Author Topic: Cryptographic Challege  (Read 3321 times)

Online Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
Cryptographic Challege
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

I have taken the titles of ten well-known golden era arcade games and coded them using a one-for-one substitution cipher, that is each letter of the alphabet has been replaced by another letter, the same substitution used for all titles.

The task of breaking the code would be trivially simple if the titles were each shown in their coded form separately, so in order to pose a real challenge I have strung them together so you don't know where one stops and another starts - for the titles or for the words in any titles that contain more than one.

The titles are:

KUYLMTUEUHCVVIYCAMECXRGCKFPMEIPDTCKUMYQCEUXDBIXZXMTIZZEUZUYEUXZXIBBUXTSIUYMV

For those inexperienced in such matters, I would suggest looking for patterns in the letters given that might suggest titles of well-known golden era arcade games, looking at the titles of well-known arcade games that might suggest patterns to look for in the letters, and go from there. Also, the frequency distribution of letters is usually a big clue in breaking substitution ciphers if you know what language the encrypted text is in.

For the first person to break the code and translate the letters who does not already have one, I have a shirt:

If you already have one, you can PM me your answer and I will credit you in the thread. If you need XL or XXL there will be at least a week delay befoe I can send.
Member for 10 Years

Offline gstrain

• Awards
Re: Cryptographic Challege
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »

I have taken the titles of ten well-known golden era arcade games and coded them using a one-for-one substitution cipher, that is each letter of the alphabet has been replaced by another letter, the same substitution used for all titles.

The task of breaking the code would be trivially simple if the titles were each shown in their coded form separately, so in order to pose a real challenge I have strung them together so you don't know where one stops and another starts - for the titles or for the words in any titles that contain more than one.

The titles are:

KUYLMTUEUHCVVIYCAMECXRGCKFPMEIPDTCKUMYQCEUXDBIXZXMTIZZEUZUYEUXZXIBBUXTSIUYMV

For those inexperienced in such matters, I would suggest looking for patterns in the letters given that might suggest titles of well-known golden era arcade games, looking at the titles of well-known arcade games that might suggest patterns to look for in the letters, and go from there. Also, the frequency distribution of letters is usually a big clue in breaking substitution ciphers if you know what language the encrypted text is in.

For the first person to break the code and translate the letters who does not already have one, I have a shirt:

If you already have one, you can PM me your answer and I will credit you in the thread. If you need XL or XXL there will be at least a week delay befoe I can send.

Centipede
Zaxxon
Amidar
Black Widow
Space Invaders
Gorf
Ripoff
Defender
Frogger
Phoenix

Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Online Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »
Centipede
Zaxxon
Amidar
Black Widow
Space Invaders
Gorf
Ripoff
Defender
Frogger
Phoenix

Correct. PM me your address and size.

For everyone else, don't feel too bad. George is a bit of a curve-breaker on this sort of thing. At least he's out of the way now.

Member for 10 Years

Offline DaLar

• __________________________________________________
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:47 pm »
Mannn, it took a lot of eye-pain to solve this, yet too slow....

(CENTIPEDE-ZAXXON-AMIDAR-BLACKWIDOW-SPACE-INVADERS-GORF-RIPOFF-DEFENDER-FROGGER-PHOENIX)

FailFish
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer