Author Topic: DadsGlasses  (Read 21857 times)

DadsGlasses

Re: DadsGlasses
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 11:39:19 am »
My next goal is to find a Nintendo VS Unisystem upright. I need a shooter so my plan will be to install a gun and Duck Hunt & Hogans Alley!

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:52 am »
The cab is looking very nice sir!  Kreygasm
Amazing how a little work on these things can teach us so much, and make repairs less intimidating.  Great job!
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 11:42:27 am »

Thanks. Removing the joystick was a learning experience. Pieces were lost, then found, then lost, then hitting me in the forehead. The final result is that the joystick is now cleaner and functioning more smoothly!!

I was lucky enough to have Richie teach me how to clean/disassemble/reassemble a nintendo 4-way in person; I remember explicitly being told to hold one of the washers at the base of the stick or "it would fly away forever" :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
So far, I'm pretty happy with how the room is coming along. Hopefully next will be a Nintendo Vs Unisystem upright setup for Duck Hunt or Hogans Alley.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:25 am »
Awesome game room!

Someone posted on the thread I started about my cabinet that the button colors aren't right for DK, and mine are the same color as yours.  I see that Mike's arcade has replacement DK jr buttons which are the same color, and I'm assuming are what mine are (came with the cabinet).

Long story short, are you planning on replacing the buttons now that it's a DK cabinet, and if so, let me know where you found replacements as I would like to get the correct color in my cab too.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:05 am »
Awesome game room!

Someone posted on the thread I started about my cabinet that the button colors aren't right for DK, and mine are the same color as yours.  I see that Mike's arcade has replacement DK jr buttons which are the same color, and I'm assuming are what mine are (came with the cabinet).

Long story short, are you planning on replacing the buttons now that it's a DK cabinet, and if so, let me know where you found replacements as I would like to get the correct color in my cab too.

My understanding is that BLUE BLUE ORANGE is correct. Supposedly there were some variations, but most originals had BBO, which is what I have.

Here's that famous Life magazine pic. You can see Steve Sanders leaning over a DK that has Blue Blue Orange.

What are you thoughts?

DadsGlasses

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:40 am »
The more I look at it, the more that jump button in the life picture appears "yellow-ish" rather than orange.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 02:50:16 pm »
Awesome game room!

My understanding is that BLUE BLUE ORANGE is correct. Supposedly there were some variations, but most originals had BBO, which is what I have.

Here's that famous Life magazine pic. You can see Steve Sanders leaning over a DK that has Blue Blue Orange.

What are you thoughts?

Il shoot ChrisP a PM. Maybe he can shed more light on this.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 03:14:39 pm »
This pic here certainly appears to have a more "yellowish" jump button.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 05:05:22 pm »
The colors are definitely blue/blue/orange, but the shade of repros is not true to the originals.

Repros are bright blue. The stock Nintendo blue buttons are more of a navy.

Repro orange is dark; Nintendo orange is a lighter shade.

See first pic.

It's not just the colors though that are different.

Nintendo plungers extend higher over the cylinder than those of repro buttons. This gives the Nintendos a deeper "push."

On the underside, the stem-end of the plunger (the end that makes contact with the microswitch) on a repro is a tiny bit longer than the stems on an original Nintendo. This causes a problem when using repro buttons with Nintendo switches. In the second pic, on the left you see a repro button mated with a Nintendo switch, which has a black ball on the end of the lever.

On the right is a repro button mated with a non-Nintendo switch, which does NOT have the ball on the lever.

The issue is that the ball on the Nintendo switches doesn't leave enough room for the button on the repros to release! The stem is too long. The switch stays closed when you're not pressing the button.

Anyway, if you wanna be sure what's going on ("are these original buttons or not?"), the shade should tell you. Look for navy blue/light orange. Or look at the stems and the microswitches. The Nintendo ones have the little ball-end levers and mate properly with the plunger on Nintendo buttons.

There was a Kickstarter recently to recreate the original Nintendo buttons. It failed. :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1423841610/donkey-kong-orange-and-blue-pushbuttons
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:32:30 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

DadsGlasses

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 05:31:52 pm »
Thanks Chris!  Very helpful.

Sounds like repro buttons work best with repro switches and original buttons work best with original switches.

Do you know if there are any repro buttons available that correctly match the original colors?

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 05:36:31 pm »
I just edited the post and you may have missed it.

See this (failed) Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1423841610/donkey-kong-orange-and-blue-pushbuttons

You can't get original Nintendo-style buttons, in either color or design (as far as I know). This is definitely a source of angst in the collector community. ;D People aren't so concerned with the switches, but the color just isn't right. I'm at a point now where I can spot non-originals from across the room and I wince a little because I wanna see that navy blue!

I thought it was a weird idea for Mike to do a Kickstarter where the "rewards" were simply  the product. Seems like it would have been more sensible to just do an interest list on KLOV and then make them or not based on that. I haven't checked in on that, maybe he decided to make them anyway.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:38:18 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

DadsGlasses

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 05:41:34 pm »
Yes, I missed the edit on the first one.

It's funny, the blue doesn't bother me. Now it's the orange against the yellowish/orange background of the "Jump" text that is aggravating me!!

DadsGlasses

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »
So I appear to have found some original Nintendo buttons. Based on ChrisP's pics and descriptions I currently have Nintendo Switches with repro MikesArcade buttons.

I am hoping to install the original buttons so that my combination is Original buttons with original switches.

The Player1/2 buttons I'm getting have some cigarette burns, so I have to assess them in person before I decide to install them. The Jump button looks pretty good.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:23 pm »
Here's a pic of the button I'm getting that I am told is original. It's next to an installed MikesArcade button.

Look legit?