Author Topic: Why are TG MAME different than TG Arcade settings?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Why are TG MAME different than TG Arcade settings?
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:49 am »
There have been two games with difficulty settings I have taken seriously.  Donkey Kong 3, and as of late Arm Wrestling.
Here is my problem with both games.  They both have different MAME, and Arcade settings.
For DK3 Arcade the settings would be what would be considered hard MAME settings.  For MAME the settings are on medium.
Arm Wrestling it's the reverse.  The arcade settings are on easy default settings.  The MAME settings are on medium settings.
So it seems to me the settings are all over the place.  Did the original person get lazy, and list all MAME settings as medium?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Why are TG MAME different than TG Arcade settings?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:28:06 pm »
Don't know why mame settings are medium. The default in mame is easy, like the arcade.
I'd be willing to bet that some of the TG mame scores were done on default difficulty
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:01 pm »
Don't know why mame settings are medium. The default in mame is easy, like the arcade.
I'd be willing to bet that some of the TG mame scores were done on default difficulty
Of course.  Any time TG settings are harder than defaults I just assume the actual settings were "unknown".

-KGTM
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:26:28 am »
TG settings are all over the shop.  One of the reasons I was told was because of TG sanctioned tournaments, game settings were altered for lots of games to make them harder so that games wouldn't go as long and to find players with the highest skill. 

There are countless games on the TG database where I would very much doubt all scores were achieved on the one setting.  It would upset everyone and no doubt get me death threats, but the only true answer would be scrap any score where there is no proof (most Arcade scores I'd imagine and video footage would be gone by now) that the game was played on the default settings of the board.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01:07 pm »
John are you saying scrap all the live scores with no video proof?
Well people like you make me happy I actually video taped my live scores.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener