Author Topic: Lightweight MAME?  (Read 6473 times)

Zmick_tricK

Lightweight MAME?
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:29:52 am »
It sounds like an oxymoron, I know. For some odd reason, my PC has lost its ability to run both OBS and MAME simultaneously, where it wasn't a problem at all before. I can run OBS. I can run MAME. I can't run OBS and MAME.  FailFish

So, among the many workarounds I'm trying to test out is to find a lightweight version of MAME. One that works more reliably on computers with system resource issues.

Have any in mind you can suggest to me?

WCopeland

Re: Lightweight MAME?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:39:37 am »
While running OBS + MAME, do you also have Chrome running in the background?  Chrome is known to cause issues with OBS.  Also, before trying a lightweight version of MAME, I would recommend trying the new multiplatform version of OBS (I believe a test Windows version was just released).  This new OBS is much less intense on system resources.

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:01:15 am »
I've tested it with nothing else open but MAME and OBS.

I'll have to see on that new OBS.

If it doesnt work, my short term plan is to see if I can get OBS to work with Linux (I couldn't just a few weeks ago, but I heard there have been updates). My long term plan is to assemble a streaming/gaming PC that's so powerful that I should not reasonably expect to have any more issues, no matter what I choose to stream (Pinball Arcade, anyone?  <popcorn>).

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:41 pm »
This whole situation is ridiculous. All of a sudden, I'm having no problems at all. With anything. I didn't change anything and there were no updates.  I wish I could find the problem so that I don't have to just hope that things will work when I want to use them.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:30:17 pm »

Possibly a drain on CPU resources caused by some runaway process?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:37 am »
Things I do to speed things up in Windows Vista/7 (might work for Win8 but your slowish PC is probably not running it :) ):
1) Open up Services (Windows key + R, and type in 'services.msc') then Stop and Disable the Windows Update and Windows Search services.
2) Go to Remote settings in System Properties (Windows key + Pause/Break) and make sure Allow Remote Assistance is unchecked.
3) Disable anti-virus software when streaming.
4) In OBS make sure it's using the 'ultrafast' setting under Video in Advanced. Also, and I'm not sure if this is related to optimal stream speed or just quality, but apparently Twitch prefers 160kbps/stereo. I think a higher bps setting (like 320) will be easier on the CPU but it will take up more bandwidth.
5) Disable any unnecessary startup programs. (run 'msconfig', click Startup, and go down the list of programs - but be careful what you choose to disable!)

Most of these apply if you're running XP. Note the list is not complete; I'm sure there are other tricks.

It's probably worth Googling OBS for slower systems as there's a lot of settings related to the video encoding (keyframe etc) that might be useful to change.

BTW, generally it's not recommended to disable Windows Updates as in 1). So be sure occasionally to temporarily re-enable the Windows Update service and manually check for any new updates!

EDIT: For 2) disable Remote Desktop also.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:40:44 am by Hawkins »
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:46 am »
There could also just be malware on your system, but only if things generally are slower. Check out the programs Adwcleaner, Hitmanpro, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and Combofix. Try them in that order, and see if it makes a difference.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:45:35 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!!!!! There's a lot to work with here that I never thought to do, so I'll try them all and see what works.

I doubt it's malware, because I'm super-careful about that, but it is always a possibility. I've found nothing in the scans I've done so far, but you've suggested a few I haven't tried, so I'll look into them just to be on the super-super-safe side.

I made a few settings adjustments and I seem to be having much better luck. I also tried out the new version of MAME and I absolutely love it! The interface looks so clean and the games load without any funky/clunky stuff going on.

My last two streams, I was successfully able to play some CAGs, which was a huge sigh of relief. I play other games, but MAME is the heart and soul of what I do. :)