Author Topic: Donkey Kong Remixed  (Read 124076 times)

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Remixed
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
Go sir go. Get that stream up and running!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2016, 01:10:44 am »
I would make a suggestion here:

For those who do not have DK hardware but want to play this, and/or do not want to wait until an official MAME release, mrvaya gave me an idea. Perhaps you would consider selling "personalized" versions of Remix (like the kind you made for Dean to playtest) in exchange for a donation (whatever amount you think is reasonable) that would go (more parentheses  <Pigger> ) towards development and manufacturing costs?

In other words, just do a MAME version with a name watermark, like Dean's, and sell it with the agreement that it is not to be shared.

That comes with some risks, but you could pick up a few extra bucks for the project this way.

An official MAMEdev release of Remix might take a while. I think part of the "rules" of the MAME project is not to emulate games that are still being commercially sold. There's some sort of freezeout period, not sure how long it is, but it might be years. Of course, if you hand it to them yourself, that might not apply.

I know that Jeff Kulczycki wasn't happy when D2K showed up on MAME. Personally, I doubt that he lost sales as a result, since a person who would buy a D2K board despite it being MAMEd is *necessarily* the same person who already spent many hundreds of dollars on a DK arcade machine, in spite of DK being MAMEd! Your market is arcade enthusiasts, who don't factor in MAME availability in their purchasing decisions. It's actually the safest market I can think of where free availability of a copy of something does not deter sales of the real thing. Kind of like folks who collect records. They don't care that they can download the Beatles white album on mp3 for free on BitTorrent, they want to buy a physical vinyl copy, because they're vinyl enthusiasts.

In my case, the main reason I bought a D2K in the first place is because I was able to get acquainted with it in MAME, and in so doing, decided that I liked it and wanted to own the PCB for my machine. So not only did D2K's MAMEing fail to deter me from buying it, it actually encouraged me to buy it.

Just some stuff to think about.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:03:42 am by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2016, 02:17:34 am »
Personalized copies sounds cool! Tell me how much to transfer :)

Chris - no matter what John chooses you should make an article about Remix on your well-respected Donkey Kong blog....
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Capone27

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2016, 01:37:30 pm »
Watching the Videos....  any eta on Boards?

Sorry to bug but it looks like a ton of fun!

capone
Member for 8 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2016, 03:52:37 pm »
Most of the parts have come in but I'm still waiting on some chips to arrive :(

There might be one Remix (without DK Deranged) board in this set that isn't already set aside for someone and/or I can add you to the list of people to contact when a board is available.   I am hoping to be able to build them faster in the future.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:34 pm »
so you have to order all the parts over seas?
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

http://www.twitch.tv/simpsons99
You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »
Not all of them, but if turnaround is this slow I'll start looking at different suppliers.
One of the big bottlenecks has been PayPal itself.  I couldn't use the money from the first boards sold to buy more parts until 3 weeks later so it's really been slowing me down.

The *next* set of boards won't take as long, and the one after that shorter still.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline Capone27

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »
I will wait for the next set I want the delux set!

Thanks for the offer.  Just let me know when you want paid!

Thanks again
Capone
Member for 8 Years

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:22 pm »
made my payment for my remix kit tonight ..   I should be entering the Remix Score Board Soon  :o
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:05 am »
Is there any word yet on if regular DK scores will be accepted on the DKF HSL with the Remix kit installed? Thanks.
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:33 am »
I have scores submitted to TG and DKF high score lists with the D2k kit installed. I don't see how this would be different. That is just a guess though.
I got my shipping info for the DK remix board. I will try to install it on top of the D2k daughter board and see if it all works together.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2016, 12:23:08 pm »
I have scores submitted to TG and DKF high score lists with the D2k kit installed. I don't see how this would be different. That is just a guess though.
I got my shipping info for the DK remix board. I will try to install it on top of the D2k daughter board and see if it all works together.
  I will be trying the same thing when I get mine
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2016, 04:48:41 pm »
I installed the remix pcb on the D2K pcb today. It booted to the remix menu first, I went through the prompts then it booted to the D2k menu. After the D2k menu it booted directly to the dk pcb roms, which is what I selected on the remix pcb menu. It was nice that it still shows my top 5 high scores. You are able to cycle between DK, D2K, remix, deranged by holding the jump button down for a few seconds. I'm not sure if it's related but the graphics have a slight jitter. The monitor was recently re capped including the big filter caps. I will try to reseat chips and I will plug in my back up stock dk pcb to trouble shoot. Great job on this remix project it's going to be fun.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »
Nice.  I'm glad it seems to be working with D2K.  Please do let me know of whatever issues/details that arise.  I really did have just theoretical guesses as to how make it D2K compatible as I don't have a D2K board myself.

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2016, 06:21:08 pm »
I would love to see a pic of it installed to the dk2 board
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000