Author Topic: world record standards and procedures.  (Read 4938 times)

Offline kalel

• Awards
world record standards and procedures.
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »
IM still trying to break several records ( failing miserably so far LOL ) i want to eventually go for the pheonix WR. i unfortunately practiced for a long time with the wrong button configuration. the reg configuration i just cant play with ( been trying). so my question to everyone . for an example. lets say someone changed there playboard on donkey kong and the jump button was on the left side. so they could control the joystick with there left hand instead of right.   according to ken. this is within the rules.   but what i am wondering is. how do all of you feel. if someone played on a DK with the jump button on the left. and they broke the WR would you consider that legit ?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Donkey Kong Genius

Re: world record standards and procedures.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
Most people who play on mame are jumping with their left and moving controls on the right. However, perhaps allowing a modified control panel might be contrary to a level playing field. Granted that there are left handed people etc, but all have been "forced" to play the game in this manner. With left brain and right brain arguments aside, my best impression would be that it changes the way the brain interacts with the game in some way that might not be readily apparent. These are just some thoughts off the top of my mind. Original settings/configurations will always trump alterations of any kind IMO.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:32:53 pm »
if someone played on a DK with the jump button on the left. and they broke the WR would you consider that legit ?

Yes.  So long as there is no in-game effect which can be demonstrated to be possible only with, for example, the button on the left versus on the right, alteration of ergonomics should have no bearing on score legitimacy.  The matter, in this case, should fall under "player's choice".

This is different than, say, the Missile Command cursor settings, where the choice has a direct effect on game behavior.

There is a grey area here, however, which can be seen in games like Track & Field, where playing with a trackball offers an obvious advantage over playing with buttons, even though playing with a trackball doesn't directly modify game behavior.

It's in trying to avoid this grey area where the hard and fast 'everything original' rule has established footing, and original cabinet's staunchest defenders never seem to bend on this matter because they can always cite examples like Track & Field.  The truth, of course, is that 'everything original' cabinets are virtually non-existent -- leafs have been swapped for wicos, concave buttons for convex -- and so the matter itself inherently lives in the grey area and the conversation inevitably devolves into semantics.

MAME is a separate issue.  As much as you've heard the Donkey Kong discussion of keyboard versus joystick, that shouldn't ever really be a point of contention for any reasonable person.  There is nothing that can be done with the keyboard that can't be done with a joystick (regarding DK), so hook a keyboard up to an original PCB for all I care.  Comparisons between MAME and original hardware should revolve about how game behavior is different -- how faster processing speeds might change gameplay -- not how the user interface is different. 

Sentimental arguments have no place in score adjudication, and so as much as you may believe playing with 'everything original' is the best way, you cannot with any coherent logic argue it is the proper way, at least not with any all-encompassing application.

I can think of only three universal fair-play rules: one, that input devices must have one to one mapping with inputs, except for when the game's design explicitly dictates an input device serve multiple inputs; two, that game speed must not be accelerated or slowed; and three, obviously, that the game code cannot be manipulated.

I don't see how adjusting the button configuration for Phoenix violates any of the above fair-play rules, and I will upvote.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:54:26 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:12:08 pm »
I can add that there are many games that are designed with a joystick in the middle with "fire" buttons on both sides.

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:06 am »
What Chris said  Kreygasm
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »
Let's say someone got the DK record on this machine here. Would there be anyone who would object to this score?

Hamster

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:22:37 am »
Let's say someone got the DK record on this machine here. Would there be anyone who would object to this score?

Yes , the objection being he should be playing Street Fighter instead .  :)

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 11:58:46 am »
Yes , the objection being he should be playing Street Fighter instead .  :)

*BARF*
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer