Author Topic: Minimum wage for classic gaming scores?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Minimum wage for classic gaming scores?
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:40 am »
As we all know.  Going after classic gaming scores is a passion.  Most gamers will spend way more money than what they get back in return.
Let's say this wasn't the case, and you could get minimum wage to go after classic gaming scores.  I would in a heartbeat.  A lot of you though have decent paying jobs, and so going this route would be a sacrifice.  But it would be a job you probably would enjoy. 
So hypothetically would you do it?  There are some obvious no answers. I can't imagine Hank Chien giving up his plastic surgery career to do that.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
Re: Minimum wage for classic gaming scores?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:09 am »
I don't think i could buy (and restore) cabs on min wage. I'd do it as a weekend job  Kappa

I work in mobile game dev so my job isn't terrible (except the commute). It gets stressful from time to time but it's less stressful then past jobs I've had.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:17:46 am »
It would eventually turn into "work".   I've honestly never been one to mix hobby and free time with career, when you blur those two and place demand on something you enjoy as a hobby, I think it starts to become far less enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:20:07 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:19:20 am »
Seems like a great thing on the surface but I agree it would quickly turn into a crummy job.  And imagine all the wrist/hand pain from playing 40 hrs every week.  Kappa.
Better would be a related field maybe like repairing pinball machines or vids, or running an arcade or something like that.  Working with games and around games, but not being forced to play them all the time.  Even game design could be cool but there could be a lot of (forced) play time that could turn into a drag... 
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:18:07 am »
When I first started seriously trying to win StarCraft tournaments, that's the perspective I used to justify the amount of time I'd spend studying opponents and practicing openings against their playstyles. It did eventually turn into "work" and caused me to subsequently hate the game.

I do stand by the belief that if a lot of people were paid to play a game such as DK, especially in a Korean-style training environment, the needed score to hit the top 10 would increase dramatically.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:20:23 am by WCopeland »

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:25 pm »
Part-time, maybe. Certainly wouldn't give up the solid salary, job security, benefits, bonuses, etc. that come with the office gig.  I usually migrate away from a game when it becomes more like work than fun, so I agree with what others have said above to some extent.  I also wonder how it would impact the social side of the hobby, which is definitely a part of why a lot of us enjoy it. 
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:53:19 pm »
So many people tried to do the same thing with poker back when the poker craze exploded.

"How cool would it be to play poker for a living!!!  It would be wild!!"

Everyone that I know who tried to play cards as their main income ended up hating it because it became not just a job, but a crappy job.  If there's something you have to do to pay the bills it will lose some of its luster no matter what it is.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer