Author Topic: Congratulations to Hank Chien on winning The Kong Off 4!  (Read 20264 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Congratulations to Hank Chien on winning The Kong Off 4!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:47 am »
Congrats to Hank, Jeff W., and to all the players, was a great event and a fun time.  Big thanks to Richie for putting this all together.  Glad a few were able to check out some of the streams, hopefully the quality was ok. Sound may have been annoying since there was so much noise, people talking, announcements, the live band playing nearby, etc. Forgot to look into whether or not you can save footage as I wanted to check out my Saturday stream...Periscope deletes everything within 24 hours (oops).

Until next time...
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
Kongrats Hank!!! Big Big Big!!! Also huge congrats goes out to all the players as well as Richie for putting this amazing event together.

Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:44 pm »
Kongrats Hank!  I will eat my plate of crow.  I didn't think you had a chance to beat Robbie do to his amazing play as of late and your busy schedule limiting your prep time.  I was wrong.  Anyone can go down with the format and quality of players at your level.  I am going to watch you guys Kong it out next year.  Kongrats to all the guys who played in this event as well as those who supported it in any way.  Just awesome!!!!! I'm proud to be a fellow Konger! 

The other  <Billy>
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 01:37:52 am »
Kongrats to Hank!  It was a fun and tough match until the end.  My approach to the KO4 was to play solid and limit my mistakes even if I lost some points.  I wanted to play a strategy that could translate from the high score format to the bracket format.  I took the fireball and Kong leaching on the early boards out of my game just so I wouldn't burn myself out mentally.  I was luckily able to sac three men on the 1.059 game, and then go for a higher score later in the event.  Towards the end of day 2 I saw Jeff had a game going and I decided to try and defend the first place score.  I ended late at 847k at 1.11 pace and it wore me out and it carried into the next day. 

In the bracket format I just wanted to get to level 5 without leeching and survive.  The bottom hammers were cautious and I steered barrels away.  I got out of some jams with a couple fireball jumps and even a vertical jump on a conveyor.  There were a couple barrel boards I survived being trolled by fireballs.  Those first two games I could have died multiple times, but got lucky.  I wanted to be slightly ahead in the game, with more points, and more lives.  I had that scenario in the first couple games and it worked in my favor.  Against Hank I was behind in points so I had to keep grabbing both hammers.  The fatigue really got to me in the game against Hank so I decided not to leech anything and avoid mistakes like spring deaths and kicking pies.  The first death I did a forward jump and when I went to back jump the single barrel the jump button didn't kick in and the barrel hit me.  I was really fatigued so maybe I hit it at the wrong time but it totally threw me off.  Even on the spring boards I had to close my eyes and focus extremely hard because the springs started to look blurry to me.

Going into the top 8 we all felt like it was anybody's game and we all had a pretty equal chance.  All the matches were exciting and the finals was a good back and forth battle.  In the end the randomness and my decisions didn't work out and Hank was able to stay on top.  My last 3 lives were lost on pies and rivets and Hank was able to get out of similar jams and thats what made this format interesting.

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 06:02:39 am »
Grats Hank and all of the players that made it to KO4!  Grats to those that advanced to the bracket!  Big thanks to Richie for the event and thanks to Robbie, Wes, Richie, and Eric for letting me participate on a dedicated cabinet.  I'm really grateful to be part of this community.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TeaJay

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
Congrats Hank! I finally got signed up on the forums... I'll probably be a lurker for a while.
Member for 8 Years

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 09:49:04 am »
Big Kongrats  :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Jeffw

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:53 am »
Congrats to Hank for winning the KO this year! I still have mixed feelings about the format this time. On the one hand it was a nice change and I think it was entertaining to viewers to watch head-to-head matches. On the other hand, the result of the bracket format when you only get singe attempt is going to be based heavily on randomness. I was thinking of possible ways to improve the format. One idea is to make it only the top 2 or 3 from the high score competition advance to the finals rather than top 8. This serves several purposes. Firstly, it increases the importance of the high score competition and forces players to play for one of the tops spots rather than just securing a position in the top 8 early on and then spending the rest of competition ignoring the scoreboard and doing other things like going for the WR (like what Dean did). It also would allow the finals to involve multiple games in some way since there are fewer players, like making it best 3 out of 5 in head-to-head matches for example, which reduces the effect of randomness.

As far as my own games went, I am very happy that I was able to get the top score on my last quarter drop on Saturday. I had previously been going for the WR that day which hadn't been going to well so on my last attempt I decided to just go for the number one spot. In the bracket my strategy for the start was to grab no bottom hammers until L4 but still leach donkey kong on rivets and leach the fire on 2-2. In my first match I didn't have to play very far to win since Vincent unfortunately bombed out early. In the second match against Robbie, I died first from a wild barrel on 3-1 while going for the top hammer. I noticed around L6 or L7 that I was quite a bit ahead of Robbie in pace so being behind a man I decided to switch to a strategy of periodically grabbing the bottom hammer rather than grabbing it every time. The next two deaths were rivet screwings that I don't really feel I could have played any better. By that point I was feeling pretty discouraged since I knew I had almost no chance of winning with Robbie still on his first man, and that mindset was a definitely contributing factor in the poor bottom hammer decision I made that caused my last death.

Anyway, it was a very fun event and I'm glad I was able to make it!

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Congrats Hank! I finally got signed up on the forums... I'll probably be a lurker for a while.

Welcome to DKF TeaJay!!!   I think I saw some pics on line from the KO4.  This is the place for all kinds of gaming conversations, even DK Kappa.
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer