Author Topic: A thought about classic video gaming, and how it relates to other crafts.  (Read 12222 times)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Love the Mann center.  Saw a pavement reunion show and of course a steely Dan show there.  Great venue.

I'm in serious danger of falling behind Steve in the highly contested "Most Steely Dan Shows Attended" category.

Steely Dan is coming to Boston for 2 shows this summer (July 30-31) at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.

Should I spend $150, or possibly more, in order to remain competitive in this grueling event?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
fft.  Unless there's a DKF badge of Fagen's face, it's not worth the effort mate.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Don't bother adjusting your monitors, ladies and gentlemen.

This thread has been successfully hijacked.

If you wish to continue your discussion on classic video gaming, please create a new topic.   <stirpot>

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
Fagen Badge hype!  <Allen>

I've been thinking about hitting one of the Dan Boston shows. Not sure I want to pay that price tag for a show where I'm (more or less) forced to sit the whole time. BUT I've never seen them and the pav is pretty close to my office...hmmmm.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Fagen Badge hype!  <Allen>

I've been thinking about hitting one of the Dan Boston shows. Not sure I want to pay that price tag for a show where I'm (more or less) forced to sit the whole time. BUT I've never seen them and the pav is pretty close to my office...hmmmm.

The Pavilion is my favorite outdoor venue.  I used to work over on Atlantic Avenue, about 100 yards from South Station.  I could walk to a show from my office in 20-25 minutes (5 minutes via the Silver Line).

The Xfinity Center in Mansfield is a distant second.  I like the venue itself, but the parking situation is ridiculous.  I saw Phish there 4-5 years ago.  Two hours after the show ended, my rental car had inched forward almost 50 feet from its original parking spot.  I quickly learned that the $30 private lots are worth the additional expense.

If you've never seen Steely Dan, you should definitely go.

I will likely pass, but only because I've seen them 5 times already.  On each tour, the setlist is designed to please casual fans: 14-15 songs that never vary, and 4-5 slots that are filled by a handful of other selections.  They occasionally perform a lesser-known album track, but we call those "rarities" for a reason.   ;)

Bottom line:  I'm hesitant to spend $75 on the off chance that I'll get one song I haven't heard before.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
But you get Elvis Costello this time around too.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Elvis Costello AND the Imposters

I'm guessing that "impostors" is deliberately misspelled.  No idea why.

By the way, "Miracle Man" is included in my Ultimate DK Playlist.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
I've been to the Pav and GW a bunch. I like both venues. GW will always have a special place in my heart. It was the first amphitheater I went to that had a giant lawn plus Phish played a full Gamehenge set at my first show there (7/8/94)  Kreygasm

I grew up in NY so I went to Jones Beach a bunch...place kinda sucks  Kappa
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Elvis Costello AND the Imposters

In that case, I'm going to see Steely Dan AND Revolving Door of Session Musicians  :D

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
In that case, I'm going to see Steely Dan AND Revolving Door of Session Musicians  :D

Saturday, 08-01-2015 at 7:00 PM
PNC Bank Arts Center
Holmdel, NJ

At approximately 8:00 PM on that date, I plan to:
  • Close my eyes
  • Click my heels together 3 times
  • Repeat to myself, "Bad Sneakers . . . Bad Sneakers"
Just trying to help.  We'll see how much (or how little) clout I actually have.

Anyone have a pair of ruby slippers I can borrow?  Size 10 preferably?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Ha ha, some ruby sneakers.

I still refuse to look at set lists leading up to this.  Last year I saw Bad Sneakers was played 2x early in the tour out in the Northwest, then once more in Quebec and not again.  While I appreciate Fagen looking out for Ross and Vincent, what about us East coasters?   BibleThump

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I still refuse to look at set lists leading up to this.

As you already know, I have adopted a strict "look but don't tell" policy.

Last year I saw Bad Sneakers was played 2x early in the tour out in the Northwest, then once more in Quebec and not again.  While I appreciate Fagen looking out for Ross and Vincent, what about us East coasters?   BibleThump

Maybe he was trying to impress Phil instead of Vincent, but got his provinces mixed up.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
steelydanforum.com
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member