Author Topic: Donkey Kong Remixed  (Read 124972 times)

Offline jumpman

• Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Remixed
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »
 Here is the double stack.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 12:51:27 am »
This is what I experienced today when I attempted the D2K sandwich:
http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/v/41673912

I suppose there are several possibilities for what went wrong, but the prevailing theory seems to be that I just didn't have snug connections between the three boards.

So I removed D2K and just put Remix in. All is well.

I'll try the sandwich again some other time, because I'm not finished with D2K by any means and I enjoy that game as well (for what it is), but now everything is back together in the cab so I won't be messing with it for a few days at least. :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 10:00:52 am »
I heard someone else's dk2 worked with remix just fine ..

Mine will be here in a couple of days
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »
I got my remix kit today
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2016, 03:16:43 pm »
I got my remix kit today

Got mine today. After a few "oh fuck did I just bend a pin" moments", I got the chip and board in correctly. Everything is running great.  Kreygasm
Member for 9 Years Blogger

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:25 am »
Update: After re seating chips I still had a graphics issue. The image was jittery. I removed the D2k and remix pcb and image was perfect. I installed only the remix pcb and image was perfect but I couldn't get it to work with both d2k and remix. I will install the D2k kit on my back up board and be done with it. Thanks again to sock master for making the remix pcb.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2016, 10:04:42 am »
Ty for the update.  I think I will do same thing
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2016, 10:32:56 am »
Hmm, I guess the best we can say for now would be that it may work fine with D2K, but mileage may vary.

Perhaps the jitter is a power issue?  Maybe having two boards plugged simultaneously puts more stress on the power supply?

Thanks for the updates.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2016, 05:59:11 pm »
That's actually a good theory. I wonder if it would make a difference if one were to use a modern switcher, rather than the Nintendo PS?

As I've said though, I was surprised at the idea that this would even work at all, so I'm not disappointed that it doesn't always work for everyone. I'll give it another shot at some point. I wonder if people with the 4-board stacks are having better results?

It was mentioned that the Jump button can switch from Remix to D2K, then from D2K to PCB, then back to Remix. Did I hear that correctly? I was under the impression that once you switched to D2K, you were stuck.

Also John, you mentioned a Reset header on the DK PCB. I haven't pulled out my PCB yet (moving the cab is a pain), but looking at pics, I don't see it. Could you perhaps post a pic of where that header is?

I'm also curious how the heck you're able to get Free Play to work when running from the PCB ROMs, though I did notice that the green "CREDIT" text is not there at all when the PCB is set to Free Play.

The other thing I wanted to mention is my concern that somebody will dump your game from the Remix PCB and it will be MAMEd before you intend it to be. I've thought about it some more and for a few reasons I kinda like that it isn't MAMEd yet. As for you, once it's out on MAME, it can never go back, so until then you have more options and control over it. I don't know enough about your hardware setup to know whether it's even possible to dump the game, so maybe you're safe for now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:06:26 pm by ChrisP »

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
That's actually a good theory. I wonder if it would make a difference if one were to use a modern switcher, rather than the Nintendo PS?

As I've said though, I was surprised at the idea that this would even work at all, so I'm not disappointed that it doesn't always work for everyone. I'll give it another shot at some point. I wonder if people with the 4-board stacks are having better results?

It was mentioned that the Jump button can switch from Remix to D2K, then from D2K to PCB, then back to Remix. Did I hear that correctly? I was under the impression that once you switched to D2K, you were stuck.

Also John, you mentioned a Reset header on the DK PCB. I haven't pulled out my PCB yet (moving the cab is a pain), but looking at pics, I don't see it. Could you perhaps post a pic of where that header is?

I'm also curious how the heck you're able to get Free Play to work when running from the PCB ROMs, though I did notice that the green "CREDIT" text is not there at all when the PCB is set to Free Play.

The other thing I wanted to mention is my concern that somebody will dump your game from the Remix PCB and it will be MAMEd before you intend it to be. I've thought about it some more and for a few reasons I kinda like that it isn't MAMEd yet. As for you, once it's out on MAME, it can never go back, so until then you have more options and control over it. I don't know enough about your hardware setup to know whether it's even possible to dump the game, so maybe you're safe for now.

Edit: sorry messed up the quote.
I can clarify that yes, Once you get to the D2K menu you are stuck there.

I will test some voltages on my pcb with and without the remix and D2k kit to see if it is a power supply issue. That is a good idea that if you had a newer style power supply you would be able to adjust the voltage much easier than the original Nintendo ps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:27:50 pm by jumpman »
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2016, 11:00:57 pm »
I would be very interested in the results from a test like this.

I don't actually have a DK PS.  I use a modern power supply on my test bench.
I don't have a D2K board either, but I did test the concept of it's stacking functionality by stacking two Remix boards on top of each other and testing that the game switcher did switch from the top board down to the middle board.

I'm going to take a photo and post it up tomorrow.

This is almost at the level of a magic trick, actually.

The Remix board has a microcontroller on it, essentially a whole new CPU that is capable of performing sleight of hand operations onto the Z80.

I've programmed the microcontroller to monitor the Z80's data and address bus, and when the Z80 is reading certain addresses, say to check for coins... it is able to substitute new values onto the bus.  Essentially we're convincing the Z80 that something happened when it didn't, or vice versa.

It would have been too much trouble to hack in something entirely new, like a text indicator saying "FREE PLAY"... well, it would be possible, but the microcontroller would have to do an awful lot of sleight of hand to pull that off, so it simply makes the Z80 skip the credits display instead.

The really cool thing is that free play will still work no matter which version of DK ROMs you have on your PCB.

This is a big concern for me.  I was just about at the point of breaking even on the initial costs of making the boards, but I'm in the process of doing something expensive that's setting that back a bit.  (The big reveal of what and why will come in about 2 weeks, I think.  But it's for good reasons, and it'll benefit everyone who has a Remix board.)

Technically, it is possible to dump the code if someone were really determined.  A full and proper MAME emulation, though would probably be a bit of a challenge because of the nature of the dual processor interaction so I'm hoping that buys me a bit of a grace period.

But I agree, I think it's nice that you have to play the game for real, on real hardware, without save states, without tool assists or program code analysis or whatnot.  This makes is a little more special, more mystical.

And I think the hardware is cool.  There is actually a lot of untapped potential in that hardware.  The way the free-play function for DK works is just a hint of what's possible.  It's a shame I couldn't spend forever taking full advantage of it, but maybe some future revision of the board firmware will open up additional special features.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:12 am »
Here's a photo of the test point peg for adding a reset button/line to a DK PCB.

A momentary contact between that peg and ground will reset the board.  It's just like a power cycle except you don't lose memory from lack of power, so the RUG pattern simply keeps displaying whatever was still in memory (but upside down.)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »
Ha, wow, right there the whole time! Thanks.

Well I know what my second coin switch is gonna be for now...

Somebody be sure and tell  <Tim>

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »
ok installing the remix did not go very well at all ..

first I tried removing the dk2 kit without removing the pcb from the machine .. nope

Then I thought lets take a quick pic of the wiring .. pics turned out like crap !

I quickly unplugged everything I thought and tried pulling away the pcb.. I found another black cable on the back of the pcb..

got that off the pcb.

then tried pulling the pcb from the machine and then noticed the pcb was wired into the cab !

So I had to try and rewire the machine ..  I tried finding all the right wires for the right spots since my pics sucked !

I am unsure about the one on the back of the pcb .

I powered up the machine and I got the noise of start up but nothing on screen ..  I realized no neck glow coming from monitor ..

I did not get to install this remix kit .. I just wanted the game to power back up..

does anyone have detailed pics of there dk wired up? I would love to see them
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2016, 02:37:49 am »
I'm a bit miffed here Brian.

Can you take a few pics so we can see what you have?

All the connectors will only match their particular female.

As for the monitor having no glow, check the 2 pin power plug is all the way home on the block to the left under the pcb, there are two, one for marquee light and one for monitor.

As for you sound issue, trace the speaker wire from the amp to the connector(which then runs to the speaker) and give it a good shove, these are prone to failure.

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer