Author Topic: DadsGlasses  (Read 21854 times)

DadsGlasses

Re: DadsGlasses
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 11:35:02 am »
For reference as to Millikan's prowess with those boards, here's a FS post actually mentioning that the PCB was bulletproofed by Dick as a selling point.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=329296&highlight=millikan

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can locate him. I really appreciate it.

My son LOVES this game. I brought it home working great. Pulled the battery and gonzo. So dumb. My son asks me almost daily when I'm going to fix it.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 11:36:59 am »
So I found an old version of Logitech Video software and downloaded it onto my MacBook.

The video quality is certainly better.  I just need to adjust the camera to ensure that I capture full screen.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 11:45:32 am »
For reference as to Millikan's prowess with those boards, here's a FS post actually mentioning that the PCB was bulletproofed by Dick as a selling point.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=329296&highlight=millikan

Just sent him a PM.  Thanks!

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:42 am »
No worries.  Let us know how you make out. Pole position is one of my faves.

2 of the best PCB guys I've worked with in the past are Yellowdog on KLOV for Williams PCBs (he worked for Williams in the past) and CDJump for Bally/Midway MCR stacks.  Both were awesome to work with at very reasonable costs and are insanely knowledgeable.  CDJump actually BUILT ME an intermediate board of his own design to get my florescent flashing lights working properly on my EDOT.   Kreygasm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:16:05 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

DadsGlasses

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:47 pm »
Am I about to make a mistake????

I am considering converting my DK Jr cabinet into a DK cabinet.  I plan to replace all of the side art, instructions, bezel, marquee, etc.  I am going to paint the cabinet Red.  I love the look of the original Red DK cabinets.

Here is my thought process.  I bought the DK Jr cabinet because I really wanted a dedicated DK cabinet and this one was local and cheap.  I don't plan to sell the cabinet.  I am keeping it for myself as a playing cabinet.  I am planning to leave the DK Jr serial numbers and everything on the back.  (I am not the type of person that would ever try to resell it as an original DK cabinet for a profit.) But at the end of the day, I much prefer DK to DK Jr.  I primarily play DK.  Currently I don't even have my DK Jr pcbs installed.

Is this a bad idea?  Am I essentially ruining a good dedicated cabinet just for decorative sake?

DadsGlasses

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »
No worries.  Let us know how you make out. Pole position is one of my faves.

2 of the best PCB guys I've worked with in the past are Yellowdog on KLOV for Williams PCBs (he worked for Williams in the past) and CDJump for Bally/Midway MCR stacks.  Both were awesome to work with at very reasonable costs and are insanely knowledgeable.  CDJump actually BUILT ME an intermediate board of his own design to get my florescent flashing lights working properly on my EDOT.   Kreygasm

Unfortunately Dick is no longer taking repair work. Any other suggestions for an Atari Pole Position board repair?

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 05:27:09 am »
Not off hand.   I would try posting a thread on KLOV asking the same.  The community is usually very good about policing itself and suggesting a good repair tech.

Or you could try posting in the repair forum there, maybe it's a simple issue and a chip loosened when you were pulling the battery or something.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:36:14 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

DadsGlasses

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:03 am »
Currently stuck in a rut. Making silly mistakes at low levels and then ditching the game. I need to block out a few hours of focused play one of these days.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 06:03:55 am »
So I've decided to paint my DkJr cabinet. I'm only running a DK board inside, and so I've decided to convert the cabinet. I painted and reassembled last night. I decided to go with Red because I think DK looks best in Red. I've done this for personal reasons only. My plan is not to try and sell it as an original DK machine, just to enjoy it in my home.

The paint is done. Now I just need to change the marquee, bezel, control panel overlay, instruction cards, and side art.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 06:13:45 am »
Looks great!  That must've been quite an effort.  How long did it take?
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 06:16:56 am »
I know lots of people will think I've destroyed a good original DK Jr cabinet by painting it. For me, the reality is I'm trying to build a game room for my kids and I that we can enjoy. I'm not buying and selling games for profit. I am of course keeping the DK Jr ID plate on the back of the cabinet.

I'm excited about the conversion.

I'll post more pics when I get the artwork changed over.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 06:19:42 am »
Looks great!  That must've been quite an effort.  How long did it take?

Thanks. Just took a few hours. It's not perfect. I removed the t molding, taped off some areas, lightly hand sanded, and applied new paint. I saw another conversion online and used the same paint codes. It's Valspar Radiant Red from  Lowes. I'm excited to see how it looks with the new artwork.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 09:22:36 am »
New marquee, bezel, instructions, control panel overlay, and coin indicator added. Now just waiting for side art.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:25 am »
Looks great, keep going good sir! Nothing like a fun project that helps build equity in our functional "antiques", plus you get to learn stuff  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:30 am »
Looks great, keep going good sir! Nothing like a fun project that helps build equity in our functional "antiques", plus you get to learn stuff  Kreygasm

Thanks. Removing the joystick was a learning experience. Pieces were lost, then found, then lost, then hitting me in the forehead. The final result is that the joystick is now cleaner and functioning more smoothly!!