Author Topic: trackball accuracy and MAME  (Read 5956 times)

Offline timhett

• Awards
trackball accuracy and MAME
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:33:52 am »
This is actually a response to Hamsters question over at CAGDC  <Pigger>
First - why not ask the question here?  DKF is not limited to DK players by any means and top players on many games frequent this site and would be glad to help.  No offense intended to our friend Pigger, but his site isn't all that active...  anyway.
I'm primarily a Millipede player and enjoy my trackball games of all kinds.  I own Millipede machines but still play other games on MAME with an X-Arcade set up. 
For the most part I have few problems with the accuracy and responsiveness.  The Pedes play okay but not great, and can be improved by tweaking the trackball settings in MAME. Probably better than using a mouse however you look at it.  For Millipede I play at a relatively high level and don't like playing it in MAME at all.  For Missile Command, Super Missile Attack, Liberator, Marble Madness, etc it plays fine for me.  Sorry, I don't play much Crystal and can't really speak to that.   If you are playing at world record level you may detect some differences of course.  Also, keep in mind that that balls are different sizes - the X arcade has the 3 inch ball (midi), but Centipede plays with a 2 1/4 ball (mini) and Missile Command plays with a 4 inch ball (maxi).  So they will handle differently than the original cabs. 
Good luck!
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: trackball accuracy and MAME
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
  DKF is not limited to DK players

Well, if there is one thing I have learned from social media wisdom it's that DKF members only play DK and have never touched another arcade game in their lives. This probably includes the older players who grew up with arcades and games all over the place. The ones that accidentally played other games certainly couldn't ever play them at a high level. People know this because they just do.

Anyway, I was curious myself about what settings people have found that work well for the trackball games. Years ago I painstakingly experimented with settings for some of my favorite trackball games and was met with only frustration. I thought Millipede and Liberator was playable but Centipede not so much. Kick Man was awful. I mean you could play it, if by play you mean you could move the clown back and forth. But, when the balloons speed up and you have to move quickly, your guy just goes all over the place.

If anyone who has found "optimal" settings for trackball games would share them, it would be appreciated. :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »
I did some experiments this evening with my Millipede machine as a direct comparison.  While not exactly the same I was able to get it pretty close before I got tired of messing with it.  Maybe with a bit more tweaking would get it there but I suspect it'll never be exactly the same. 

The set up - WolfMAME 106 with x arcade trackball
track x digital speed  1
track x autocenter speed 10 (default)
track x reverse   ON
track x sensitivity 45%
track y digital speed 1
track y autocenter speed 10 (default)
track y reverse OFF
track y sensitivy 45%

<Tim>
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing

Hamster

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:01 pm »
I posted over there because I regard  <Pigger> as the authority on Trackball games .

If he says its good , as a top trackball player , then its good .

Have you tried using Analog Mame+ ?

Thanks for sharing your trackball settings . After fine tuning your settings do you like playing in MAME now ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:33:46 pm by Hamster »

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:08:05 am »
Hi Hamster,  Don't worry about <Pigger> and feel free to post all over.  Just don't forget DKF is one of the best resources out there!!
I'm not familiar with Analog MAME+    ?  what is this? 
Maybe I'll play on MAME a bit more for a submittable inp at some point, but haven't touched it since the experiments.  Since I have an actual Millipede machine there's not usually much reason to MAME it. 
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -

Hamster

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:02:32 am »
Over on  <Pigger> a member recommended Mame:Analog+ for trackball games . I haven't tried it yet .

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/u_rebelscum/

He said up to Windows XP works but hasn't tried it with windows 7/8/8.1

I'm setting up a MAME cab with trackball so I'll eventually give it all a try .