Author Topic: other games need the dk treatment  (Read 8743 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
other games need the dk treatment
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:54:34 am »
Ok, I got to say it, while I love the donkey Kong competitions in all their various forms it's time to do this with another game.  I really don't care what game it is.  You name it than great.  Galaga, centipede, whatever.  Just something else.  Yes we had a mario
bros.  Comp but that was limited to three people.  I want something where everyone and their grandma can stream.  At this point I'd rather see a king and balloon competition than another dk competition.

P.s.  I do though really love the dk comps and feel they are great for the classic gaming community.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:06:39 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: other games need the dk treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:28 am »
there are reasons why dk is as popular as it is. its not by accident. you cant just pick a game out of thin air and expect people to play it AND like it lol

the igby was perfect for those that wanted to compete on other titles alongside dk. retro uprising hosted a 5-week competition between 6 different gaming sites/forums(over 125 people entered). 24 total classic games. im pretty sure theyre going to do another one. single player this time...
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:43 am »
I understand what you mean. I would also enjoy if there would be a competition like the kong off but with another game (even a game I'm not good at). However, it won't happen.

No other game has the same popularity as Donkey Kong nowadays, and no other game has a general popularity like Donkey Kong (mainly because of KoK, obviously). The next game I COULD see grabbing mainstream attention would be Nibbler, with the upcoming Man vs. Snake. But no game will ever be on the same level as Donkey Kong. KoK, and post king of kong was just perfect, nothing will ever be like that unfortunately.

Donkey Kong junior could be a good game too... or Pac-Man (it would be extremely boring to watch though). Mario Bros would be a good one, and also vs super mario bros for points.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:09 am »
oh, no I didn't say as popular.  I agree, that won't happen.   I don't even want a kong off.  I want to see an online open.
Now that I can see happening.  A good one would probably a robotron off.  California extreme had something like that last year, and it was popular.

Do a tgts weekend open and it would be an event.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:47 am »
Robotron 5 men setting would be a pretty good one: Short games, awesome to watch.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:35:01 am »
Well, that's the problem with asking on the Donkey Kong Forum for people to play a different game than Donkey Kong. The one game here that every one has in common is DK. Sure, everyone loves their other games, but what is the second most "in common" non-DK game that would do it? I like missile command and Defender. That may spark 2 or 3. Just don't see another game grabbing the attention of as many as DK does for a tournament.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:27 am »
If you give people two months advance warning with cash prizes like the dk open you would be surprised at how many good players would come out of the woodwork.  Robotron has the potential to way more popular than it is now.  How do I know this?
By watching expert players play.  The players are way more intense with the game than any game I have ever witnessed.  It's viewer gold just for the reactions.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

lakeman421

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:22 am »
Crazy Kong Online Open needs to happen at some point.  I know its similar to DK, but its still really awesome to think about.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:40 am »
Crazy Kong Online Open needs to happen at some point.  I know its similar to DK, but its still really awesome to think about.
Agreed, and you could see Phil, and Sczerby work their magic. I'd love to see it!

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

WCopeland

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »
I like missile command and Defender.

I'm all for a Defender Online Open Kappa

DiggingInNY

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 06:31:15 pm »
To play the role of the bad guy here, you guys have milked Donkey Kong to death. It can't be another game in the series or Crazy Kong. I have a suggestion, but it will vilify me further. It rhymes with crappy. My other choice would be Lady Bug, but I don't know how common Lady Bug cabinets are.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
Yeah, the Month of Mappy was fun. Thanks to Ken for the Mappy flyer/collage prize he sent me, awesome stuff
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
Is Arabian point-pressable?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 07:00:07 am »
To play the role of the bad guy here, you guys have milked Donkey Kong to death. It can't be another game in the series or Crazy Kong. I have a suggestion, but it will vilify me further. It rhymes with crappy. My other choice would be Lady Bug, but I don't know how common Lady Bug cabinets are.

Yeah, I knew that would come along sooner or later. That is this being the Donkey Kong Forum, which seperated from the CAG forum, became so popular that this will eventually become a CAG forum. But, I knew it would be a matter of time before someone would tell people on the Donkey Kong Forum, "can we do something different than DK it's been played out." But, that was the whole reason for seperating out. It's cool either way, I know there are many CAG fans on this forum that would love to see other games and events. But for the hardcore DK player, they don't want to see future accomplishments overlooked. I'm in the top ten, but can easily get knocked out. I still have goals to meet in DK, I'm still not sick of the competition or even playing it in general.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Agreed, and you could see Phil, and Sczerby work their magic. I'd love to see it!

Kreygasm

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger