Author Topic: Official***** Kong Off 4 (July 30,31,Aug 1, 2)  (Read 59721 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Official***** Kong Off 4 (July 30,31,Aug 1, 2)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 06:09:09 pm »
Thanks Jeremate!  Kreygasm
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
The biggest problem with the wait it out approach is you lose vital bonus points doing so.  You wait to long, and it's harder to come back from.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »
One bottom hammer and you earn them all back, not a problem.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »
One bottom hammer and you earn them all back, not a problem.
That is if you do it once, but the game is 116 boards.  Being on board 75 instead of 76 is not a huge advantage.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 07:28:49 pm »
Also it's about pace.  The person ahead if he is decent at math can figure out the pace of the person behind, and adjust their pace accordingly.
The system has it's flaws.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

WCopeland

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 08:17:33 pm »
The player who is behind will always be at an advantage. If you're jumping barrels at the top, the only way you lose points is if Kong throws a wild, which is only going to be 100 points lost for every 1600 points accrued on average while at the top girder. A typical bottom hammer should earn 2500+ points. Let's say on average Kong throws two wilds while you camp the top girder. One bottom hammer will thus recover the points lost for 12 barrel boards, or 4 levels.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:19:22 pm by WCopeland »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »
Sunday will be streamed as per Richie.

Any word on a Twitch channel, time, etc.?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 12:14:14 am »
Seeing as how the contest hasn't started yet and everyone is at 0, I don't understand what the conundrum is here.

Just ban stalling tactics from the outset, and make sure everybody knows the rule. Problem solved.  :P

I mean yes, this should have been discussed with the players and worked out long ago (along with many other things), but it's not too late to work it out amongst yourselves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:16:42 am by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:45 am »
So in other words, KO4 is a side-show until Sunday, and the majority of what people will see on the stream will be a bunch of folks running boards. The big games actually worthy of world-class play will not be broadcasted.

What an disappointment  :(

The Kong Off should be about the biggest score so they should stream the first days as well.

If some freakin pinball tournament is more worthy to stream for them you know that the Kong Off is definitely on the wrong location this time  ::)

I'm not interested to watch lame running boards. You can watch this from any average DK player as well no need to include such lame stuff in a Kong Off imo. Oh well each to their own I guess...
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:28 am »
The player who is behind will always be at an advantage. If you're jumping barrels at the top, the only way you lose points is if Kong throws a wild, which is only going to be 100 points lost for every 1600 points accrued on average while at the top girder. A typical bottom hammer should earn 2500+ points. Let's say on average Kong throws two wilds while you camp the top girder. One bottom hammer will thus recover the points lost for 12 barrel boards, or 4 levels.
Ok, my bad, I was thinking standing on the ladder at the top for some strange reason.  But yeah, jumping the very top level barrels would work.
I guess the only problem with that is your opponent can do the exact same thing, so maybe it's not an advantage doing something like that.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 10:07:03 am »
A few have discussed a gentlemen's agreement to not do any stalling.  Hopefully this will hold true next weekend.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »
A few have discussed a gentlemen's agreement to not do any stalling.  Hopefully this will hold true next weekend.
<Billy> Gentlemen's agreement! I like those.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 06:09:43 am »
If there's an open power outlet I can plug my phone into, I may try to stream Fri/Sat via Periscope.

You can follow my Twitter Mike Groesbeck @mikegmi2 for a notification when the stream goes live.

Odds of this working are probably very slim due to not being able to get a decent cell signal inside the convention center.  Just trying to figure out a way to provide some coverage since it doesn't sound like anything will be streamed Fri/Sat...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:23:00 am by mikegmi2 »

konghusker

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 06:19:08 am »
What am I missing here in regards to guys wanting to run the timers down? Doesn't high score win your match on Sunday?

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 06:38:25 am »
What am I missing here in regards to guys wanting to run the timers down? Doesn't high score win your match on Sunday?

The argument is that a player that takes their time, and progresses slowly and carefully, will have an advantage over someone that finishes boards quickly...or point presses.

The faster you run through pie factory and rivet boards, the higher your chances of a 'screwing' happening (amongst other things such as making a mental error).  So the player that sits back, jumps barrels until the timer runs out on all barrel boards, and finds other ways to safely stall out their game for as long as possible and at the same time not lose too many points, could monitor his opponent and play out his game accordingly.  Given equal skill levels and play styles of 2 players, the stalling strategy could (would) be the winning strategy if you factor in the evil randomness of DK.