Author Topic: Why CAG?  (Read 9623 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Why CAG?
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:25 am »
I want to get under the hood of the CAG (classic arcade gaming) community, which is largely represented here at DKF.

• Why do/did you choose classic arcade games? Did you grow up playing them or is it something you have just taken up in recent years?
  • Why do you prefer CAGs over modern games? Do you play modern games?
  • How long have you been playing CAGs?
  • Do you have "real-life" friends that play CAGs too? What do your non-CAG friends and your family think about it? Do they know?
  • Do you think arcades will ever make a resurgence in any significant capacity? Why/why not?
  • And lastly, if you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I don't want this to turn into a pissing match re: modern vs. classic games, or make it a dramarama-fest. It's just interesting to find out what makes everyone tick. Also, you don't have to specifically answer any or all of these questions. Feel free to generate and comment on your own.

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Why CAG?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:44 am »
I'll answer some of my own questions to get the thread underway.

Why do/did you choose classic arcade games? Did you grow up playing them or is it something you have just taken up in recent years?
Not being around in the "golden era" when all of these games were released, its more of a recent thing for me. I first discovered MAME in 03/04 and joined my first MAME gaming league.
I played off and on for a few years, with a bit of a break between 06-10 (still the odd game of Galaga or what-have-you, but not a lot more). Since then I have been involved more heavily, with no chance of ever looking back.

Why do you prefer CAGs over modern games? Do you play modern games?

I am a very competitive person at heart. I play a lot of sports, and am always striving to be good at what I do. I think CAGs are perfect for my type of personality.
CAG are a challenge, they require persistence, determination and skill (among other things) if you ever want to be good at any one game. This, I love. The games are so simple to look at and play. But so unbelieveably complex once you get down to the nitty-gritty of score competition.
I do play modern games. But in a very different, relaxed, type of way. They are my escape from the frustrations that competitve CAG brings (and boy do we all know about that!).
There is still the odd modern game where I'll compete if someone else is playing it, but its usually half-hearted and more fun.

How long have you been playing CAGs?
I sort of answered this in Q1; equating to about 10-11 years total. Maybe 6-7 fully active years.

Do you have "real-life" friends that play CAGs too? What do your non-CAG friends and your family think about it? Do they know?
I have basically no-one that I know personally that plays CAGs, other than some Aussie-Arcaders I met earlier in the year.
In all honesty, 99% of my friends don't know, or I have never discussed it with them. (It's hard to keep anything private with facebook!)
My family don't really know either.
I do find myself avoiding telling people. Not sure why. But I guess in my limited experience of speaking about it with "muggles", they do not seem to understand, which I find very frustrating. So it usually makes it easier to not talk about it. (Whats the first rule about CAG-club? ;))

And lastly, if you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
This is a hard one for me, and while most of you probably think I'd take "Galaga", I cant convince myself that it would be the right choice.
This one requires a bit more thought from me. It will be interesting to see everyone else's choice.

Something I haven't addressed, but needs a mention
Here I've just been talking about the games themselves. I've been around a while now, but the one thing that keeps bringing me back is the community. Games are games but its the community that makes them awesome. I could play candy crush competitively with you guys, if you were into that.
ROFL

Cheers mates
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:50:11 am »
1) I didn't grow playing them at all, but I started playing classic arcade games because I enjoy competition, and I enjoy video games. The reasons why I prefer competition on arcade games is because arcade games are a lot more simple games than nowadays games (not necessarily easier, obviously).

2) I personally don't prefer CAG over modern games, in general. I only play CAG for the competition (especially Donkey Kong). In general, I enjoy more playing modern games. However, it's always cool to play CAG to relax and have fun for a small amount of time.

3) Been playing CAG for 6 years

4) I don't have friends that play CAG. People my age grew up with modern gaming. They do know I play Donkey Kong, they think it's pretty awesome, but they would never play CAG as much as I do.

5) CAG will never make a resurgence. However, CAG will always be a huge part of the gaming history, and there will always be a lot of references to CAG in the future (because it was pretty much the first games ever, and well, because they are fking huge beasty games lol)

6) I would play 1-1 on Donkey Kong for the rest of my life, without a doubt. There's no need to play after 1-1, since the game only repeats itself and it's boring. Kappa
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline fruitygayspaghetti

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:58 am »
Why do/did you choose classic arcade games? Did you grow up playing them or is it something you have just taken up in recent years?

They chose me.  I went to the arcade a lot as a kid and never really stopped.

Simplicity, the fun factor is higher (IMO), they're easier to understand yet difficult to master.  I don't play modern games.

Since I was a kid.  When I got my driver's license at 16 I would seek out any CAG/pins in my area.  Competitively, for about 7 or 8 years now.  I mostly play for fun, though.

Do you have "real-life" friends that play CAGs too? What do your non-CAG friends and your family think about it? Do they know?

I have two local friends who play CAGs, one for fun, the other somewhat competitively. 

My friends and family know and think it's neat but quickly get bored when I start blabbing about the history of manufacturers, cabinet art, etc.  I don't mind.  I get bored when people yap about sports or cars or whatever so it's mutual.

And lastly, if you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Black Widow.  When you're in "the zone" it's really satisfying and it has enough random elements to completely screw you, which keeps me coming back.  It's not able to be mastered in the way we've seen Robotron mastered and marathoned.  Each game can only last so long.  (I wouldn't touch TGTS Robotron with a ten foot pole.  I'm nowhere near that skillset nor am I a masochist. Kappa )  Also, I just really like vector games.
former Super Glob (Pac-Man hardware) (German bootleg) MAME wr holder

Black Widow (MAME) - 472,650
EA - 80,800
Member for 10 Years Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

DiggingInNY

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:28 am »
•Why do/did you choose classic arcade games? Did you grow up playing them or is it something you have just taken up in recent years?

I've always been a fan of classic arcade games, though I played console games more than arcade games. I like the classics for the simplicity. Was it Nolan Bushnell that said that they are simple to pick up and tough to master?

•Why do you prefer CAGs over modern games? Do you play modern games?

I like the classics better than modern games, because the gameplay is simple to pick up, have very interesting and unusual themes, they are more challenging, and offer much higher replay value. Often times modern games (7th and 8th generation of consoles) take themselves too seriously and thus bore me. They lack the personality and lasting appeal. There are very few modern games that I can go back to after completing them.

•How long have you been playing CAGs?

I've been playing both arcade and console games for about 30 years. I've only upped my performance in the classics in the last 4 years.

•Do you have "real-life" friends that play CAGs too? What do your non-CAG friends and your family think about it? Do they know?

A few of my friends on this forum live in the same city as I do and thus we do get together every now and then for some classic gaming. My family knows about my interest in the classics and are cool with it. I do have some friends, who prefer modern games, that mock me for playing classics, because I am not with the times, but I don't give a shit. I play what I want to play.

•Do you think arcades will ever make a resurgence in any significant capacity? Why/why not?

Here in NYC and in the surrounding areas, we have 4 Barcades. While new ones are opening up here and there, it won't be mainstream, which personally I am fine with that. I prefer arcades to be a niche hobby. Nowadays, people would rather stay at home, or use their mobile device, to play the same games that could be found in the arcade. I prefer to play classic arcade games in an arcade.

•And lastly, if you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Just one? That is really tough to answer. I will have to get back to you on that one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:52:10 am by DiggingInNY »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:33 am »
I got into classic gaming competition in general because they have something new games will never have.  History!  I felt that with newer games that you could be king of the mountain this year, but in 30 years time your score could be drowned out by thousands of other scores.
So when you go after a classic gaming score you are going after a score that is the best score over a 30 year period.  That has a lot more meaning to me, than being the best of a game that is only 8 months old.
As far as classic gaming friends.  Yeah, I have them, but they were all met in the classic gaming community.  I don't have any I met outside of the community.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

lakeman421

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 11:23:07 am »
I want to get under the hood of the CAG (classic arcade gaming) community, which is largely represented here at DKF.

• Why do/did you choose classic arcade games? Did you grow up playing them or is it something you have just taken up in recent years?
    I took up CAG in 2011.  I lived near Funspot and had a couple friends going up every weekend to break the doubles record on Warlords.  I kinda tagged along and started playing what appealed to me.  I also got bored of modern games
    Since I didn't grow up around CAG a lot of these games are still new to me and thats been exciting.  I also like figuring out patterns and I feel these games have an outstanding ratio of simple yet challenging.  I still play some modern games, but not that often
    About 4 years now
  • Do you have "real-life" friends that play CAGs too? What do your non-CAG friends and your family think about it? Do they know?
    I have a few that got me into it and we still find a time to go to Funspot whenever I visit back east.  My non-CAG friends and family is supportive of anything Im passionate about.  They think its really cool I got the DK record along with some other records as well.
  • Do you think arcades will ever make a resurgence in any significant capacity? Why/why not?
    The arcade comeback is possible, but I have doubts it'll ever be as big as it was back in the early 80s.  The concept of Barcades and other angles to arcades definitely keep it going strong for sure
  • And lastly, if you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
    Anything but Popeye Kappa

I don't want this to turn into a pissing match re: modern vs. classic games, or make it a dramarama-fest. It's just interesting to find out what makes everyone tick. Also, you don't have to specifically answer any or all of these questions. Feel free to generate and comment on your own.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:27:41 am by lakeman421 »

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:58:37 am »

Grew up with them.  First video game I remember playing was Atari's Stunt Cycle at Pizza Hut with my older sister standing behind me with both of our hands on the controller.  I was standing/kneeling on a chair since I was too short for the cab.  This would have been around 1976-77 when I was about 4 years old.  I remember Space Invaders catching people's attention a couple of years later, I think at the same Pizza Hut, and I remember Pac-Man appearing along the back wall of Newberry's, a now defunct general merchandise retailer, with a couple of other games in late 1980, and Pac-Man fever gripping the nation just a few months later.

A really good arcade opened in my town in the early '80s.  It was mostly vids from the get-go, but they had 4 or 5 pins in the back corner.  It wasn't long before the pins were gone.  I was still only about 11-12 years old at the time, which meant I was too young to have my own transportation into town or a job with some spending money and autonomy.  I got into the arcade every chance I could, which wasn't nearly as much as I would have liked.  Quarters were kinda scarce.  My parents didn't want me hanging out in the arcade and got more vocal about it the more I expressed my interest in it, but occasionally my mom would give me a couple of bucks and let me hang out in there for an hour or two on Saturday morning while she shopped at Wal-Mart across the parking lot.

The bowling alley next door had an arcade of its own in the early '80s, a really great, dark room that was formerly the lounge.  I do not remember all of the games that were in there but I distinctly remember playing Ms. Pac-Man when it was new.  I don't remember seeing the inside of that room other than that one time.  Within a few years they reclaimed the lounge space and moved their games out into the main room along the back wall, next to the counter where you paid and got your shoes.  They continued to have about 12-15 games for the rest of the '80s until I graduated high school and went away to college in 1990.

For the same reasons that most other people here have expressed, but for me it goes deeper than that.  With almost no exception I have absolutely zero interest in modern video games.  As video games have evolved with better graphics and sound they have become interactive movies, and that's boring to me.  They have lost exactly those elements that made video games special in the first place.  What I loved, and still love, about old school video games is that they were like nothing else in existence.  Pixelated, low res graphics looked like nothing else that had ever come before and are still unique today.  The audio was too primitive to reproduce the sound of "real music," so it made wonderfully unique sounds that you'd never heard before and didn't hear anywhere else.  An entire subgenre of music ("chiptunes") has come from it.  In short, I loved video games when they were video games and not interactive movies with long cutscenes and lots of handholding to keep pampered little shits from rage-quitting because it's "too hard."

My interest in video game technology drops off quickly after, say, the Neo Geo era.  The sole exception I have found is with certain newer driving games.  I have a slimline PS2 I bought used from a friend back in 2008 when she bought herself a new PS3.  I'm not sure why I said yes, but I think it was because I wanted to check out the retro gaming compilations that were coming out on the PS2 at the time and I was curious about some of the newer racing/driving titles I'd seen on store shelves.  Stumbled across Need for Speed Carbon and holy shit, what an awesome game.  There is no scoring mechanism, at least in the traditional sense.  There is, however, a very tense and extremely difficult nighttime downhill canyon race that is addictive as hell.  A decent Logitech steering controller makes it doubly awesome.

The evolution of video games was and is inevitable, but nothing lasts, and video games will be no exception.  I think "video games" will be damn near unrecognizable to us in 50 years, if they still exist at all.  It may morph into something else that we can't fully envision yet.

Started around 1976 and slowly picked up steam through the golden era.  Continued to play arcade games past the crash until I went away to college in 1990, where computers and computer games like Stunts, Wolfenstein 3D, X-Wing Space Combat Simulator, Wing Commander, Lemmings, and The Incredible Machine took over my attention.  This coincided with the fighting game explosion of the early- to mid-'90s but I had zero interest in that.  Computer games were where it was at, and was where all of the interesting creativity was in game development.  From the Fall of 1990 forward I didn't give arcade games another thought, at all, until I saw a kooky movie in 2007 about two dorks obsessing over Donkey Kong.  Now I'm a dork with a 2,600-square foot house and a 30-game arcade in the basement.

"Friend" is a nebulous term, but of the people I know and interact with at least semi-regularly, almost all of them are from the CAG world.  Most are collectors like myself.  Some run in the high score circles like I do, some don't.  The person I consider my best friend loves video games, but she is mostly a console gamer and an NES specialist since she's younger and grew up more in the NES/SNES era.  She really does like CAG though, and has good taste (she likes Black Widow; how awesome is that!)  We met on the TG forums in 2008.

My other closest friend loves video games but she is very much a modern console gamer and has moved forward with each new generation.  She likes all the big FPS series and loves RPGs.  She's been losing steam in the last couple of years though, and I don't think she has gotten a PS4 or Xbox One yet.

What do people think about it?  Don't know for the most part, since I don't bother to ask.  But if the subject comes up I tell them about my hobby and most react positively and think it's neat.  I don't recall getting any negative reactions and no one has criticized me for my interests.

Do you think arcades will ever make a resurgence in any significant capacity? Why/why not?

No.  Arcade games are on life support and have been for a long time.  We had no idea at the time but the era of coin-op video games that we celebrate today was special, and as I said earlier, nothing lasts.  It will never come back purely for economic reasons.  The golden era happened because at the time video game technology was born and started to progress there was a) already a well-established arcade industry that had been around for decades and revolved around pinball and electromechanical (EM) games, so coin-op video games were the next logical step, and b) no established home video game industry at all and the economics of the electronics didn't yet support microprocessor-based consoles with enough power to rival dedicated coin-op hardware that brought in millions and then billions of dollars in quarters.  Over time, the tortoise (console) surpassed the hare (coin-op) and won the race.  In fact, the hare still hasn't finished the race and is clinging to the idea that the tortoise is still behind him and he has all the time in the world.

For a long time now -- and this only gets more and more true as time passes -- it simply makes more sense to make a standard, powerful console -- a supercomputer, really -- that can play programmed games that are sold very cheaply, and by that I mean it costs virtually nothing to stamp out millions and millions of CDs or sell digital downloads, compared to manufacturing and shipping a 6-foot tall, 300-pound cabinet that play a single game that people will get tired of within months.  Inflation of the dollar over time and the higher cost of real estate and utilities means arcades were a short-term phenomenon.  It took only a few years before the economics of producing video games that way no longer made sense.  It's hard to admit, but the coin-op video game industry was never sustainable.  That is why modern arcades are full of redemption games and video games are very much a home activity and, increasingly, mobile on cell phones.

I'm not sure I can answer that.  It changes over time.  Here are some potential candidates though: Arabian, Black Widow, Berzerk, Pole Position, X-Wing Space Combat Simulator (with a proper flight stick).  These games seem endlessly replayable to me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:50:21 pm by SanTe »
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:58:13 am »

When I was 7, I dropped my first token into an arcade machine in 1983, it was Venture played at the Aladdin's Castle at the local mall.  I thought the cabinet was awesome, huge and scary with snakes on the side art and the covered hood effect in the inner part of the cabinet.  Later on that day while my mom shopped in the department store I would go under the clothing racks pretending they were the various rooms in the game.  (Now I guess kids can just play Minecraft instead on their mom's smartphone)  <YSG> 

They were also a way to pass the time at the supermarket as pretty much every place my mom needed to go that I had to tag along to, had a game or two.  Dry cleaners, convenience store, hotels, everywhere, you didn't need to just hit the mall arcade.  My favorite games at the time were Alpine Ski, Zoo Keeper, Elevator Action, Jungle Hunt, Q*Bert, Rally-X and Berzerk.  In the mid 80's, the golden era games started getting converted more and more but at the time, I didn't miss Joust or Defender, I just wanted to see what new games came into the arcade even if they were kits of Super Dodge Ball, Pac-Land, Gladiator and Karnov, I didn't really care. 

The next wave of Sega games really blew me away, Outrun and Space Harrier I thought were pretty incredible when they arrived, especially Space Harrier which had gameplay that was very unique at the time with very impressive graphics and sound.  In the late 80's, my brother stopped playing, although I would still go to the arcade every once in awhile by myself.  I don't remember anything noteworthy after that until I saw Street Fighter 2 at a casino arcade.  I had enjoyed SF1 more than most as the pizza place near me had the crazy cab with the large pneumatic buttons that got fkd up quickly. 

It was Mortal Kombat 2 though that got me back into gaming, however.  My buddy Jeff was now working at the mall arcade and he would open the gate early so we could play MK2 every Saturday.  I'd basically play it from open until about dinner time.  The lines were massive, I hadn't seen anything like it since Dragon's Lair came out.  We faired well in local tourneys and would venture down to the more populated boardwalk arcades to hustle MK2 on Friday nights.  That went well for a few months until we got hustled ourselves and decided it was in our best interest to play for fun at that point.  We still play it today and have some great heads up matches at the local arcade whenever we get a chance to meet up, though I only beat him about 25% of the time nowadays (we always use random character select), he still plays pretty competitively. 

After that scene died out I pretty much stopped going to the arcade and it closed down in the early 2000's.  I saw an ad for King of Kong playing at a local indie movie theater a few years later and convinced the wife to accompany me.  While we were watching I was pretty amazed that people still played Pac-Man, Galaga, DK and all the games I enjoyed growing up and were still competing on them.  Even though I hadn't touched a classic era game in years, I figured it wouldn't take long to get back on the horse.  My wife got me a trip to Funspot for my birthday soon after and it happened to be during  <Mruczek> 's week of fun in November.  I met Dave Nelson, Jason Cram, Donald and others there for the first time.  I also think I met Ben and Vic even though I didn't know it at the time lol.  Everyone was super friendly to me and Dave took a score down for me for TG, a 6th place score on Berzerk slow bullets lo.  I tell Robert all the time that if he, Dave and others hadn't have been so nice, I likely would have never progressed past visiting Funspot that time.  Pretty neat how it worked out.  I didn't even know MAME existed until a year or so after I made it up to Funspot in 2009.

I think as a society we are always trying to find things that make us happy, most people would agree that would mean being young again I think.  Which I think are the same reasons I watch baseball, listen to certain music and play certain games, it creates a nostalgic moment in time of my youth where the only worry you had was if so and so was around to play catch that day or go to the arcade, come over and play NES, etc.  I imagine 20 years from now people will feel the same with CoD and other modern games of the current period.  Case in point, I went to a 90's party recently and it made me feel old, but to them, that was their 80's, just like Ocarina of Time is someone's Legend of Zelda NES. 

That being said, I play modern games every so often.  I own a Wii and very much enjoyed Twilight Princess, Zack and Wiki and Resident Evil 4.   

See Above

Yes but mostly as a casual thing.  My brother likes to bring his kids over to play my arcade cabinets because it's a cheap day out for them and they enjoy Ms. Pac and Star Wars.  My co-workers are interested in how I do in tourneys as I have some Funspot posters up in my office as well as my Berzerk certificate from Walter.  One time at a large departmental meeting one of the VP's asked if anyone had ever edited a Wikipedia listing and I said that I was going to because they had my hometown city incorrect but that I never got around to it.  That got them interested in my progress I suppose.  My wife plays a decent amount especially if we go to Funspot.  She is a good Zoo Keeper player (over 1m) and Bubble Bobble player (over 2m), lately she's into the Dr. Mario though.  She'll get on kicks and then quit for extended periods of time then get back into it, etc.

I don't think anyone in my friends or family think it's weird, seems to be the opposite they are usually intrigued and usually asked questions about kill screens and what happens with certain games. 

They already have big time in my neck of the woods.  I have about a half dozen arcades/barcades within 2 hours of driving distance from my home.  People my age are now entrepreneurs and they have the same affinity for classic gaming that I do so I think you're seeing those folks turn that love into a business if possible.  Most will need to also have a bar I think to be able to survive although one arcade near me does not and seems to do well with mixing cabs and pins with a bunch of flatscreens and modern consoles for the younger generation. 

Elevator Action.  I think it is a perfect blend of strategy, action, reaction time, planning and randomness.  There are a variety of ways to play it and play it well so it's neat to see different styles being used.  I think it's pretty similar to DK in that way, go for a huge game and take big risks or play it a bit safer and have that consistent scoring range.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:00:49 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:41:54 am »
This is a fun topic  <Allen>
My first arcade memories was playing Tempest and Space Duel in the local arcade when they were still new.  It was a tiny arcade in a strip mall half a block from the house, he had a coin shop up front and took the quarters in the back of his shop.   That must've been around 1981-82 or thereabouts.  I grew up in a relatively small town and there was only one "real" arcade,  but in the 80s there were cabs all over the place.  When I think back to those days it's the pizza parlors, grocery stores, etc that I think of with the cool machines.  One local store had maybe 10 machines lined up and they rotated them out, some of the titles would now be considered rare (I,Robot for example).  As I entered my teens, the arcades closed, my interests changed and the machines that were still out there were mostly fighting games, which I wasn't into.  So I moved on until about 2003 or so.  At that time a friend of mine introduced me to MAME.  This was a huge revelation and was literally a childhood dream come true.  An entire arcade in one machine, with infinite quarters!   Kreygasm  We built my friend a MAME cab and I'd hang out at his studio and play every Friday and whenever else.  After I moved out of that building I got a HotRod joystick and played sometimes at home, but nothing very serious.  Then I finally saw King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts about 2010 or so.  What a revelation to know that people still played the games and took them seriously.  So I started playing more, mostly DK until I fell in love with Millipede and got my first cab.  I entered my first tournament in 2013, where I met Steve Wagner, who has been so welcoming and awesome and has introduced me to so many people.  Now, classic gaming is my primary hobby and social connection.
Though theoretically open to new games, I basically never play any of them.  I like classics because (as others have said) they are easy to learn and hard to master.  4 way joystick, easy to figure out.  An array of buttons and joysticks, not so much.  I also like the creativity and stress on gameplay rather than graphics and such.  Take Anteater - seems like a ridiculous idea, but they made a super fun game out of it.  It's also nice that there is little to no actual killing or bloodshed in most of the games, so they really can be family friendly.  My favorite time period would be from 1979-1986 or so.
Been playing them since they came out basically, as described above.
Most of my non-CAG friends think it's a little strange, but pretty cool at the same time.  That said, I have little free time and nowadays most of my friends are in the CAG community.  My wife enjoys the games also, but only plays casually.  We are able to have fun going to arcades together.
I think that the resurgence is pretty much here already, as much as it will be.  I agree that they will  mostly have to be supported via beer sales or other things.  Even Funspot struggles and is really kept afloat by the redemption games downstairs and Bingo.  At the same time, NJ is very close to me and there are several great arcades that seem to be thriving.
If I could only have one game and I wasn't allowed a MAME cab Kappa then I guess I'd go with Millipede since it's my favorite game.  It's really not fair though, sometimes it's too intense for a casual, relaxed game. 
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:00:56 pm »

I grew up playing them but was too young/broke to really get into them. As a teenager, once I had the means to drive myself around and $$ to blow, I became extremely involved in the "great fighting game boom of the mid-90s". Spent most of my fridays/weekends, at local arcades playing street fighter/capcom/MK related fighters. I'm still ok with the capcom stuff but kinda suck at MK now. Got housed in a MK2 work tourney after telling co-workers I actually worked on the Sega Saturn and PS1 ports...that was fun  FailFish.

New games are pretty boring...same shit over and over. I got my fill of FPS shooters during the Doom/Quake/Half-life days. Seems most of the new games are some type of FPS lately. I used to love MMOs. I've played everyone since UO but again, it got repetitive. Guild Wars 2 held me for about a month.

I still play something new on occasion. Mostly 1st party nintendo stuff.

I really got back into them about 2 years ago when the IT guys made a mame cab for the office. The first office tourney was DK. It had always been one of my favorites but I never sunk enough time into it to get decent. I ended up winning the tourney then continued casually playing on Wii Mame for a few months after. The work tourneys continued. I kept winning most of them with a little practice at home. It was around that time I decided I needed a cab. Wanted a DK but got talked into a 60-1. After a few months with the 60-1, a DK popped up on CL. Talked the buyer down to a good price and the rest is history. I've probably started playing DK "seriously" when I joined this forum last April or so.

A lot of my friends are game devs or work in the game industry in some capacity. They think it's crazy that I choose to play DK for 1-2 hours a night instead of Destiny or whatever else is the "hot" game at the moment. I've been getting more into pinball lately. They seem more into that...mainly since it usually involves finding some dive bar with a pinball machine then getting drunk.

Do you think arcades will ever make a resurgence in any significant capacity? Why/why not?

Fuck I hope so. I wish there was a Barcade near me.

60-1, because 60-1!  Kappa
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:05:39 pm »

Growing up in the 70s/80s arcades were what saved me during shopping trips.  I now have the ability to fall asleep pretty much anywhere but I didn't when I was a kid so before arcades I was bored to death when I was dragged along to the mall.

I work in the games industry so I play a tonne of modern games but mostly for work.  I prefer CAGs for relaxing play because it feels like returning to my youth.  The key is that it's not just the games themselves that bring that feeling back but being in front of a cabinet with real ball top sticks and physical buttons.  I do most of my gaming via MAME but I do it in an old shitty jamma cab with real controls.

I played my first game when I was 7-8 and played up until high school.  I got back into them when I discovered Mame in the late 90s and got deeper in with the big KoK push.

Yes.  CAGs are socially acceptable in the circles I run with.  With that said I would not introduce any of my friends to  <Pigger> :)

Never.  What you have right now is peak resurgence.  Barcades are great so enjoy them.  You're not getting any better than what you've got right now.

Really hard question.  I want to say Centipede because I suck bad at it and want to improve.  Luckily we don't have to really choose.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

DiggingInNY

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »

If it's a modern game, I will have to go with Skyrim, because of its open world gameplay and I am a fanatic of RPGs. For classic games, I would go with any Lunar game. I enjoy it for its characters and storylines and it's something I like to go back to every now and then.

Also on a side note, I got into reviewing Neo Geo arcade games on YouTube. I started it as an extra hobby a few months ago. My user name is NeoTurboManiac 78. Check it out. So far I have done 20 reviews, with more to come. I have over 40 games for the system, so I can only review what I have.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:03:53 pm by DiggingInNY »

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 04:26:37 am »
Firstly, thanks a ton for the replies so far guys. Its really interesting learning about your backgrounds, I hope everyone else feels the same!

I've had a think about this....
If you had to choose just ONE (1) game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I would take a Berzerk - fast bullets of course. While not an obvious choice for me, the game is perfect. Fast, fun, super challenging and one that would take a while to learn and get good at.

Close contender: Gravitar - Another extremely hard game that provides a plethora of entertainment and variability.

I hope others can find the time to reply to this thread.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:47:21 am by Barra »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:48:24 am »

I took a serious interest in CAG in February 2013. In the months leading up to that time I was playing Pac-Man Championship DX on the PS3 pretty heavily and had been having regular conversations with Ethan Daniels. He had been updating me on his DK progress and convinced me to give it a try. I started playing DK in March 2013, joined the forum, and here we are.

I wouldn't say I prefer any type of game over another. CAG has really rounded out my overall library of games I love to play. There are worthwhile challenges and beauty to be found across the entire existence of video games. If I want a simple but tough challenge then I might opt to play a CAG or CAG-inspired modern game (Pac-MAN CE DX, Geometry Wars). If I want an immersive experience I might go for a well-made, modern RPG. If I just want to zone out but still be entertained then I might play something like LittleBigPlanet or Katamari Damacy. If I'm feeling nostalgic I'll play an older RPG or Genesis game.

Despite growing up in a small town, there were arcade and pinball machines in a Pizza Hut (Rampage, Frogger, cocktail Pac-Man), another local pizza place (Joust <thefinger>, some pinballs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and an Aero Fighters-type game I can't remember the name of), a burger joint (environmental Discs of Tron), and a laundromat (Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga). The local pizza and burger place had dedicated rooms for the machines and there were certainly more machines in both places than I can remember now. I played Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga most often as those were in the laundromat. The burger place eventually closed and I don't know what happened to those machines. The local pizza place is still there, but doesn't have any games of any kind. So, I would I say occasionally played CAGs from about 1988-1998 and then again starting in 2013.

Aside from people I've met in this hobby, no. I do have friends that are gamers and have a lot of love for retro consoles, but when it comes to CAG there is no one I know who plays them. Last year I told one of my closest friends I was going to KO3 and he was actually aware of King of Kong and asked if "those two guys were still the best." I have family who remember and have favorite CAGs like Centipede and Asteroids Deluxe, but by-and-large they don't really care.

The machines are finite and growing older so I don't think CAGs will ever be huge again. Most of the US arcades I've been in are mostly redemption games, dance games, and light gun games. I've seen older games tucked away in movie theaters and hotels, but those are usually Neo Geo cabs that date back to 1995. It's been interesting living in Japan and seeing many large arcades, but even then the games are relatively new. There is no money in old games, so they can only be propped up by collectors, enthusiasts, and the score chasers.

I really don't know. I want to say Pac-Man CE DX, but eventually there will be nowhere left to go with that game and the fun is in the challenge of figuring out a faster, better way to play. Games like Final Fantasy 12, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Shadow of the Colossus also come to mind...
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer