Author Topic: Arcade games that look easier, and harder to play  (Read 3151 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Arcade games that look easier, and harder to play
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
Certain arcade games for whatever reason look a lot easier to play then they actually are.  For instance when I got into this hobby it was after watching Steve Wiebe go after the record on G4.  My thought was "That really doesn't look that hard".  Come to find out after giving the game a go or two thousand it's much harder to play than it looks.   I think the same is probably true with DKJr, and DK3 as well.

On the other side of the coin though there are games that look much harder to play than they look.  Ironically I think Crazy Kong is on that list despite being a hack of Donkey Kong.  The holes in the girders, and the crazy way the elevator stage is laid out makes it look much harder than it actually is.  Moon Patrol might be another looks much harder than it is game.  This is mainly because to the exploding bombs that don't actually kill your car when they hit the ground.  Though it's still a tough game, make no mistake about it.

So how about?  What games look harder, or easier than they actually are?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Re: Arcade games that look easier, and harder to play
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »
You ever seen the average Joe off the street play Moon Patrol?  They're abysmal at it.  Scores of 10k are common.  The ones that stick it out eventually hit the wall at 75k max.  Just like the 90% of the general population who will never get past the 3rd elevators on DK these same people will never get past the rolling boulders on the championship course.  Hell, most will never complete the beginner course.  I think it's easy for us to forget just how bad at these old arcade games most people really are.

Robotron looks harder than it is.  Yes, it takes practice.   No, it isn't that hard if you devote some time to it.  I'm talking about default settings.

Mad Planets is harder than it looks.  Sinistar is exactly as f*ck you-hard as it looks.

I think Gravitar may be an example of a game that is actually easier than it looks, based on what I've seen from other players who were able to get decent at it after some practice.   Hard for me to say since I'm terrible at it and don't like it enough to put any time into it.

I think the Pac games are generally harder than they look.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
I think expert players on any given title can make it look easier than it is.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »
I've never played Crazy Kong, but I did killscreen Monkey Donkey on my first attempt (to spite Brian, who was bragging a ton about Killscreening it) without knowing anything too specific about the game before hand. KS'd on my 2nd man; and the only reason I lost a man was because I used it to test if something was the case on the first conveyor stage (If I recall correctly). So, knowing I had DK skills going into it, I think it's clear that certain versions of DK a lot easier to KS, but going for max points is a whole other story. CK may be easier to KS, but games can always be pushed to a level where they become hard. It's only the games where even the best strategies are just mindless repetition (or something of that nature) where I'd say they are "easy" games.

Like BurgerTime. I would say BurgerTime is a very easy game, even at top play.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer