Author Topic: How to play DKjr for 1 hour record  (Read 8752 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
How to play DKjr for 1 hour record
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
I was talking with Ben Falls recently and we were wondering about the complexities of how to get the most points per hour on DKjr. In the case of DKjr, is it best to always max out the hideouts, or still just run boards? Obviously, people would probably want to risk it a lot more on the chains stage trying to get the 4-5 enemy drops with the fruit. What do George and Mark say on this issue?

Also, looks like Hank has put up a good score for the 1 hr limit for the BOTA2 tourney with 480k. Way to go Hank! Maybe he will attempt another run at improving it?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: How to play DKjr for 1 hour record
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:09:54 pm »
I was talking with Ben Falls recently and we were wondering about the complexities of how to get the most points per hour on DKjr. In the case of DKjr, is it best to always max out the hideouts, or still just run boards? Obviously, people would probably want to risk it a lot more on the chains stage trying to get the 4-5 enemy drops with the fruit. What do George and Mark say on this issue?

Also, looks like Hank has put up a good score for the 1 hr limit for the BOTA2 tourney with 480k. Way to go Hank! Maybe he will attempt another run at improving it?

Well to be honest I have never played the game to get the highest score in one hour, and so I am not 100 percent sure on that.   I would suppose it would be run all the boards except the hideout IF you can pull off Dean's trick. 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »
I see Wags has gotten a good score too in BOTA now: 544K.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »
playing this game for just an hour is really a dumb rule.

You might get to around level 10  really booking through screens..   Why is George and Mark being asked this and not my self?

I do play this at a very fast pace  with getting full points per screen

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:23:31 am »
Because I was assuming that the two best DKjr players would know the most about scoring pace per second on the hideouts (and other screens, if it matters) verses just running the boards. You have admitted before that you don't do max pressing on the hideouts just yet, so I was asking them, seeing as they do/have.

No diss to you Brian. It's just like how I would probably ask any highly technical questions about DK from Dean or Hank rather than someone who has only gotten 1.05m. But, if you feel you know the answer or have helpful insight, by all means, share your opinion. Mentioning Mark and George wasn't meant to wholly exclude others from piping in with their thoughts. :)

hchien

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:01:29 am »
I was hoping to get 500k (my one hour pace at home) but I was on my last man for a long time in that game so I started to play really conservatively.  Also I wanted to do it in 1 attempt so I wouldn't have to waste so much time on 1 game (indeed it was my first game).  I'm not sure if it's worth jumping sparks.  Wag and i ran boards.  If you just run boards you can get about 540K which works out to about 150 points per second.  It would be really simple to time a few boards with and without jumping sparks and see if you can do better than 150 points per second.

Brian 1 hour limit makes sense because there are 12 games to play in very limited time.  Also there are about 12 players per team.  If someone played Jr for 3 hours, it wouldn't leave a lot of time for your teammates to play.  In fact I'm glad I got Jr out of the way early so I could free up the machine for my teammates.  I was worried I'd have to hog the machine to get a 1 hour score.    I could probably push up my score by a rank but it doesn't make sense for me nor my team.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:28:06 am »
The 1 hour time limit is a fun variant, and actually it would be interesting to see it tracked. I tried this once months ago and got between 600 and 610k. The best way to go is to rush though the screens as fast as possible to rack up the timer bonuses while getting fruit drops where you can (quickly). There are some things a player can do to maximize points while finishing quickly. On the springboard screen, use a pattern that will get all the fruit smashes. Do your best to convert the "1200 bonus" smash with the second apple on the Hideout. Also on the Hideout, at the top apple, get at least a double smash...don't wait too long trying to get a triple. On the chain screens be efficient and take advantage of fruit smashes if they present themselves...if they don't just move on. I think these strategies work best.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:23:55 am »
Brian 1 hour limit makes sense because there are 12 games to play in very limited time.  Also there are about 12 players per team.  If someone played Jr for 3 hours, it wouldn't leave a lot of time for your teammates to play.  In fact I'm glad I got Jr out of the way early so I could free up the machine for my teammates.  I was worried I'd have to hog the machine to get a 1 hour score.    I could probably push up my score by a rank but it doesn't make sense for me nor my team.
Also keep in mind that the best players at a game when you add a 1-hour limit are almost always the same best players without the time limit.  Good players just know more about the game and can safely play faster getting more points.  The point of the tournament is to rank the players on each game; given the time constraints of the tournament you can do this faster with the 1-hour time limit.

If you're looking for the BOTA to give DKJr scores you can compare to your own, you should play a single 1-hour game, with maybe 1 or at most 2 restarts if you get a really bad start in the first 10 minutes.  That's basically how the BOTA players are playing since as Hank said it doesn't make sense to replay the game to try and improve a couple of places as it isn't a good use of the player's time or the team's available stick time on the game.  See what score you get and compare that to the BOTA scores. 
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »
This is another time i feel like i'm not good enough.. Lets talk with the other guys...   I get this alot in this Hobby  or the fact i just get ignored..

Theres what 4 guys on this fourm that have a Millon plus points on DKJR  With a Kill screen?

I can do every move in the Game but the  Dean move..  BTW  I named it that.

I don'nt see guys making videos on how to pull this move off   like the Donkey Kong Video's ....   I've  read it really easy to do...   

It's pretty sad you need to know this move to take the WR on this game...   I'm not surprized   Steve and Billy have stopped playing this since Mark's score using this move.

I guess that puts me in pretty good company right?

I was at this point for awhile there .. Theres no point in playing this anymore  without doing this Dean move?   I'm pretty sure i could do a 1,1 millon   or even a 1,2 if the perfect game happened....But 1,3  thats just not going to happen.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:07:01 pm »
Brian, you are making yourself feel left out. The question was open to anyone (hence why it is on the forum), but I was particularly most interested in the *best* point pressing techniques on the hideout versus just running through them. Since I already knew Mark and George used this technique and that you do not, does it not make most sense to ask them first? Obviously, if Dean or someone else had piped in with a reasoned explanation that would be acceptable as well. There's no reason to have a pity party about a question being very reasonably aimed at the (likely) two most qualified players (though I was sure others were qualified to answer it as well). You don't see Dean whining about not being directly asked, do you?

In the end, just answer what you think you can help out on. Over time people will notice this and give respect where it is due. Complaining about not already having enough respect isn't a better alternative imho.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:36 am »
This is another time i feel like i'm not good enough.. Lets talk with the other guys...   I get this alot in this Hobby  or the fact i just get ignored..

Theres what 4 guys on this fourm that have a Millon plus points on DKJR  With a Kill screen?

I can do every move in the Game but the  Dean move..  BTW  I named it that.

I don'nt see guys making videos on how to pull this move off   like the Donkey Kong Video's ....   I've  read it really easy to do...   

It's pretty sad you need to know this move to take the WR on this game...   I'm not surprized   Steve and Billy have stopped playing this since Mark's score using this move.

I guess that puts me in pretty good company right?

I was at this point for awhile there .. Theres no point in playing this anymore  without doing this Dean move?   I'm pretty sure i could do a 1,1 millon   or even a 1,2 if the perfect game happened....But 1,3  thats just not going to happen.

Brian, go to either A) MARP, and check out my 1,313,800 recording or B) Go to youtube, and check out one of my many Donkey Kong Junior recordings.   I use the trick for everyone to see.   Next do what I did.  PRETEND TO BE MAKING THE MOVE WHILE WATCHING THE RECORDING OF THE MOVE BEING MADE.   NEXT ACTUALLY PRACTICE THE MOVE.   It's that simple.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:27:34 am »
I basically did what Marky suggested as I've played this variant of DK Jr in the past and I would venture to say he knows as much about this game and the best way to max 1 hr's worth of points than anybody.  The joystick was not centering so I played a bit more conservatively than I normally would because I was scared of slipping down vines which happened on one death (the 2nd being my fault) and the 3rd I sacrificed spark jumping with 5 min to go, using the last man to replay the beginning of the spark board and getting as much leeching in at the top as I could before 1 hr expired.

~TY
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Online kalel

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:23 am »
My 2 cents on this subject. I did alot of practice on this for the BOTA 2. and was fortunate enough and lucky enough to put up 586 in the 1 hr.,  what i beleive it comes down to on any game you are playing  for a 1 hr limit. is figuring the best way for POINTS per MINUTE.   and i fig 10k per minute was the optimum pace for DK JR. and i agree completely with everything MARK KIEHL said . 
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:18 am »
Please repeat this process in September for us.

Sincerely,

Steve W
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:08 am »
Inless there is a new Record to get? There is'nt a new DKJR one hour record.

This was just for the Battle of the Arcades 2.