Author Topic: Donkey Kong Remixed  (Read 124108 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Remixed
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2015, 10:43:21 am »
I'm still running around like a chicken with it's head cut off getting every aspect of this project sorted out so there's no official way to get them yet, but the very very first boards have been built and some brave souls are on the short list to be the first adopters.  The next set of boards will be built in a couple of weeks when I get parts and I ought to be more organized for getting those into people's hands.

I can add you to a list of people for the 2nd set and I'll send you a message when I'm getting organized.

There are two flavours of the board.    DK Remix+DK Original or DK Remix+DK Deranged+DK Original.
Both add menu selectable options for things like high scores save and free play to all games.

It's going to be 80$ for DK Remix, 90$ for DK Remix/Deranged, plus whatever it's going to cost me to ship.

Deranged is like normal DK but internal difficulty does not plateau at L=05, the game keeps right on increasing in difficulty, things go faster, more than 5 fireballs will appear, etc.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »
If you have an interest list, put ChrisP down for a Remix (sans Deranged). I'm fine with being in the second round.

Also, if this is useful to you, I have a D2K installed and will definitely be attempting the D2K sandwich. Very excited that this is possible.

I'm also not beyond putting this into my Junior PCB just to see what happens. :)

Your hardware/MCU sounds very interesting, love it. And I agree that it could be a game-changer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:57:25 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »

I'm also not beyond putting this into my Junior PCB just to see what happens. :)

I'll go ahead and finally test the DK3 pcb and sling it in there as well :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Capone27

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »
I would like to be added to the list!  I have a Dk with Dk2k, Dkjr, Dk3 and a CK all in the same cab with a vector lab switcher.

So I am glad to test anything that you need

I would like to have the deluxe kit!

Thanks
Capone
Member for 8 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
Is there any way to add the Pauline version into this mix?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Capone27

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:29 pm »
Is there any way to add the Pauline version into this mix?

That would be cool!
Member for 8 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:08 am »
Thanks everybody.

Yeah, I do think the design is pretty cool.  There's one more thing that it could do - the code in the chip can be updated again in the future.   There's the inconvenience of having to mail the boards back and forth to do that, but it's an option if there is a need to change/fix/update.
Because the chip is a microcontroller, that also means new features could be added without modifying the hardware.   I'm already having thoughts of a future update that might automatically keep track of game statistics in regular Donkey Kong and display them during the "How High" screens (without having to modify DK game ROMs) but that's just an idea percolating for now.

Unfortunately, the Pauline version of DK would not be possible to add because that version requires the graphics ROMs to change rather than just changed program ROMs.

Thanks to all those willing to test it on alternate boards.   I'm curious to find out what happens.
I'm pretty sure the game would technically still run if you plugged it into DKjr or DK3, but the graphics and sounds will turn out all incorrect it'd probably look realllly mixed up... all incorrect colors and graphics tiles.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2016, 07:43:40 am »
I can't wait to get my hands on the remix pcb. I apologize if this has already been explained but I'm curious how to switch between the remix game and the original dk game.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:21 am »
The board has a service menu in which you can select which game to boot into on power up.  And also an option to enable or disable game switching.

It can simply boot up into to whichever game you select as default.
If game switching is enabled, you can also simply hold down the jump button for 4 seconds while attract mode is running (eg: not in the middle of playing a game) and it'll switch to the next game.

On the Remix+DK board it simply alternates between Remix and DK.
On the Remix+Deranged+DK board it alternates between Remix, Deranged and DK.

It even lets you boot like a normal DK first and only go into Remix after doing a game-switch.

I should post some screen shots of the service menu.  Both versions of the board have a slightly different service menu.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:58:14 am by Sock Master »

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2016, 11:47:18 am »
John sir - are this fine gem coming to mame with your approval or do you wish it to be a cab-only thing? Im urging to play the full version but atm am limited to your 2-level demo.

It would be nice with some sort of official statement on this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:48:52 am by mrvaya »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »
For the time being, it's going to be for authentic DK arcade hardware only.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:56 pm »
Ok John. Not the answer I was hoping for but an understandable one tho... Should you decide otherwise at some point you should make it easy to sent you donations. Ill be happy to donate same amount that you earn on the pcb's for this fine (and perhaps similar future) project(s). Im sure a lot of other people are willing to donate as well.
A big congratulation on the outcome of your work!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:22:41 pm by mrvaya »

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2016, 12:50:56 pm »
I would like to add that one of the reasons it is not on mame is because MAMEDEV has to approve the rom for use on the software itself.  It is not necessarily a reason beyond that, just not possible to play it at this point on mame.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:15 pm »
I would like to add that one of the reasons it is not on mame is because MAMEDEV has to approve the rom for use on the software itself.  It is not necessarily a reason beyond that, just not possible to play it at this point on mame.
Ok Tanner. Hope it will be available soon. The fuzz seems to be all about the Remix. Actually I also thinks the Deranged-version sounds very cool. Still havent seen much footage from it tho - except from Ethan streaming it for a short while after playing like nine hours of Remix  ;D ;D

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »
OMYGERD I got mine. Installing now and hope to stream some soon! :D
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger