MAME scoreboard should be used, however Richie has stated this is an Arcade-platform event. I did express there would be disappointment/resentment over the decision, which is why he said if any player would be excluded due to this rule, he would reach out to them personally and see what steps could be taken to ensure they could be included.

However, to add to this, there is not a single player that would be excluded by this rule, and I can't think of a single player who would fall out of inclusion by it either (such as Dean and Willms). Tudose has already expressed absolutely no interest in playing. The only player I can even think of who might be impacted by this by summer of 2016 is Mr. X, who based on his comments I've seen on Tim Sczerby's channel would be very hypocritical to qualify using MAME. Otherwise, I find it very difficult to believe there's a 1.1m+ capable MAME player out there we've never heard of, or there will be by summer of next year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:56:57 pm by WCopeland »